• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Has anyone ever filed charges on their own?

I don't know how it is in TN, but in Indiana only the prosecutor (personally and via deputy prosecutors) can file criminal charges. Even when an LEO arrests you, that's not the same as filing charges. If I lock you up (or want a warrant for your arrest) I have to convince a prosecutor to file the charge. There is no difference, other than ease of access, between LEO and non-LEO in this regard.

So, in short, no I've never filed charges. I've signed plenty of affidavits to have a prosecutor file charges, though.

That said, if there's no damage and no injuries I'd forget about it and move on. People are dumb in traffic. You'll stroke out if you get worked up and hang on to it every time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    During my stint as an intern at a prosecutor's office (as a 3rd year law student....so pre-historic) one of the things we did was take "citizen's complaint". These are for "cases" that did not come through law enforcement or where law enforcement was involved, but did not see a reason to refer the matter to the prosecutor. People would make an appointment and come in an tell their tale and the prosecutor could decide whether to file charges. In the dozens of complaints I encountered, I saw only one that was seriously considered for charges, and i don't know what ever happened to that.

Most of these involved crazy/angry exes or neighbors. Every once in a while, there would be a story where you felt bad for the person, but there was really no there-there from a criminal perspective. This sounds like one of those.

Our MO was to listen attentively, take notes, then run it past a prosecutor and inevitably write a letter explaining that we understand, but criminal charges are not warranted.

Top Bottom