• Would you Take the Shot???

• Total voters

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Yes, however its not that simple. Imo, the proper way to go about this is call 911, tell the dispatcher to tell the leo on scene you have a clear shot, and are confident you will make the shot without civilian casualties. Than see what the le tell dispatch, with saying that, this is a fast paced thing happening, by the time all this is relayed you may not have that shot no more. Any other scenario in my opinion is nothing more than suicide, you shoot out your window without police knowing where your shooting 100%, you're asking for leo to light you up.

Last edited:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I beg to differ. It would be visible. And im not just guessing, im stating a fact. Maybe they would be too focused and miss it but if they were looking in that direction they would see it and then you could expect incoming.

Exactly, shooting in a dark room would be no different than taking a flashlight and turning it on and off. No matter where you aim the light in the room, its going to be able to be seen outside through a window.

RhuntUSNV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I beg to differ. It would be visible. And im not just guessing, im stating a fact. Maybe they would be too focused and miss it but if they were looking in that direction they would see it and then you could expect incoming.

This is not a fact. From the direction the picture is taken the police are to the right with the suspects down the street left of the house. If the shot is taken from the back right corner of the room with lights on the muzzle flash would not be so noticable. Police would be able to recognize direction of fire but not specific unless they were fixated on the house to begin with. :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I also was wondering how it would look if a armed citizens would have used an AR or AK to. Assist officers for general public safety along with assisting the officers.
    A Rambo ammmm, NO!
    Someone willing to shoot a SOB in the back that deserves it, YUP!
    Or atleast put them in a crossfire to assist the officers,YUP!

Under a everyday situations?
    But due to the situation at hand, no hesitation

Most likely you would be shot by the cops.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Only if they broke into my house. I believe in due process. It is the police's job to capture suspects if possible. Anyone jumping to the conclusion that they are guilty until proven innocent is a tyrant.

NiDanHeno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    New Palestine, IN
    I voted no. Reason being, as several have stated, now I'm engaged in a police shooting without their understanding of my role. Not their consent per se but adding another actor in an already active shooter scenerio should involve some method of ID/communication. Yes this certainly could be a case by case decision but from what I'm gathering here I'm sticking with no. Had to answer without the photo as it has already been taken down but not sure it matters really.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I'm not taking a shot unless they are coming thru my door. Just because an officer is in danger, how do you claim YOUR life was in danger?

Now.............If I have a clear shot from my third floor window and I have them lined up in my scope...........I MIGHT call 911 and tell them. If I get the go ahead from them and they tell the onsite cops not to shoot ME.....that's a slightly different story.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Without proof, I'd take no life. Anyone who came at me or my family would be proof enough... but they didn't and I still have seen no defining proof that they did anything wrong.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Only if they broke into my house. I believe in due process. It is the police's job to capture suspects if possible. Anyone jumping to the conclusion that they are guilty until proven innocent is a tyrant.

So if someone was shooting at you would you wait for the police to show up or would you protect yourself?
    When I see someone in the act of shooting at the police who match the description of terrorist who just bombed your city I think there is only one solid fact.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm not taking a shot unless they are coming thru my door. Just because an officer is in danger, how do you claim YOUR life was in danger?

Now.............If I have a clear shot from my third floor window and I have them lined up in my scope...........I MIGHT call 911 and tell them. If I get the go ahead from them and they tell the onsite cops not to shoot ME.....that's a slightly different story.

To answer your first paragraph. Your life doesn't have to be in danger to legally shoot someone when some other persons life is in mortal danger.

No dispatcher will ever give the take down order ever to a citizen. That would open them up to huge liability. They will stay on the phone and listen to you gurgling and dying in your own blood but they won't even tell you to defend yourself.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

They are guilty of shooting at police. And putting a lot of missed shots into your friends and neighbors homes.
    You do not have to make a judgement about the bombing. But they are shooting.
    So tell me. The shooting goes on for a few minutes. A hundred or so rounds are put into your best friends house. And later you find out a stray round killed his kid.
    How are you going to live with that?

I voted no. Reason being, as several have stated, now I'm engaged in a police shooting without their understanding of my role. Not their consent per se but adding another actor in an already active shooter scenerio should involve some method of ID/communication. Yes this certainly could be a case by case decision but from what I'm gathering here I'm sticking with no. Had to answer without the photo as it has already been taken down but not sure it matters really.

This is probably the best reason I can see against. Very good arguement.
    But, there have been citizens jumping in and saving the police. I'm not saying it wouldn't be dangerous though. Good argument.

Why do you need to prove YOUR life is in danger?
    Not sure on Indiana law. But here you can shoot to save someone's life.
    If someone wants to shoot your child, are you going to say, "It's not my life. I can't prove a threat to MY life."?

Without proof, I'd take no life. Anyone who came at me or my family would be proof enough... but they didn't and I still have seen no defining proof that they did anything wrong.

You mean, besides shooting police officers?
    Endangering yourself, your family, and your neighbors?
    Other than that?

So if someone was shooting at you would you wait for the police to show up or would you protect yourself?
    When I see someone in the act of shooting at the police who match the description of terrorist who just bombed your city I think there is only one solid fact.

Thank you Trigger Time.:yesway:

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    I'd have my long arms handy while monitoring the situation.

If such an event happens in front of your house, one can never assume that they won't bust in trying to escape or hide.

I was at my mothers house in Shelbyville when the police had a shootout with that guy on bath salts. I got her into the farthest room, turned off the lights, locked doors & windows and had my carry weapon handy should he have attempted to enter the house. She lives 2 blocks from where the initial shots were fired by the perp.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After reading most of these posts I am wondering how any one that is armed and worthy could just let these A-holes shoot up the neighborhood. If some innocent child or even adult was wounded or killed by a stray round and I could have put an end to it, well, sleep would come hard for a long time.
    To take these shots while everyone is involved with what is right in front of them would not be difficult as from the pics they are in the clear and focused at the LEO firing on them. 4 well placed shots would have ended the whole ordeal right there. Yes, questions to be answered, media to deal with, being hunted by other dirt bags...maybe.
    Worry's of muzzle flare etc are secondary to the issues at hand....a wild fire fight in the street outside your home. The possibility of someone you know dying as a result is the issue. LEO as well. LEO is standing off with these A$$ sacks in defense of the city and to help would not be out of line. JMHO.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Pictures don't load.

They were removed for the moment.

Description would be.

Distance = from a house to the street.
    . Not a long distance like some country or suburbs, more like the city.

From a 2nd or 3rd floor window. Any missed shot would hit the street, not the neighbor.

2 guys hiding behind car, facing to the camera right. 90 degrees. Where the cops are.

sometime after dusk I think. But enough light to pick out 2 guys shooting.

Top Bottom