• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shunsley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    Done properly and with forethought, there's no reason that you couldn't easily remove the wall prior to listing it for sale.

Yes - it WOULD hurt resale 99% of the time, but if you plan it, you can maximize your enjoyment without doing harm to the value. Just keep in mind that it's a "temporary wall" as you build it, and enjoy!

I agree just keep in mind its a temporary wall. Anything can be removed before you sell it. I have a wall in my house i will be removing if I ever decide to sell

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    This seems like the kind of thing that would be neutral to home value (so long as the garage still fits the number of vehicles for which it was designed).

The best way to check is to talk to a good realtor. They have a much better sense about these things than I (or likely most here) do. For some reason I think 88GT does a lot of real estate, but I think I've picked that up as context rather than directly reading it, so that experience may or may not be relevant.

shunsley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    Is it a condo? I've not seen a two-bedroom house before.

I dont believe your your upgrade would deminish value in any way. It's not something that is out of the ordinary.

If you've never seen a two bedroom then you never seen a house like mine. When we bought it it was originally built as a 1 bedroom. Don't ask me why we bought a i bedroom cause I still don't know what we were thinking. However since then I have made it a 3 bedroom and remodeled the basement adding value.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have never priced garage doors before. Any idea how much I'd be looking for something like that?

I don't know about the price of new garage doors, but if the doors themselves function well, I would just adjust, seal and insulate. Seals don't cost much and adjustment may be free. A pre-packaged insulation kit runs about $60, but buying full sheets of foam and doing it yourself will same some money. Here are a couple of decent videos about adjustment and insulation that I have used in the past. My doors have 1" of insulation, but the frame leaves room for about another 3/4", so I may be adding that. To me, those big doors are a huge potential heat loss, so taking care of them first seemed pretty important. The top gap on my doors was way too big (over 1"), so just knocking that down to 1/4" allowed the door to sit against the weather stripping and blocked a lot of cold air. Good luck!

[video=youtube;7QuiQDICrkA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QuiQDICrkA[/video]

[video=youtube;Ramv7X2UPwg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ramv7X2UPwg[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This seems like the kind of thing that would be neutral to home value (so long as the garage still fits the number of vehicles for which it was designed).

The best way to check is to talk to a good realtor. They have a much better sense about these things than I (or likely most here) do. For some reason I think 88GT does a lot of real estate, but I think I've picked that up as context rather than directly reading it, so that experience may or may not be relevant.

I don't think she'll answer PM's.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...~~-who-banned-today-2-~~-130.html#post5526876

If it's well done, it should be pretty neutral to positive. If there's really only two bedrooms, then having an extra room would be good.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    How big is the garage? Could you just insulate the whole space so it would be easy to heat.
    Wouldn't that kinda depend on how often you open and close the garage door? Seemed like we were always losing heat that way, and we did run a bigger furnace in our garage, when we replaced our home's furnace.

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    My sister is a Realtor.....she constantly warns clients that closing in a garage to make a room significantly impacts the resale value of a house, because most folks won't trust the way it's constructed (most folks slap 'em together), plus they generally want the room for cars and such.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    What about NOW? A quick option might be to hang a heavy drap from the ceilng creating a temporary wall for now. Seperate the rest when things are this cold. Heck even a tarp would reate the seperation and hold the heat where you want it. Command hooks on the ceiling ... A couple of heavy things holding to the floor and you have a quick option while investigating long term options.

Wish my garage was that large. Luckily my wife is wonderful enough for me to put a bike in the dining room.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have never priced garage doors before. Any idea how much I'd be looking for something like that?

Talk to View Profile: marcweid - INGunOwners He's the man when it comes to garage doors. He owns 1st Choice Garage Doors in Avon. He did some springs as well as insulated door kits for me.

He's done work for several other INGO members, and is a stand up guy.

Top Bottom