• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Been thinking about this after seeing many threads where someone is asking for a handgun for their (wife/mother/senior/random old fart). They want one that is easy to operate, has low recoil, decent capacity and easy to grip. There is never any one best solution.

That's where my idea comes in. I call it the "Jitterbug" handgun.

(for background on the name Jitterbug, go here: The Best Phone For Seniors The Simple Smart Jitterbug Plus Red | GreatCall Jitterbug has become synonymous for "overly simple for old people".)

I'm thinking it would about the size of the SR22 or PK380, not steel but not polymer either, maybe aluminum framed, double stack but still narrow, low caliber but still effective, so say .380. And no safeties, or maybe just a grip safety, nothing that has to be flipped off.

Does such a puppy exist? I know the Bersa Thunder fits many of these criteria, as does the aforementioned PK380, but both are single stacks.

And it would have to be marketed similar to the Jitterbug, for a specific subset of users. ;)

What do you think? What changes would you make to my design?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Look up Palm Pistol. this was tried and was a big enough flop I was given my deposit back for mine. I never came to market but they made some ridiculously expensive ammo tailored for it and you can still get some of that if you want it.

The Palm Pistol

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think the idea is sound, but there are some design challenges.

#1 Recoil springs "weak" enough to make working the slide easy, but strong enough to operate the pistol (goes for striker, DAO of SA)
    #2 In a double action revolver, a trigger pull light enough to be easy to pull, but operating a hammer with enough force to reliably activate the primer
    #3 Magazine springs light enough for easy loading, but stiff enough to reliably feed
    #4 In a single action pistol, light trigger is easy, but then you probably need an external safety.

Can it be done? Yes, but with those competing issues, there's not much of a safety margin. Self defense guns have to work correctly every time. Riding the edge of "weak enough" recoil springs, striker springs and mainsprings courts unreliability.

I saw an article a couple of months ago and the Colt Mustang and colt 1903 and 1908 were suggested for this purpose.

I guess a Beretta with a tip-up barrel could work too... a .22 or .32 is better than nothing.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think there's a place in the market. I know my 80-year-old mother could not rack the slide on a pistol, but she could pull the trigger on a revolver if the gun was not too heavy. She actually held and dry-fired both my LCR and my 686. She can't even hold the 686 up. While she can handle the trigger on the LCR, I worry that she would not be able to handle the recoil.

Another issue to consider (which I have) is that someone who is elderly, handicapped, or strength-compromised is at higher risk of having a gun taken from them. If someone could easily knock them down and/or grab a gun from them, should they even have one?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    prod-sderring-main-1.jpg

22mag or 32 H&Rmag or 38Spcl or 380 or 9mm

Lots of ammo options.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    :p

But seriously. What was the point of that? He basically said "Granny's not strong enough to rack the slide? Yes she is. Problem solved."

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    :p

But seriously. What was the point of that? He basically said "Granny's not strong enough to rack the slide? Yes she is. Problem solved."

My point was there really is no need for a "jitterbug" gun. If you had something like the PK380, stored properly there should be no need to rack the slide. Granny should be able to throw as much brass as she had pre loaded in mags.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My point was there really is no need for a "jitterbug" gun. If you had something like the PK380, stored properly there should be no need to rack the slide. Granny should be able to throw as much brass as she had pre loaded in mags.

Ok, I get that. True enough. He just bugs me. Seriously, my ex's mother was a crackhead. Now I'm having flashbacks. :n00b:

Sorry for hijacking. Back to the issue. My main concern is still that by giving a weak/elderly person a handgun, you run the risk of arming a bad guy who was not previously armed simply because he grabbed the gun.

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok, I get that. True enough. He just bugs me. Seriously, my ex's mother was a crackhead. Now I'm having flashbacks. :n00b:

Sorry for hijacking. Back to the issue. My main concern is still that by giving a weak/elderly person a handgun, you run the risk of arming a bad guy who was not previously armed simply because he grabbed the gun.

Just because they are weak, and elderly does not mean they should not be armed however; if they have some kind of altered mental status that's another story.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    That gun is called the remington R51... That's like every single one of its main selling points.

My thought exactly. It fits all of the points except it is not a "high" capacity at 7+1 in 9mm. And according to one review/ demo I've seen, it is actually very easy to pull the slide. Assuming there aren't some issues that pop up when it is released for sale, this maybe the "jitterbug" of handguns.
    I'm actually very interested in it myself.

Stay safe

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Beretta 86. .380 with tip up barrel, so no need to rack the slide if you can't. Decent size, large for a .380 but still a good size. 8 round capacity is plenty for any shooting Granny finds herself in. Has a thumb safety, but use is optional. Maintenance is incredibly simple, doesn't even require slide removal to properly clean and lubricate.

Top Bottom