Would you agree to a required class if...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you trade for a required class

• Total voters

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    When my nephew was getting into firearms and I gave him his first pistol as a condition he had to take a NRA Pistol Safety course with me. He did well in the course. It was a great refesher course for me too. Now we both need to take the next level NRA Firearm Training course.

How would you like it if your legislators REQUIRED you and your nephew to take another course before you could take your gun out of the safe?

Training is a GREAT idea. EVERYONE should available themselves of the opportunities. I APPLAUD those that already have, and see the value of MORE.

You should not be coerced by threat of violence, just so you can exercise a right you already have. It is already wrong, and we should NOT make it wronger!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You can already do that. Go to a Utah class (they are held in Indiana) and get your non-res Utah license and you can carry in Ohio. It's still crap that you should have to do that, but the option is already there.

I'm not talking about making it mandatory, and no I can't already do that. When I show up for the class, I don't get my fingerprints taken. The background check is not completed during the class. I won't get to drive home from the range legally carrying my pistol. I would still have to apply and wait for the Utah license, and still need to get my Indiana LTCH.

I think that if if a one stop process were available, a lot of people would take the training. I would have gladly paid for that just for the convenience (how can a trip to the range and talking about guns all day be an inconvenience!

But it should not be mandatory, just another option like L1 is.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm not talking about making it mandatory, and no I can't already do that. When I show up for the class, I don't get my fingerprints taken. The background check is not completed during the class. I won't get to drive home from the range legally carrying my pistol. I would still have to apply and wait for the Utah license, and still need to get my Indiana LTCH.

I think that if if a one stop process were available, a lot of people would take the training. I would have gladly paid for that just for the convenience (how can a trip to the range and talking about guns all day be an inconvenience!

You do not need an LTCH to transport your firearms anywhere.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I was specifically referring to your ability to carry in Ohio and showing that you can already do that. I never said it should be mandatory. Quite vehemently the opposite, in fact. By the way, in Indiana, you can now legally carry a pistol to and from a range without having an LTCH (as of July 2011).

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    Here's my thoughts. Keep the ltch the same, background check, finger print, etc. for the four year license. Alter the lifetime with a class, similar to the ABATE for motorcycles, and use that lifetime license as your background check. As once was, show your license and check out. You would still have the same opportunity to purchase and carry as you do presently, but incentive to take the training for a lifetime for hassle free purchase. A coupon for discounted purchase at participating LGS would be a nice bonus.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Voluntary training supported by pro gun organizations would be awesome.

As to your question; no.

The more I think about it, the more I think I may contact my state legislators to suggest the idea.

If they want to get more new shooters to be better trained in firearm safety, operation, legal self defense issues, etc., there needs to be some more liberty minded incentive than mandating it. A one stop LTCH would be a good incentive I think.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    With all the first time gun buyers we are all seeing now, how many of them have done the paperwork for their carry license. I would feel better knowing that they needed to show at least a minimum amount of proficiency with their weapon of choice. Don't make it mandatory, but an option, like an express lane at the grocery store.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here's my thoughts. Keep the ltch the same, background check, finger print, etc. for the four year license. Alter the lifetime with a class, similar to the ABATE for motorcycles, and use that lifetime license as your background check. As once was, show your license and check out. You would still have the same opportunity to purchase and carry as you do presently, but incentive to take the training for a lifetime for hassle free purchase. A coupon for discounted purchase at participating LGS would be a nice bonus.

Who pays for the class and the "coupon for discounted purchase"? The LTCH is already priced outside the reach of many Hoosiers, which, in itself, proves that it's an infringement. Now you want to either make it MORE expensive, or shift that burden to all taxpayers? And if you don't want to pay yet another tax (increased cost for the LTCH), then you have to re-beg for permission every four years?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was specifically referring to your ability to carry in Ohio and showing that you can already do that. I never said it should be mandatory. Quite vehemently the opposite, in fact. By the way, in Indiana, you can now legally carry a pistol to and from a range without having an LTCH (as of July 2011).

Eh, someone's going to correct me I'm sure, going from memory here, you can have it in your car, but not locked, loaded, strapped IWB.

Yeah, you've made it very clear you don't support mandatory training. I don't either. But I support the hell out of the one-stop LTCH as an option. I think it took like 3 weeks to get mine.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Not only would I agree, I'd like to see our side, the gun community, forcefully step forward and propose taking the lead in building the program. We could be our own best friend in the "gun control" battle if we were only smart-enough to realize it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Eh, someone's going to correct me I'm sure, going from memory here, you can have it in your car, but not locked, loaded, strapped IWB.

Its hard to have a conversation when you keep changing the parameters. You didn't say you wanted any of that. You just said "I won't get to drive home from the range legally carrying my pistol".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Eh, I prefer free-market capitalism. State agencies shouldn't do it. And, aside from the 2A issues, mandating the training isn't very free-market.

The coupon thing shouldn't be funded by public money. But I could see a private self defense school/gun range/pro shop offering coupons for a little off on range time, or purchases, when you sign up for their class. Or, maybe a discount on the LTCH/training fee for purchasing a carry weapon from them.

Now THAT would be one-stop. Package deal. Walks into gunstore/range, signs up for class, picks out a handgun, uses it in class, background check done by the time it's finished, walks away carrying new gun, LTCH, done.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I would support something like this with a few modifications.

It would have to be outsourced to private ranges, training schools, etc who certify to provide the class, otherwise it would be turned into a BMV type experience.

Ohio classes are taught by private individuals/ranges/schools, and that is where the corruption lies.

"Give me money, you take the class, I give you a certificate. Don't want to take the class? I think we can work something out here."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Its hard to have a conversation when you keep changing the parameters. You didn't say you wanted any of that. You just said "I won't get to drive home from the range legally carrying my pistol".

Dude, not changing parameters. I thought the parameters were sufficiently implied. What other advantage could be implied from having a LTCH when walking out the door?

I"m not trying to pick an argument. I agree with no mandated training.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Not only would I agree, I'd like to see our side, the gun community, forcefully step forward and propose taking the lead in building the program. We could be our own best friend in the "gun control" battle if we were only smart-enough to realize it.

Ok, you're pro-confiscation. You must also be a liberal gun owner. Only a liberal thinks that government involvement would solve anything.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    In the current political environment where guns are demonized and law-abiding citizens are seen a problem, I don't think we should give one inch. Nothing. Not now, not with this political climate. The feds have shown themselves totally unworthy of any trust whatsoever. The State of Indiana may be a very different story, but now is just not the time for concessions of any kind.

Top Bottom