• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I did a quick Google and it looks like *most* of his knives were black powder. Made in Bedford, IN. Didn't see anyone mention whether it needed to be licensed as an AOW or not though...

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Ballistic knives are firearms that shoot the blade as a projectile, and are classified as AOW's. Firearms that do not use fixed ammunition (blackpowder/muzzleloading) do not fall under the purview of the NFA.

Now, a blackpowder ballistic knife? could go either way, have to check the NFA text. But this particular knife-gun would be kosher if it's blackpowder. Might even be kosher if it's rimfire, I believe the knife-gun AOW's were directed towards knives concealing the gun-part, but this one doesn't really do that.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Ballistic knives are firearms that shoot the blade as a projectile, and are classified as AOW's. Firearms that do not use fixed ammunition (blackpowder/muzzleloading) do not fall under the purview of the NFA.

Now, a blackpowder ballistic knife? could go either way, have to check the NFA text. But this particular knife-gun would be kosher if it's blackpowder. Might even be kosher if it's rimfire, I believe the knife-gun AOW's were directed towards knives concealing the gun-part, but this one doesn't really do that.

AOW's cover guns that don't "look like" guns. This would probably qualify if it takes fixed ammo. An example would be a pen gun. A pen gun that shoots while it looks like a pen (completely straight) is an AOW. A pen gun that has to be folded to resemble the shape of a handgun (an obtuse angle) is NOT an AOW. Even though the "mechanism" of the gun is always visible on this knife, given that it would never "look" like a gun, I'd say it should be an AOW, again, if it's not blackpowder.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Good point. I can see your logic there.

Woah, woah. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and bring "logic" in a conversation about the NFA...

I think the intention of the AOW in this aspect is that a firearm is concealed inside a non-firearm object. Gun-in-a-cane/briefcase/wallet/knife/etc. This particular device is very obviously not a gun inside a knife, and the gun part is readily identified upon casual observation. A Tech Branch letter would be a big help to clarify in re: fixed ammo, but this doesn't seem to be a "concealable" device.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I would call it a gun with a knife. Think of it like a very tiny pistol with a very tiny bayonet.

I, however, am not the BATFE. They may very well consider it a gun disguised as a knife.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    Woah, woah. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and bring "logic" in a conversation about the NFA...

I think the intention of the AOW in this aspect is that a firearm is concealed inside a non-firearm object. Gun-in-a-cane/briefcase/wallet/knife/etc. This particular device is very obviously not a gun inside a knife, and the gun part is readily identified upon casual observation. A Tech Branch letter would be a big help to clarify in re: fixed ammo, but this doesn't seem to be a "concealable" device.

I never intended to say that the NFA was logical, but that Bigtanker had arrived at his conclusion taking a different route than I.

I try to not think logically when it comes to things like the ATF, NFA, and GCA, as logic inherently makes understanding these things more difficult. :)

Top Bottom