Wounded Warrior Foundation Hunt Camp Atterbury - HELP!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Wounded Warrior Project's Hunt Camp Atterbury - HELP!!

OK fellow INGOer's, we are in need of some major help. I am helping out with the Wounded Warrior Project's gun hunt at Camp Atterbury on Nov. 14th - 17th. We will have 20 -25 wounded warriors coming in from all over the states to hunt. As many of you know this is a great project that helps get these troops back out into the woods. Please see the WW website for more details about the WW Foundation and Project. woundedwarriorproject.org

We just had a major Indy car dealership back out on us at the last minute for supplying weapons to these troops. They were going to purchase new IN legel deer rifles for each soldier that was coming to hunt. The plan was to have them hunt with said rifle then surprise them and have them be able to take the rifle home. That plan is obviously scrapped. We have managed to come up with enough weapons (12g, 20g and a few muzzleloaders) for each soldier to use during the 3 day hunt but we still need a few. Some of these soldiers aren't physically able to fire a larger weapon such as a 12g. We are looking for a few (maybe 6 - 8) IN legal pistol caliber rifles for these soldiers to use. Anyone on here willing to let us use/borrow your extra rifle for a couple days? They will be in my care and I will gurantee 100% they will be taken care of and returned in excellent condition.

I would even go a step further and ask if anyone/gunshop/business wants to donate rifles, scopes, new clothing or other weapons we could give away to the soldiers as gifts. If so, please contact me and I can give out all details and show credentials and so forth. I am not the only volunteer helping out with this cause and we have others asking right now for help so I will update the thread when we receive the help we need. Please contact me via PM or thru the thread if you can provide any assistance to us. Thanks in advance. CJ Cochran

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I certainly don't mean any offense when I say this so please don't take it that way.

Can anybody vouch for Dukshed? He seems to stick to the classifieds and doesn't really participate in many discussions so I don't know that I can fully trust him in care of my very expensive deer gun. Other, respected members vouching for him would ease my mind.

With that said, I have a .458 socom AR that I could possibly furnish and I also have plenty of 300 gr HP ammo to provide as well providing that you at least make an attempt to recover the brass from any practice sessions or other shots that may be taken. A few lost pieces won't break the bank, but they do run almost $1 each for brass alone.

Recoil on a .458 is going to be pushing into the shotgun range, but it's more like the recoil of a shotgun with birdshot, not shotgun with slugs (there is a very big difference).

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have asked a good friend who's a Navy Chief assigned at Atterbury too check it out for me.

Being a former Southport resident, I don't know if I know the OP or not.

I know he took a helluva buck last year and has been here since the beggining of 2009.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    1 .458 socom on the list... I'll try to work out the logistics to get it to Atterbury to save Dukshead a trip to pick it up. I might actually be able to kill 3 birds with one stone on this. I may have to make a trip to Atterbury anyways, and I have to meet an INGO member in Brownsburg or Seymour... this might work out fairly well...

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Thanks for all the offers guys! I am still in the process of answering PM's so I will get back to each of you. I've had lots of offers for shotguns and muzzeloaders and I thank each of you but we still need a couple more smaller caliber weapons for these guys to have the option of using. Thanks again in advance. CJ

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Again, thanks for the PM's guys. I am in the process of getting back to everyone. We still need 2-3 more smaller caliber weapons to let these guys choose from. Please help! We will also take lots of pics with the guys with their game and weapo and be able to provide you with a pic and story. Thanks again. Jason

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I do not have any firearms that fit your needs, however I am an American Legion member and we try to do anything we can for these guys. I would be happy to check at my post and see what if anything can be done to help out..

Top Bottom