• Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    read the specs on the whole rifle

probably not, most think they are all the same

Can I get a translator for this ???

Honestly there are a lot of differences between a $500 AR and a $1000 AR. Most people won't take the time to learn those differences.

Honestly some people do educate themselves on the differences and know what to look for and decide that the $700 DPMS, (which is what we were talking about not the $500 unknown Bear) suits their needs over the $1000 Colt. Then other people educate themselves on what's important in the rifle and build it to their needs. Me, I own only one that I bought complete, my first which is a Bushmaster, the rest I built to serve a certain purpose. AR's are like Lay's potato chips, just can't have one. :):

Again, accuracy and reliability are what is truly important. I'm sure the bullet doesn't care what name is on the rifle as it travels down the barrel just as I'm sure the target doesn't care what gun shot the bullet when it get's hit. Is the finish on the Colt better, sure, is the steel in the barrel better, maybe, is the fire control better, again maybe, are most people going to shoot enough to notice, probably not. Just my opinion but it is based on taking the time to learn the differences.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not every rifle is going to be used as a self defense weapon, patrol rifle, etc. For many purposes, the $500 gun probably is JUST AS GOOD as the $1500 rifle. How many folks buy one just to have one, occasionally poke some holes in paper 25y away, maybe ring some steel, and that's it. They will get no more enjoyment out of the more expensive rifle, and enjoyment is why they bought it.

Sheesh, there's a reason there are different market segments. If we were talking about health care, INGO would be full of "not everyone wants a Cadillac", but you talk about ARs and if you aren't buying a Cadillac you are obviously ignorant. Some folks just want a Focus. Relax.

**WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE ON VIDEO***

Every question and answer on a gun forum - YouTube

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    So the DPMS Oracle I got yesterday At the gun show for $550 wont fire a round...If you agree stand in front of one... If the bullet hits what you aimed at IT'S JUST AS GOOD AS THE NEXT ONE. Gun snobs, sheez...

A single shot .22 isn't something to stand in front of, so I fail to get the wit within that remark. There is a difference between satisfactory long-term performance and excellence.

so does a slingshot....

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Honestly some people do educate themselves on the differences and know what to look for and decide that the $700 DPMS, (which is what we were talking about not the $500 unknown Bear) suits their needs over the $1000 Colt.

and that DPMS is what I was referring too.................

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by sig1473

My $700 DPMS AR is just as good as your $975 Colt 6920:ugh: I love that mentality.

What makes the colt so much better other than a 1/7 barrel?

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    and that DPMS is what I was referring too.................

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by sig1473

My $700 DPMS AR is just as good as your $975 Colt 6920:ugh: I love that mentality.

What makes the colt so much better other than a 1/7 barrel?

Well I'm confused, the original post was about a $500 dollar Bear Aresenal AR, followed by the $700 dollar DPMS quote to which you then stated, "Honestly there are a lot of differences between a $500 AR and a $1000 AR. Most people won't take the time to learn those differences." So you can see my confusion, the $500 price point was always in referrence to the Bear and the $700 to the DPMS. Maybe it's just a typo on your part or maybe a little back peddling but either way your statement would lead one to believe you were talking about the Bear.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Well I'm confused, the original post was about a $500 dollar Bear Aresenal AR, followed by the $700 dollar DPMS quote to which you then stated, "Honestly there are a lot of differences between a $500 AR and a $1000 AR. Most people won't take the time to learn those differences." So you can see my confusion, the $500 price point was always in referrence to the Bear and the $700 to the DPMS. Maybe it's just a typo on your part or maybe a little back peddling but either way your statement would lead one to believe you were talking about the Bear.

I don't backpeddle. I don't really care if it is a $500 XYZ or a $700 QRS. To compare a less expensive AR15 to a expensive AR15 and say they are the same because they both shoot the same or insert any other argument, is my point.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    No one said they were the same but they do function the same and produce the same results. If you want to be a gun snob please be one but to deride a person's choice with out giving facts is my point. So far you have managed to avoid stating what exactly the difference are between a $700 dollar AR and a $1000 dollar AR.

