• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    I was just recently robbed, kicked in the door, took my tvs, laptops and guns.

So just a friendly reminder, write down all your serial number and maybe some pics also!

Serial numbers for TVs and laptops are good to keep too.

RIP
    CVA Optima
    Ruger Security Six
    8mm Mauser
    91/30 Mosin
    Walter P22
    Marlin Model 60
    Winchester Single shot 22lr

And last, but most important...
    My Inland M1 Carbine

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Very sorry to hear this. Not trying to be a wiseguy, but would a gun safe have kept the thief from getting your guns?? Might be worth saving up for one.

spanky_27

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Columbus
    sorry to hear this and yes it is a very good idea. our house got broke into back on July 6th 2012 tv eight guns four laptops and some other little stuff..on July 7th( the next day) i received a call from the sheriffs office saying they had some items and we need to come verify them and to my disbelief there's all are stuff which rarely happens the only thing we didn't get back was my 44 mag rifle and our tv so hopefully u will get soe back and buy a gun safe if u dont have one thats what i bought after the incident

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    yeah, make sure you write them down and make sure you have coppies. do not store them all in the safe! i was a victim and was prepared.
    they only got the stuff i had left outside of the safe. not much, but more than enough to make me angry.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    More info, sir.. a full-on safe is a good bet, as those smaller stack-on cabinets are little more than convenient carrying cases for your collection..

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sorry

Sorry to hear about the incident but recording serial numbers of valuables has been good advice for decades! Thanks for sharing the info. Maybe some others will take the hint!

Without some kind of identifier you probably won't get your stuff back even if the police do recover it. I guarantee you a pawn shop isn't going to give it up without proof it's stolen.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Verry sorry to hear that! But yes i keep an updated spreadsheet of all my seriel numbers on my computer an on a backup. Very good advice OP.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've been doing that for years, it is a lot of work with an ever changing collection, but I have 2 different data bases backed up on a flash drive, and printed copies as well as pictures. Yes I am OCD about it.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    A suggestion for the semi-non-techy people. I use Evernote.com to catalog my weapons. Serial numbers typed in, attached with photos of the guns. You can create notebooks. I have a gun notebook. All free, and accessible from any smartphone or computer.

But I use this as a backup to a physical copy now stored in my safe.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    My stack on safe was bolted to the wall and locked. I had a key hidden in my closet and they found it while ransacking my stuff. I won't be so stupid from here on out.

It's just one of those things you never think will happen to ya until it does.

But I don't have any hope of getting them back. Just thought I'd post a friendly reminder for those who don't already keep inventory.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Put serial numbers in an excel spreedsheet along with manufacturer, date purchased, model, price paid, where you got it. Applies to guns and anything else of value. Back it up and keep at least one copy outside your home. Could be at a friend or relatives, work etc. or in a file folder in your email account that is stored on your internet providers site.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was just recently robbed, kicked in the door, took my tvs, laptops and guns.

So just a friendly reminder, write down all your serial number and maybe some pics also!

Serial numbers for TVs and laptops are good to keep too.

RIP
    CVA Optima
    Ruger Security Six
    8mm Mauser
    91/30 Mosin
    Walter P22
    Marlin Model 60
    Winchester Single shot 22lr

And last, but most important...
    My Inland M1 Carbine

I see you are west-side Indy. Are you near the Speedway area??

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    This doesn't surprise me. My truck was broken into a month ago, right in front of my friends house....And they say the west side is suppose to be a good side of indy! He lives outside the loop too.
    I hope you get your stuff back! Personally, I'm setting up some better home security. You can't trust anybody these days.

Top Bottom