• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I went to a yard sale this morning. Reason I went it was a few miles from my place. Yes I still have all my body parts and was CC'ing for my safety.

Address was a nice house in the country, but when I knocked on the door, they pointed me to the trailer behind the barn about 400 feet away. She said it is at my son's house.

Behind the barn was a 40 year old trailer and a collapsed trailer filled with moldy junk. The sale was some stuff in an old barn and under tarps on homemade trailers. Using a match to get rid of the junk would be too expensive, but I found some deals and somehow spent $110.

While talking I had a chance to peek in the trailer house when the guy wanted to sell me some stuff I didn't want. The roof is leaking, the floors are a mess and the furniture is well used and torn. Contrast that to mom and dads home with everything nice and new. As we talked he told me he has 5 kids and one more on the way. He had a real nice 50 inch plus flatscreen.

I did myob....but as a parent, I would never let my kids live in a setting like this if it was on my own property!

Should I be upset at the parents for letting him and his family live in trash or happy they have provided him a home?

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Hard to answer without knowing what has gone on in the past. Maybe they have given, and given, and given some more, and he just squanders everything away. You just never can tell. Makes you wonder when he is living like that but has a 50" flatscreen. :twocents:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A grown man can make his own way in the world. With the big flat screen and dumpy trailer, it sounds like he has his priorities straight.

At some point, they have to come off the teat.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Hard to answer without knowing what has gone on in the past. Maybe they have given, and given, and given some more, and he just squanders everything away. You just never can tell. Makes you wonder when he is living like that but has a 50" flatscreen. :twocents:

It's not all that uncommon IMO. Poor isn't about the amount of money one doesn't have but what one does with the money one does have.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It's everywhere! I wish there were something that could be done but there isn't. I see dirty kids all the time and it breaks my heart. I hear parents cuss out their kids and it breaks my heart.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I hear parents cuss out their kids and it breaks my heart.

My son tears up if I raise my voice...I couldn't cuss AT him. WITH him is another story :D My job as his mom is to set him up to be successful. To teach him the things he needs to know to be the best man he can be. These parents did a bad job

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    maybe he should stop having kids so he could afford a better FREE trailer to live in :dunno:

I find that once facts come into play the sob story gets to be more like a do stupid things win stupid prizes story. in a lot of cases, not all.

when will some people grow up and stop mooching off mommy and daddy?

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    isnt your welfare $ dependent on how many chil'rens you gots? maybe he should have a couple more so he could get that 360.

not if he's not the primary caregiver. Then he's payin for them there youngin's

nevermind, read that wrong. I was thinking support money.

Last edited:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    not if he's not the primary caregiver. Then he's payin for them there youngin's

nevermind, read that wrong. I was thinking support money.
    you must not pay any. i never confuse child support with anything. except forced sodomy with a sharp object.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Kids range for 16 to 1 year old and a baby on the way. I'd guess the mom is 35 and the dad is in his 30's. Nine cars and trucks in front of the two trailers. One pickup was working and all the others had leaked oil into the ground around them. Or he just changes the oil into the dirt........

She said the kids play in the old trailer and the floors had dropped in places........No banjo was playing .......but I wonder what the school aged kids looked like?

The one year old was looking for attention from me while the dad showed me stuff he wanted to sell...........he tried real hard to sell me junk.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    If anyone ever scratches their head and wonders, check out Ruby Payne and her book "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Framework-Understanding-Poverty-Ruby-Payne/dp/1929229143"]Framework For Understanding Poverty[/ame]," among others (you can check it out at the library, I'm sure).

It doesn't make sense to you, because you've not lived in the "culture" (for lack of a better word). It's similar to the difference between liberal and conservative (not the same, but it gives you something a little more familiar to compare). The wealthy don't understand a lot of the things the middle class does, either, FWIW. It doesn't make it okay to raise kids in a place that ought to be condemned, but does shed (pardon the pun) light into understanding why some people do the things they do. ....just sayin'.

Top Bottom