• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My point being that the original problem does not permit you to save all the people no matter what and also does not allow you to sacrifice yourself. It is not a matter of any person or persons being more valuable, but rather that using what knowledge I have (i.e. 5 strangers on one track, 1 on the other) I must attempt to save as many as possible. By saving the one, you kill the five. Is that a better choice?

My argument to those scenarios are that they are just excersizes in sociology and philosophy. My philosophy is what I described and I would not willingly sacrifice someone to save others unless they wanted to scrifice themselves.

They usually kept changing the rules until it was clear that they only want you to answer one way and that is to sacrifice the one because it is the "right" answer.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    this thread is full of win.

SO lets expand.

Could you you kill one innocent child to end all disease on earth?

gggrrrr u beat me to re-posted a new question. My next question was very similar to yours.

Do you kill 3,000,000,000 (3 billion) people to save 1 who's blood just happens to have the cure for all disease (cancer, aids, etc.) which can then save man kind. 3 Billion BTW is 50% of the earths population.:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    this thread is full of win.

SO lets expand.

Could you you kill one innocent child to end all disease on earth?

Uh, no.

Do you kill 3,000,000,000 (3 billion) people to save 1 who's blood just happens to have the cure for all disease (cancer, aids, etc.) which can then save man kind. 3 Billion BTW is 50% of the earths population.

Nope.

The ends justify the means will not result in a net good, only a net evil.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    gggrrrr u beat me to re-posted a new question. My next question was very similar to yours.

Do you kill 3,000,000,000 (3 billion) people to save 1 who's blood just happens to have the cure for all disease (cancer, aids, etc.) which can then save man kind. 3 Billion BTW is 50% of the earths population.:D

Nope, I wouldn't do it to save the one that can cure all disease. It would be done because there are far too many people on this planet.

How old is the innocent child that I'd have to kill to cure all disease? Under 5, that would be pretty easy but as they age they become stronger and smarter.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Nope, I wouldn't do it to save the one that can cure all disease. It would be done because there are far too many people on this planet.

How old is the innocent child that I'd have to kill to cure all disease? Under 5, that would be pretty easy but as they age they become stronger and smarter.

child so assume under thirteen. We will say for sake of argument shoot the child. You can pick gun.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'd prefer to kill all 6, but i could see leaving one to go back and tell the others they're next.

Top Bottom