• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Very good advice - most sorry for your loss, possibly your insurance will pay for replacement, if you are a member of the NRA you may check on the insurance they furnish. My son and I both collect guns and share the collection, a couple of months ago we spent the better part of a day taking pictures of every gun with a slip of paper containing the serial number in the picture. Then I made a spreadsheet with the description, serial no., caliber, etc., when/where purchased and est. cost when purchased, location stored (his /my house safes) and burned three DVD's containing the pictures and spreadsheets. He has 1, I have one and my wife filed one. Only problem now is adding the new guns in a timely manner. I also need to contact my insurance carrier and make sure they are all covered for replacement cost.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I live about two minutes from the Eaglecreek airport. Just north of speedway.

You are not far from me. I am straight north of the Speedway. You are close.
    Check the pawn shops on 16th st. and Laff Rd. The one on 10th st. has guns but I know those guys and they are sharp on stolen goods.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    I have been checking the pawn shops, nothin yet. But insurance is hopefully go an come through.

And yes, I am afraid it might have been someone that knows me, but I have no idea who it would have been. Because I agree, random is rare.

BEANC0UNTER

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    I took a video of all property and burned it to a DVD. I do not have all the serial numbers. I guess I should work on that.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have a program on my computer and I'm going to get it for my phone as well. It's not my program, but I love it. It's called My Gun Database. The guy who makes it has a free version that holds up to 10 firearms. He also offers it for Android and iOS devices so that you have it on the go as well. It stores EVERYTHING you need. If it doesn't have it send him and email and he will try to get it in if he thinks it's needed. You won't need to email yourself a list and it keeps it organized with multiple pictures.

My advice, check Armslist, GunsAmerica, pawn shops, and Craigslist. Believe it or not, guns show up on CL and get past the people. Also, get the program for your computer and your phone so you can keep good records.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just keep all the original boxes, which always have the serial on them.

You keep them in the same house as the guns? What about if a fire your home? The boxes won't be much help then.

In pre-historic days, I kept my serial numbers on index cards in a bank box. Now I just e-mail them to myself. One e-mail for garage/shed/barn (tools and what not), one for house, one for guns.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    As a former insurance agent I can tell you that most people do not realize that almost every insurance company out there has restricted coverage on firearms. Both in regards to the value of the firearms, but also in regards to the "perils" or the "what happened to it" area.

However, most insurance companies allow expanded coverage to address both of those issues...for an extra fee of course. I have all my firearms listed on my insurance policy. Not only does this document each manufacturer, model & serial number of each firearm, but I get the right amount of coverage. And my guns are covered for many more types of "perils" than what the basic insurance policy covered.

I urge every firearm owner to check into this with their insurance company and find out what their company will and will not do. You may not like to share this info with others. However, if your house burned down with your guns in it...or your guns were all stolen during a break in...wouldn't you like to know that your insurance will pay for new guns.

This automatically takes care of the serial number issue and it could be enlightening what your insurance may or may not cover. This would reveal if you need to upgrade your insurance or not.

I have seen far too often the results of people who did not want to discuss this with their insurance person. But when a fire or theft happened, they were kicking themselves in the pants for not getting the upgraded coverage and gun information along with it.

Lep36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    North side
    Were you at your LGS lately? I've heard of bad guys staking out the stores then following somebody home... esp. if they walk out the store with a new gun!

sorry for your loss...

Top Bottom