• ...and so much more!
  • jmach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Columbus
    I have an ultrasonic and tried it on an older pistol,
    one with a brownish parkerized type finish. Glad I pulled it out soon to check
    progress. It discolored the finish some in just a minute or two.
    Maybe just my poor luck or lack of experience, but I'm shy of it now.:dunno:

A friend says he runs his Glocks through and he loves the results.
    so YMMV.

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    Id say no. In the video he said it didnt get all the powder residue off so you still have to clean it the old fashion way to get the job done.
    Kinda reminds me of a automatic dishwasher; you have to wash everything in the sink before you can load it in the machine.
    Probally explains why I dont have one of those either.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I have a very similar model (probably just rebranded to be honest). I dropped my CZ-82 in there except the slide (which contains the firing pin).

I ran it for 4 minutes with just hot (turned the heater on) gun cleaning solvent that was 50/50 with water. Once I removed my pistol from the cleaner, I proceeded to detail it using cotton swabs. Using the swabs, I was able to extract the water from the smallest crevices that I was never able to clean.

Once you are done, oil the heck out of it since it just lost all of its protective coatings. It does a good job of cleaning areas that are next to impossible to clean without fully disassembling the gun, but you must be VERY thorough afterward to get all of the water and get the whole gun re-oiled. Like that video illustrates, it won't always take the carbon off of some surfaces, so they will still need to be scrubbed.

Summary: I will do this method once per year on my CZ-82 because it gets it entirely clean, but it isn't something I will do for regular maintenance. Overall - 6.5/10 usefulness.

PS: I do all of my brass cleaning using this same method, but use 1 drop of dawn dish soap and 1 teaspoon of Lemi Shine...brass looks new.

-Rhino12

indytiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Best results with a ultrasonic is in the middle of the unit.
    Laying on the bottom will not give the best results on what ever your cleaning.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Best results with a ultrasonic is in the middle of the unit.
    Laying on the bottom will not give the best results on what ever your cleaning.

Absolutely correct! Let the water be the source of cleaning. If the gun is hanging (using the typical basket or a custom free-hanging setup), the cleaning will be much better than if you just laid it right on the bottom metal tray (where the transducers are at).

-Rhino12

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    I saw the one where the dude used meangreen or whatever that stuff is called. Looked like his completely cleaned his glock. I was pkanning on just using the meangreen, spraying it on and letting soak then do some scrubbing and rinsing it all off. What you guys think about that route?

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I saw the one where the dude used meangreen or whatever that stuff is called. Looked like his completely cleaned his glock. I was pkanning on just using the meangreen, spraying it on and letting soak then do some scrubbing and rinsing it all off. What you guys think about that route?

I've never tried it, but here's my process of checking if a new cleaner is ok for my own guns.

1. Start with a very small (and usually hidden, like the top inside of the slide) piece of metal. Apply a small amount and clean it off after letting it set for a short time.

2. Wait 2-4 hours.

3. If it doesn't discolor or seem to damage the metal, you can try it on more pieces of your firearm.

4. If you are satisfied, proceed to clean your entire weapon.

That said, always check online for previous examples of anything that could/did go wrong. Knowing what is in the cleaner can help a lot too (any acids or bases).

Also, make sure to be VERY careful to get everything off. If it is acidic or a base, ensure you neutralize it (if necessary) once you are done so it doesn't continue to react with your finish or metal.

This method was adapted from the military/boy scout method of determining if something was poisonous to eat.

:twocents:

-Rhino12

BayChaser

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Ultrasonic Cleaner is perfect for DIES manufacturer and other things all tho it can work for the gun as well but to be honest I wouldnt do it.

RobyG78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Rochester
    Ok I only ask because I am not completely familiar with the tech but If you still have to spend the time to actually clean it what is the point? Also why not just use a CLP type solvent in stead of water or a 50/50 solution? :dunno:
    Are those places you can't even get with dental picks, and how did you get the places that are unreachable dry as well without having to disassemble further.

Rob

Top Bottom