• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    --- "and other selected members" to receive a special offer and personal invitation to join the Personal Defense Network DVD Series. I'm sure some of you may have also been selected.

They sent me an unsolicited DVD and a free gift coin featuring a Springfield rifle. The offer is to keep the DVD and send them $12.95 or package the DVD in their pre-paid envelope and return it. Then later in the communication it states in bold type "Because you didn't ask for this special DVD, you don't have to participate or send it back and can consider it a free gift. No questions asked."

The letter is signed by the NRA Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer.

A statement outside the body of the letter says "NRA Member dues or contributions are not used for this promotion, program or any other related expenses."

What is your opinion of this?

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    One of many reasons I quit supporting the NRA. There was a time, a long time ago, when the NRA truly championed their mission. Today? The NRA is all about the NRA and its executive board. They do as little as they possibly can to maintain their veneer of legitimacy and hoard the money they scam from wide-eyed, very naive donors. My opinion is that you, me, and everyone else, should avoid the NRA. If they faded away, another entity could emerge. One much more interested in our cause than in lining the pockets of their leadership.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I'd like to be able to "opt out" from receiving these promotional offers.

I think they need to stick to the core focus instead of perpetual offers too good to be true.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Couple months ago I received the same DVD, not from the NRA, but from the Personal Defense Network itself. Similar idea some other coin of something to keep, yada, yada, yada.

Rubbed me the wrong way, to be sure.

--- "and other selected members" to receive a special offer and personal invitation to join the Personal Defense Network DVD Series. I'm sure some of you may have also been selected.

They sent me an unsolicited DVD and a free gift coin featuring a Springfield rifle. The offer is to keep the DVD and send them $12.95 or package the DVD in their pre-paid envelope and return it. Then later in the communication it states in bold type "Because you didn't ask for this special DVD, you don't have to participate or send it back and can consider it a free gift. No questions asked."

A statement outside the body of the letter says "NRA Member dues or contributions are not used for this promotion, program or any other related expenses."

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Another mention of the NRA and another excuse to bash the NRA.

Keep the DVD, watch it if you wish, throw it away if that suits you, donate if you like, if you feel your rights are perfectly safe with no effort by you or the biggest organization out there fighting for your rights do not donate.

With the above said, it highly unlikely the DVD cost the NRA one single dime and was sent by a marketing company employing U.S. citizens any giving them a job. In the end if folks do donate because of the DVD the NRA will get a portion of the proceeds. Looks like a win, win all the way around.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They do it because it works. I've gotten these once or twice and I never sent them money either but obviously enough people are sending in the cash or they wouldn't keep doing it.

I get tons of advertisements/solicitations in my mailbox over the course of a month. It's really not that big of a deal, to me, to simply throw unwanted stuff in the trash when I come in. Of course, periodically, I have to go dig stuff back out because I mistakingly threw something away I shouldn't have :D

These threads come up quite often. According to some posters, there is a phone number or something on their website where you can deselect yourself from fund raising solicitations.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's an obvious way they solicit donations, and I suspect a few folks send the money. I got a couple of those a few years ago and pitched them. Then I started getting letters asking for the money. I called and asked them to take me off that list. They did.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Annnnnd another NRA bashing thread. Wasn't the plethora of reasons the NRA sucks covered yesterday?

This. Jeez.

I didn't realize there were so many NRA haters in our supposedly "united" front against the gun grabbers?

Thanks for really opening my eyes. Our rights are circling the the bowl, and you guys are giving the handle another pull........

Sure, yeah......... The NRA is far, far from perfect. I get that.

Seriously, if they would fade away tomorrow, how long would any of our remaining firearm freedoms stay intact?

Not very long. I'll answer my own question.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    One of many reasons I quit supporting the NRA. There was a time, a long time ago, when the NRA truly championed their mission. Today? The NRA is all about the NRA and its executive board. They do as little as they possibly can to maintain their veneer of legitimacy and hoard the money they scam from wide-eyed, very naive donors. My opinion is that you, me, and everyone else, should avoid the NRA. If they faded away, another entity could emerge. One much more interested in our cause than in lining the pockets of their leadership.

A long time ago they supported gun control. You really want to go back to that? If you don't support them, you may as well turn in your LTCH, cause you wouldn't have it without the NRA!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I got that. Didn't cost me a dime and the coin is kinda perdy. They never did send the free bag that they promised when I signed up though. I kinda wanted that. Oh well, it's not something I needed anyways. Not really a big hassle to throw away junk mail.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu

send me something i didn't request and then you want me to send it back. hahaha.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I had a magazine do that to me a few years ago. Had just subbed(car mag) for a 3 yr stint. They instantly sent me a dvd as part of a series. Catch is...they expected me to pay for it or send it back.

I lost the DVD over time and they started harassing me to pay or send it back. I told them via a terse letter that I had never requested it...thought it was a gift...and I guess its my fault for losing it...so I will pay for it but if they ever sent me anything else I would immediately send them a cancellation of my subscription. They told me not to worry about it, apologized, and made a note in my file. 3 yrs later now...I have resubbed and never get anything but renewal notices.

AKA...what Kirk said....or 'show them' and cancel your membership.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Another mention of the NRA and another excuse to bash the NRA.

Keep the DVD, watch it if you wish, throw it away if that suits you, donate if you like, if you feel your rights are perfectly safe with no effort by you or the biggest organization out there fighting for your rights do not donate.

With the above said, it highly unlikely the DVD cost the NRA one single dime and was sent by a marketing company employing U.S. citizens any giving them a job. In the end if folks do donate because of the DVD the NRA will get a portion of the proceeds. Looks like a win, win all the way around.

Amen. It's funny what some people complain about. One of the biggest gun rights origination who fights tooth & nail for our gun rights and people in a GUN FOURM what to bash them for a mailing that they are in no way obligated to send any money, or even send the thing back? Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.:dunno:

Top Bottom