• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    My brother shot a deer last Thursday morning. He skinned it on Saturday. He hasn't processed it. It's still hanging nekkid' in my garage.

He's going to put in my freezer when he's done (since he lives with me).

My question is would you eat it after it hanging for (at least) 5 days in daytime temps of mid-50's & night time temps of mid-30's in an enclosed garage?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not me!

Too warm.

I figure that they make restaurant fridges stay as cold as they are for food safety sake, then "personal" food ought to be at that temp, too.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    50 is about as high as I can go for 1 to 2 days. Here is a good read!

Deer: Hang Time | Field & Stream

Proper aging begins as soon as rigor mortis ends-and this process is definitely not controlled rot. Rot is zillions of bacteria eating the muscle cells, their waste products creating the familiar stench of decaying flesh. Bacteria attack only after meat is exposed to the air, and bacterial rot is accelerated by higher temperatures. It doesn't happen at all if the meat is frozen. To properly age your deer, you must keep it at temperatures above freezing and below about 40 degrees. This holds bacteria (and rot) at bay, allowing natural enzymes to do their work.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Hanging temp should be above freezing up to 40. Bacteria is a real concern they way your bro is handling this deer. Its a real shame to waste an animal like that.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Meat reaches a bacteria danger zone at 45°F... and if it's been held at that temp for more than four hours, consider it spoiled. That's straight from working with the board of health. Anybody eating it after that can get pretty sick. Especially people with compromised immune systems, very young, or very old...
    When in doubt - throw it out.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    no good..throw it out,and tell him not to shoot anymore deer if thats the way he is going to handle it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's coyote bait! That's ALL it's good for after those temps.

I have let a deer hang for WELL over a week, ONLY when it was 20 degrees out!

RD3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    My brother shot a deer last Thursday morning. He skinned it on Saturday. He hasn't processed it. It's still hanging nekkid' in my garage.

He's going to put in my freezer when he's done (since he lives with me).

My question is would you eat it after it hanging for (at least) 5 days in daytime temps of mid-50's & night time temps of mid-30's in an enclosed garage?

No way, not in this weather, too warm

Top Bottom