• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The water in this state is just nasty, plain and simple. We have power plants raining mercury and other crap down into the water, pesticides from agribusiness, cow:poop: and other animal:poop: everywhere, bad sewage systems, etc.

Stuff that lives in our nasty water ingests all of this.

Hence, no way I'd eat it.

beclende

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    West of town
    Stop eating my smallies:ar15: I fished whitelick a lot last year...I don't keep bass so I haven't eaten fish from the creek, but after spending a ton of time in that water I would feel completely fine eating fish from it. What stretch of the creek are you fishing?...I haven't been north of 36 too far.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Stop eating my smallies:ar15: I fished whitelick a lot last year...I don't keep bass so I haven't eaten fish from the creek, but after spending a ton of time in that water I would feel completely fine eating fish from it. What stretch of the creek are you fishing?...I haven't been north of 36 too far.

I wont go south of 36 LOL the "CSO" if very high in Plainfield and I would just prefer to stay plenty north of that. I think it was measured over twice what Brownsburg's is with 5 pipes compared to Brownsburgs 2. The numbers are couple years old but should still be close. I don't think Avon's water treatment dumps anything they were not on the list. The treatment station is also not on the creek so unless they are sneeking it under the road and thru the woods to the creek then...

That being said I was about 150 yards or so south of 100 "10th street"

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    OK so explain why not the gut? Never heard that one before.

Same here... Anything within the fish is within the blood stream. As for would i eat it. Yes fry it up! I've eatten from little eagle creek. Wont do the retention ponds but they are fun to fish.

Fished white lick here in Avon and in Plainfield. Might have to hit Brownsburg since i work up there. Haven't seen much in white lick myself but everyone tells me the smallies are great in there....

Nathan

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    IndyGuy is right. There's plenty of dilution by the excess rainwater that causes an overflow.

Honestly, at almost all times of the year the water below a treatment plant is cleaner than the water above it. The standards for discharge result in very clean water that usually dilutes the lower quality water in the stream. Non-point source pollution from agricultural and urban runoff tend to result in lots of nasty stuff in the water, and the cleaner water from the WWTP discharge thins that out.

Feel safe in eating the fish.

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Add to the list waste from chemo patients via septic systems and city sewage systems entering surface waters.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    if in doubt, dont eat it. simple as that. its the mercury levels that bother me the most, so I would never eat anything out of body of water that takes factorys discharge. even in lake monroe, I wont eat more than 1 serving every two weeks. if you have kids and or pregnant women, that should be even more of a concern. as for retention ponds? never in a million years.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    They are safe to eat but PLEASE catch and release the smallmouth

Please explain this to me. There is not a shortage so why should I be inclined to throw my fish back? The only thing I could see coming from this is smaller fish due to overpopulation.

erbo12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Greenfield
    :rolleyes:It's probably best to drive a little further and fish in cleaner waters ,like Cataract , Raccoon , or some of the other lakes in Indiana.But you would have to kill a whole day fishing. How bad would that be ?:rolleyes:

Top Bottom