WOW! WWII, why we needed to drop 2 A-bombs, facts you did not learn in school.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    The real story about how we ended WWII that counters the lies liberals spout about how mean and nasty the US was by dropping 2 A-bombs on Japan. Did you know that we provided warning beforehand? Did you know that the Japanese government warned its citizens to evacuate those cities 5 days before they were hit? Did you know that had we chosen a conventional course of action that it would have cost hundreds of thousands more lives on both sides? Likely not, since liberals revise history to suit their "America sucks" ideology. This 17-minute video felt to me like it was only 10 minutes or less, I was so engrossed. Irrelevant since it was so long ago? Not by a long shot. It is worth the time to watch, trust me.

PJTV - Jon Stewart, War Criminals & The True Story of the Atomic Bombs - Bill Whittle

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    I see lots of assertions that the Japanese were ready to surrender, but little support. They weren't fighting like they were ready to surrender. When the German's were beat they starting surrendering in large groups. While more Japanese surrendered at Okinawa than earlier in the war, the vast majority fought fiercely to the end. I agree with Macarthur, that they may have surrendered if we offered immunity to the Emperor as we ended up doing after the war. Also, since when it an acceptable argument that the war would probably ended in a few more months anyway? How many soldiers, sailors, marines and POW's were dying every month? Would that have been OK with them? Think of how the public would have reacted if they found out we had the bomb and didn't use it. Dear President Truman, why did you let my daddy die in the Pacific instead of using the atomic bomb?

The Geo-Political argument is stupid as well. We didn't have to use the bomb to demonstrate it's power. Invite some diplomats to the next test and same difference. Not to mention, the Soviets had us so infiltrated that they already knew. We used the bomb for the same reason Sherman made his march to the sea. To win the war.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Revisionist claptrap.
    My Dad was sitting in the Luzons and was preparing to invade Japan. Truman was the only Democrat that I never heard him say an ill word about.

Back at the time they were predicting 500,000-1,000,000 US casualties in an an invasion.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Now let's just cut to the point on this and cite Howard Zinn.

In fact the conventional bombing of Japan was far more destructive than the atomic bombs proved to be, but that campaign wasn't moving the Japanese government any closer to surrender.

Curtis Lemay intended to level every Japanese city with incendiaries and iron bombs. Where were all the anti-nuke sayers on that?

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    68 years ago today we bombed Nagasaki with the second nuclear bomb to be dropped on an enemy.

On August 6th we dropped a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima.
    On August 9th we dropped one on Nagasaki.
    On August 15th, Emperor Hirohito went on national radio and informed the people of Japan, and the world, of their unconditional surrender.

Makes you wonder why Hirohito wasted two days thinking about it.

Japan had not been defeated in war in over 1000 years. The Emperor was looked upon as a god. Even after the second bomb, and the announcement of surrender, many Japanese people thought they had won.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    The fire bombing of Tokyo was more devastating to the civilian population than the nukes.

The use of the A-bombs was just as much a demonstration as it was anything else.

Liberal lies?

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Like %8 of Nazi held POWs died in captivity. Japanese held POWs suffered %27. When I was a kid I knew a neighbor who as a mechanic and was captured on a bridge repairing a vehicle to return with him. He was captured and his 6'4" frame spent a good portion of his time in a box because it seems the Japanese disliked the larger Americans. Read "Ghost soldiers" about the Cabanatuan rescue and the POWs life prior to that and youll see they deserved everything they got.

RIP Mr Rogers

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I find it extremely difficult to reconcile the kamikaze attacks, persistence in dying in suicidal charges rather than surrendering, and the weapons massed along the coasts of the Japanese home islands as indicators that the Japanese had any intention in the universe of surrendering. We had a new weapon that by its nature scared the living daylights out of them and they decided it just wasn't worth it and this saved us an incredible number of casualties. Of course, to an anti-war/anti-America liberal that doesn't make a difference because Americans dying isn't a problem, just hostile foreigners (present concern for our service personnel now versus, say, the Vietnam era notwithstanding).

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Did you know that Kyoto, not Nagasaki was supposed to be on the receiving end of the "Fat Man"?

Why was there a change in plans you ask? Because the Secretary of War at the time had his honeymoon years earlier in Kyoto and had sentimental value to the city?