The differences that counts may be in the barrel,the bolt and the workmanship but other than that not much else. There are only 4 major casting company's that make uppers and lowers that are re-branded, the same forge that makes Stag Arms also make Colt along with S&W and some Wilson Combats and others so the quality is same for all. Buffer springs?, at this price point they all are stainless not chromium so no difference there. Buffer, pick you weight not much difference there either. Fire control group at this price point they are standard milspec along with the upper parts group, not any difference there. A gas tube is a gas tube, not much difference. Now the bolt carrier group can be quite a bit different but at a $1000 or less it's going to be milspec and if the gas key is staked properly and the bolt hardened to spec not a problem there . That leaves the barrel and again at the $700 to $1000 price point I don't believe there is going to be that much of a difference between the two. So it really boils down to the quailty of the workmanship and if you what your looking for it's not a problem. So in reality your paying $300 more to have Colt on the side and that's fine but don't be a gun snob and deride some one else's choice, at least not with out actually giving a reason why one is better than the other except for the name on it.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    No one said they were the same but they do function the same and produce the same results. If you want to be a gun snob please be one but to deride a person's choice with out giving facts is my point. So far you have managed to avoid stating what exactly the difference are between a $700 dollar AR and a $1000 dollar AR.

The differences that counts may be in the barrel,the bolt and the workmanship but other than that not much else. There are only 4 major casting company's that make uppers and lowers that are re-branded, the same forge that makes Stag Arms also make Colt along with S&W and some Wilson Combats and others so the quality is same for all. Buffer springs?, at this price point they all are stainless not chromium so no difference there. Buffer, pick you weight not much difference there either. Fire control group at this price point they are standard milspec along with the upper parts group, not any difference there. A gas tube is a gas tube, not much difference. Now the bolt carrier group can be quite a bit different but at a $1000 or less it's going to be milspec and if the gas key is staked properly and the bolt hardened to spec not a problem there . That leaves the barrel and again at the $700 to $1000 price point I don't believe there is going to be that much of a difference between the two. So it really boils down to the quailty of the workmanship and if you what your looking for it's not a problem. So in reality your paying $300 more to have Colt on the side and that's fine but don't be a gun snob and deride some one else's choice, at least not with out actually giving a reason why one is better than the other except for the name on it.

I believe you're wrong on the barrel aspect. The Cheaper rifles most likely aren't going to have CV CHF barrels that have a chrome bore and lining. They are more likely to have dubious outer coatings at best as well. Also a big debate on the finish under the FSB as well as type of FSB and how it is secured to the barrel. Then, there is also warranty and customer support to consider.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just for the record, cheaper ARs and parts do appeal to certain people...certain poor people... certain poor Mod people.. catch my drift? lol

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Slapstick,

Why do you say that I am a gun snob? Is it because I realize there is a difference between A and B?
    Just because there may only be a few companies producing parts do you believe they are all made to the same specs and from the same material?

For the record, only one of my AR's has a pony on it. So I'm not "if it doesn't say Colt, it' junk".

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    There are different grades of AR's for sure, what you need to ask yourself is this. Do you plan on plinking with it for a mag or two every once in awhile or do you need a rifle that can be worked hard weekly and depend on if the world ends. There is a difference, and only one of mine have a pony as well. :)

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

:):.......been my argument all 'long......:):

DOO-dads.......GOT ta have all'em DOO-dads on it.......:):

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    mvican,

Why did I call you a "gun Snob" ? Because you keep repeating that A is better than B without saying why. The only thing you've managed to say is it's a "Colt" No one said there wasn't a difference not even me but I didn't discount the "cheaper AR's" because they didn't have "Colt on the side. I did point out that most of the parts are going to be the same due to just a few manufactures making parts under contract but again that's in the $1000 and under group. And yes at the $700 to $1000 price point the materials are going to be the same 7075 aluminum for the upper, lower and buffer tube, and standard milspec parts. As I stated the only real differences may be in the barrel, bolt and workmanship.

Santi,

All barrels in this price point are going to CHF because it's the cheapest way to mass produce barrels. Basically all barrel steel starts out as 4140 or 4150 which is good barrel steel. In CV barrels vanadium is added to increase the carbon content making the steel slightly stronger. In real life there isn't much of a difference and if it's worth it is debatable since all 3 are considered milspec and all three will last about the same but a valid point that CV barrels are stronger.

Your right about the finish being cheaper since that's usually done in house not contracted out and some company's taking the cheaper way out by installing the FSB on a barrel in the white and then sending it to finish leaving the area under the FSB untreated.

Chrome lining, nice to have for cleaning but the chroming process introduces it's own set of problems, mainly since the thickness of the chrome varies by several thousand's those barrels are usually not as accurate, (yes they can be but as a general rule of thumb they are not) and there is some debate that since the chrome expands at a different rate than the underlying steel when heated that erosion of the throat and bore may actually be quicker in chrome lined barrels. In reality I doubt most people would ever shoot their rifles enough to find out.

Excellent point about customer service and warranty and should be considered in the price of the rifle.

Top Bottom