Would you harvest this deer or let it walk.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harvest or not?

• Total voters

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Killing an animal would be shooting it and leaving it to be eaten by another. Harvesting an animal is shooting it and then consuming the flesh for human consumption. There is a difference. Most hunters kill coyotes, but harvest deer, squirrel, bear, rabbit, pheasant, quail, and others. Also, permanently relocating with extreme prejudice is the technique I use for snakes, opossums, raccoons and skunks.

I agree completely! I kill a lot of varmints but harvest deer, rabbit, and squirrels. If it is going into the freezer it got harvested.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    It's honestly so hard to say on this one... I personally would let it walk, I would however encourage my other half to shoot it due to the fact it would be a good first buck for her.

I know the whole neighbors thing though, I've passed on a few and that I wasn't so sure on do to what you are thinking (I hunt in Vigo county as I'm assuming you do). I've had a nice conversation with the neighbors though on one occasion about how they will never shoot a big buck if they continually shoot the small ones every year because they will never get big.

It's honestly a personal choice. If you've shot bigger I saw pass, if not consider it.

I do most of my hunting in Vigo and some in Sullivan. I would love for my 13 year old have an opportunity for this to be her first buck. He is the best I have on camera this year but the last three years I've shot mature bucks I've never seen before.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    This deer is on a 160 acres of private land. I'm a meat hunter first but fill the freezer with does so can be a little picky when it comes to a buck. I let a 2.5 year old 10 walk last year only to have the neighbor gut shoot and lose it. Found it eaten by coyotes a couple weeks later. My guess is this deer is 3.5 and would score in the 130's.
    I would also guess he is 3-1/2 years old. He's a little thin but still will fatten up some by fall. Since you hunt the 160 acres I guess I would ask what other sized bucks do you have on your trail cameras? If he's the only one then I would try and wait another year and let him produce the herd more. If you have other bucks on the 160 acres then I would be tempted to harvest him this fall. It's a hard call. I passed up a long shot last gun season on a 10 pointer on my land hoping to get him this season. He's not been on my trail cameras anymore since mid December so I think someone else might have gotten him during muzzleloader or late bow.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I would also guess he is 3-1/2 years old. He's a little thin but still will fatten up some by fall. Since you hunt the 160 acres I guess I would ask what other sized bucks do you have on your trail cameras? If he's the only one then I would try and wait another year and let him produce the herd more. If you have other bucks on the 160 acres then I would be tempted to harvest him this fall. It's a hard call. I passed up a long shot last gun season on a 10 pointer on my land hoping to get him this season. He's not been on my trail cameras anymore since mid December so I think someone else might have gotten him during muzzleloader or late bow.

He is the nicest that I have on camera this year but have multiple 2.5 and younger 7 and 8's. We have set aside about 50 acres as a sanctuary so no cameras there. There are definitely other mature bucks on the property but until the rut might never see them. This is last years buck and the biggest body I've ever seen. He had been shot the year before and grew this crazy rack. So far the only deer I've had mounted. I loved his size and character.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Killing an animal would be shooting it and leaving it to be eaten by another. Harvesting an animal is shooting it and then consuming the flesh for human consumption. There is a difference. Most hunters kill coyotes, but harvest deer, squirrel, bear, rabbit, pheasant, quail, and others. Also, permanently relocating with extreme prejudice is the technique I use for snakes, opossums, raccoons and skunks.

Nope. Killing and leaving a varmint vs killing and taking a game animal home. Killing. Don't sugar coat it.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Little pet peeve here, nothing personal: it's not corn, it's an animal, KILL it. "Harvesting"an animal is PC bull crap trying to pretty it up for the bleeding hearts. Again, nothing against you, I just really can't stand that phrase.
    I agree 100%-kind of like getting an animal "put to sleep"by a vet.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    He is the nicest that I have on camera this year but have multiple 2.5 and younger 7 and 8's. We have set aside about 50 acres as a sanctuary so no cameras there. There are definitely other mature bucks on the property but until the rut might never see them. This is last years buck and the biggest body I've ever seen. He had been shot the year before and grew this crazy rack. So far the only deer I've had mounted. I loved his size and character.

Nice Looking Buck! Since you have other bucks on the property I would take the 3-1/2 yr. old.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think you made the decision easy for me by telling us how you let one walk last year only to have the neighbor gut shot the deer and lose him.

In an ideal situation, letting him walk one more year would be great.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    If you primarily kill doe for the freezer then the question is would you mount him? I don't particularly like to eat a buck unless they are a young so the next question is would I mount him. In your case, you have a really nice full faced buck with a unique and large rack. If you let him walk you might have a chance at a really nice 4.5 year old next year who would be a trophy for sure.

I guess you run the risk of him getting killed by someone else but isn't that what makes it fun? The thrill of a year off and then having a chance to see him next year? If you didn't already have a nice trophy I would say go for it. Maybe if it were your first buck with a bow that would be a nice interaction up close with a good deer so I would say go for it then.

Deep down it really boils down to your goals for the season. For me, I always have the goal of taking two doe for meat and then taking my first bow buck. Something along the line of this guy would make me happy. For rifle, unless I see a giant I would pass since I have a nice 9 point already. Even at that I just took his antlers and mounted those since he wasn't a giant. I'll mount one someday when I see the one.... only seen him once at 200 yards in 10 years.

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    No question, he would be down as soon as I had a clean shot. Personally I wouldn't mount it though, but I haven't had any deer I've shot mounted professionally. I just always boil the skulls, let them dry, and throw them on the wall in the gun room.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute

Here are three more up and coming bucks on the property.

I doubt I will have another deer mounted unless it is truly a monster. I'm a fan of European mounts and the money saved equals new toys.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It depends for me. If I knew there were larger bucks on the property he might get to walk depending on what he turns out to be once he sheds his velvet. It also depends where we are in the season, he's less likely to get a pass the later it becomes.

The properties around where we hunt aren't hunted hard and we generally know which bucks are taken (legally). We still end up with bucks that vanish so counting on seeing a particular buck the following year is anyone's guess.

Top Bottom