Just like that, one man got to play god with the lives of hundreds of thousands of people!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    We killed just as many people in fire bombing through out the war....some cities had up to 100,000 people killed. Still the Japs weren't going to surrender until the last man woman and child were dead. My Dad was somewhere out there on DE-42 USS Reynolds. The Military leaders were going to kill the Emperor and take over to prevent surrender....but failed. The atomic bombs got Japans attention that the other bombing didn't......thankfully they surrendered because we only had the 2 bombs that were ready to go. I don't feel the least sorry for Japan for what we did, like I said, we killed more with fire bombings than the atomic bombs.

Bull1315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Terre Haute
    IMHO by 1945 it was time to end that war. If it took the bombing of Nagaskai and Hiroshima with a nuke then so be it. The Japanese "may" have surrendered in a couple months, but they might not have. And we were looking at large amounts of casualties in Invading the Japanese islands. I, for one, am glad it was ended then. My father had fought from North Africa to Austria in the European theater and was facing going to the pacific to finish that fight when it ended.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Self-righteous Monday morning quarterbacking from those who benefit from the hard decisions men had to make.

It's nice to never actually have to do something of consequence. It makes judging men of action all the more easy.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I see lots of assertions that the Japanese were ready to surrender, but little support. They weren't fighting like they were ready to surrender. When the German's were beat they starting surrendering in large groups. While more Japanese surrendered at Okinawa than earlier in the war, the vast majority fought fiercely to the end. I agree with Macarthur, that they may have surrendered if we offered immunity to the Emperor as we ended up doing after the war. Also, since when it an acceptable argument that the war would probably ended in a few more months anyway? How many soldiers, sailors, marines and POW's were dying every month? Would that have been OK with them? Think of how the public would have reacted if they found out we had the bomb and didn't use it. Dear President Truman, why did you let my daddy die in the Pacific instead of using the atomic bomb?

The Geo-Political argument is stupid as well. We didn't have to use the bomb to demonstrate it's power. Invite some diplomats to the next test and same difference. Not to mention, the Soviets had us so infiltrated that they already knew. We used the bomb for the same reason Sherman made his march to the sea. To win the war.

If memory serves me, there were more surrender on Okinawa because of a man named GUY, he was a American solider who was raised by a Japanese family in the states and spoke Japanesse perfectly. He talked the enemy into surrendering many times until his buddy was killed, then he would talk them into giving up and then kill them.....then he stopped and went back to getting them to surrender. He marched back one day with 1000 Japs. Wish I could remember the name of the book, loaned it out and never got it back.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Did you know that Kyoto, not Nagasaki was supposed to be on the receiving end of the "Fat Man"?

Why was there a change in plans you ask? Because the Secretary of War at the time had his honeymoon years earlier in Kyoto and had sentimental value to the city?

Just like that, one man got to play god with the lives of hundreds of thousands of people!

Everything I've read about the Nagasaki drop, including the accounts by "Bachs Car"'s crew says they diverted from Kyoto because of cloud cover and hit their secondary target, Nagasaki. Where in the world did you get YOUR information?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Everything I've read about the Nagasaki drop, including the accounts by "Bachs Car"'s crew says they diverted from Kyoto because of cloud cover and hit their secondary target, Nagasaki. Where in the world did you get YOUR information?

interwebs....from the unbiased people who think it was a war crime.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Any of you Monday Morning Quarterbacks talk veterans from the Pacific? The Japanese military fought fanatically to the last man, many times against superior forces, to hold on to specks of island real estate. US military personnel on the front lines grew to both respect and fear the tenacity of the average Japanese soldier. The closer our servicemen got the the Japanese homeland, the tougher the fight. If the US or Russia invaded the Japanese homeland, every citizen would have instantly been turned into a fight to the death soldier. The War would have been extended by months, if not years. Even if we assume Japan was on the verge of military defeat, an invasion would have served to rally the entire population into fanatic defenders of the homeland. Achieving victory would have required the destruction of EVERY Japanese city and death of nearly every man, woman and child.

That is the legacy we would be discussing today, had the atomic bombs not been used.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Actually, the Japanese agreed to surrender only after a guaranty that the Emperor would not be ousted. Even after the bombs dropped they were vowing to fight.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Frankly, in the context of WWII, I don't care how many Japanese would have been killed, in the same way I don't particularly grieve for Iraqis or Afghanis killed in either Gulf War I or II - they basically started it (undeniable in the case of the Japanese) and have to live with the results. What I would have been more concerned with was the projected number of Allied casualties involved in a land invasion of Japan, which would likely have been on the high side of the projected figures, if they did not exceed the projections. Truman AND Roosevelt made the correct decisions, IMO, and Truman made another correct decision when he decided AGAINST using "atom bombs" against the Red Chinese in Korea 1951.

Top Bottom