Would you harvest this deer or let it walk.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harvest or not?

• Total voters

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Been watching this guy grow all summer. If this was on your property would harvest this year or let him walk with hopes he is a monster next year?

Also, anyone want to guess on age and score?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    4.5 years
    I'm bad at scoring in velvet but my guess is 145"+
    He would probably go B&C next year (or close)
    I'd make him bleed. I'm not a booner only kinda guy. I take what is good for my area, and that's damn good. Good luck

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    He is over the threshold that I use. I would shoot him if you have an opportunity. There is no guarantee you will see him next year.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I would let him walk, but that's not much of a barometer, as I don't shoot deer much anymore.

Having said that, I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the hunting public in this state would kill that animal at the first opportunity.

But here's this, from a good friend of mine: don't overthink things you enjoy doing. If you get a shot, your brain will tell you what to do right there in the moment, and most of the higher brain function you spend contemplating it now will not matter when it ACTUALLY matters. (please don't interpret this to mean that higher-brain function TRAINING and DRILLS don't matter...all I am talking about is the "launch button", and whether or not it gets pushed to start the mental program for shot execution)

I have pulled triggers I didn't think I would, and I've put the safety back on when I was consciously ready to "kill, kill, kill". Usually I could later figure out why...but I will admit that there have been a few examples when I never DID figure out why I let one walk. Anytime I've gone against the instinct, the regret has been extremely strong.

-Nate

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For me it would depend on how many acre's you control. If your in control of a 10 acre woods, or hunting on public ground bust him, I guess he is a 3.5 year old deer, but chances of him surviving to 5.5 are very low.

If you control 2000 acre I would let him walk as the odds of him walking in front of another hunter are lower (not 0%, but lower)

That said, if I were particularly cold that day, my thought process would be much shorter.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would let him walk, but that's not much of a barometer, as I don't shoot deer much anymore.

Having said that, I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the hunting public in this state would kill that animal at the first opportunity.

But here's this, from a good friend of mine: don't overthink things you enjoy doing. If you get a shot, your brain will tell you what to do right there in the moment, and most of the higher brain function you spend contemplating it now will not matter when it ACTUALLY matters. (please don't interpret this to mean that higher-brain function TRAINING and DRILLS don't matter...all I am talking about is the "launch button", and whether or not it gets pushed to start the mental program for shot execution)

I have pulled triggers I didn't think I would, and I've put the safety back on when I was consciously ready to "kill, kill, kill". Usually I could later figure out why...but I will admit that there have been a few examples when I never DID figure out why I let one walk. Anytime I've gone against the instinct, the regret has been extremely strong.

-Nate

I saw a buck once that was close to 170. I sit stands in September that I can see a lot of country from, and watch what the deer are doing, etc. During rifle season I sit those stands again, and when I saw this buck I just watched him for 5 minutes or so with bino's. He walked of, and I had an oh ___ moment, because after he left I couldnt figure out why I didnt think to shoot him. I forgot it was no longer late September, it was late November, and my 358 was hanging on the tree beside me.:dunno:

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    This deer is on a 160 acres of private land. I'm a meat hunter first but fill the freezer with does so can be a little picky when it comes to a buck. I let a 2.5 year old 10 walk last year only to have the neighbor gut shoot and lose it. Found it eaten by coyotes a couple weeks later. My guess is this deer is 3.5 and would score in the 130's.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This deer is on a 160 acres of private land. I'm a meat hunter first but fill the freezer with does so can be a little picky when it comes to a buck. I let a 2.5 year old 10 walk last year only to have the neighbor gut shoot and lose it. Found it eaten by coyotes a couple weeks later. My guess is this deer is 3.5 and would score in the 130's.

I only voted after I saw this post. Let him walk and furnish your area with good stock. I have some large deer mounts and pics of my kills. IF the buck was longer in the center I'd probably take him though.
    I hunt for the meat as well and I prefer a younger deer for the freezer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Depends on the place.

High pressure, small parcel hunting................I'd pop him.

My old ground...........opening week of gun, I'd hold out for a Booner.
    Because in yrs past I didn't, and then saw a few LOL.

Did let a 145 walk in gun, watched him for quite a while. Really wanted him with recurve (due to encounter in early bow).
    Nobody around shot him, but he disappeared. Suspect a car got him.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you've got bigger ones on trail cam, and plenty of does.........pass.
    Pop a doe for the freezer and go after a whopper.

If he's the best seen................if you want him, take him.

If something lesser shows up and you want to pop it.........do it.
    Your tag, as long as it's in fair chase.........grill it up!

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    That is a nice deer. My decision on whether to take it on not would depend on a few things. First, I already have a deer like that mounted on my wall. He looks great, but didn't taste too good. So, what incentive do I have for shooting him this year? If he became a monster, then maybe next year I would take him, but probably turn all of his meat into sausage and jerky. If you don't already have a nice deer on your wall, and desire that, what is the chance he will make it until next year? Are you the only hunter in a very large area, or do you own a couple of acres with a whole bunch of other people hunting in the land that surrounds yours? If you are surrounded by other hunters, and want a good mount, I say take him this year. If you control a lot of land, and believe the chances of getting him next year are high, let him grow and get yourself a smaller better tasting deer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    DRT
    I've hunted the same property(s) for about 12 years and that would be, bay FAR, the largest deer (rack) I had seen in the woods I have permission to hunt.
    The largest buck taken from this property is a large 9 pointer. Large body, medium rack.
    I've never even tried to "score" a buck I've taken. Not worth it.

I'm not complaining. Just making an observation.
    I'm lucky to be given running permission for property I do not own or maintain.
    I'm just pointing out that some people can hunt their entire life and never see a deer with a rack that large.
    Others will see that and scoff that it is unacceptable.

Take it?
    You bet I would.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's honestly so hard to say on this one... I personally would let it walk, I would however encourage my other half to shoot it due to the fact it would be a good first buck for her.

I know the whole neighbors thing though, I've passed on a few and that I wasn't so sure on do to what you are thinking (I hunt in Vigo county as I'm assuming you do). I've had a nice conversation with the neighbors though on one occasion about how they will never shoot a big buck if they continually shoot the small ones every year because they will never get big.

It's honestly a personal choice. If you've shot bigger I saw pass, if not consider it.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Little pet peeve here, nothing personal: it's not corn, it's an animal, KILL it. "Harvesting"an animal is PC bull crap trying to pretty it up for the bleeding hearts. Again, nothing against you, I just really can't stand that phrase.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Killing an animal would be shooting it and leaving it to be eaten by another. Harvesting an animal is shooting it and then consuming the flesh for human consumption. There is a difference. Most hunters kill coyotes, but harvest deer, squirrel, bear, rabbit, pheasant, quail, and others. Also, permanently relocating with extreme prejudice is the technique I use for snakes, opossums, raccoons and skunks.

Top Bottom