• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Monday night, I had the opportunity to do a semi-public night shoot at my range. As usual, I had Jackson with me. He is not yet a member at this club, so he was only there to assist and oversee.

For this event, I brought a list of drills that I wanted to run, and tried my best to keep to it. I've started doing this regularly for almost a year now, and I find it helps me make the best use of my practice time.

The first two drills used one of the photo-real targets from letargets.com that we use from time to time. Jackson has some overlays that include beer bottles, empty hands, cell phones, and other things to make the target a no-shoot and force decision making into a drill.

100_0039.JPG

On this target, I did the warmup which consisted of a few F.A.S.T.'s and then Ken Hackathorn's 30rd Self Defense Practice Drill.

F.A.S.T. (Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test)
    pistol-training.com
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 3×5 card (head), 8″ plate (body)
    Start position: weapon concealed or in duty condition with all holster retention devices active; shooter facing downrange in relaxed stance with arms down at sides
    Rounds fired: 6
    Shooter loads gun with a total of two rounds. On start signal, shooter draws and fires two rounds at the head target; performs a slidelock reload; and fires four rounds at the body target.

30 Round Self Defense Practice Drill
    Ken Hackathorn
    Range: 5-15yards
    Target: IDPA
    Rounds fired: 30
    Gun in holster, unless otherwise indicated.
    1. 5 yards, 1.5 seconds, from low ready, one shot to the head, 4 times.
    2. 5 yards, 2.0 seconds, from holster, one shot to head. 4 times.
    3. 5 yards, 2.0 seconds, from low ready, strong hand only, two shots to body. 3 times.
    4. 7 yards, 2.0 seconds, facing left, from holster, two shots to body. One time only.
    5. 7 yards, 2.0 seconds, facing right, from holster, two shots to body. One time only.
    6. 7 yards, 2.0 seconds, face target, from holster, two shots to body. One time only.
    7. 7 yards, 4.0 seconds, while retreating, three shots to body. 3 times.
    8. 10 yards, 3.0 seconds, gun on target, round in chamber, change magazine and fire one shot to body. 3 times.
    9. 10 yards, 3.0 seconds, gun on target, slide locked back, change magazine and fire one shot to body. One time only.
    10. 15 yards, 2.5 seconds, one shot to body. 6 times.

[video=youtube_share;TXB_CJreKE0]http://youtu.be/TXB_CJreKE0[/video]

Both drills were modified for one-handed shooting, and the target I chose to use. Times were all but ignored. The purpose of these drills was to knock the rust off and get used to drawing the light and gun.

The second half of the shoot was the TAPS Scanner drill. This was the first time I've shot this drill, and I only know what I read from Pat McNamara's book.

Scanner
    Pat McNamara/TAPS
    Range: 5-7yds
    Rounds fired: 12
    When setting up, place a table five yards from the closets target and a shooting box just on the far side of the table. Place your targets so all are visible, with a CLEAN SHOT’ from the firing box and within the range fan. The array should include 12 targets. Place the cards on the table face down. Make up three sets of cards. Each set is numbered on the back; set 1, set 2, set 3. Each set will have two false cards in it. Therefore, each set will consist of 6 cards. The instructions state: On the go signal, Turn over one card at a time. Read the top and see the color of the text at the bottom. Shoot the appropriate target once anywhere but in the head (don’t want to screw up the markings). When you are finished, each target may only show one hit. If more than one hit, you are a ‘NO GO’. In an example set, the first one should read ’8 Red’, the second ‘false card’, the third ’10 Blue’, the forth, ‘false card’, the fifth ’3 Green’, and the sixth ’5 Yellow.’ Repair targets for next shooter. Issue him set number two in the event he was rubber necking.

Target sampling (taken today):
    100_0060.jpg

Targets on the range:
    100_0041.jpg

Cards:
    100_0058.jpg

For this drill I made 12 targets, 16 cards, and used Blue, Green, Red, Purple, and Yellow cards and markers. I made 4 "decks" with 3 shoot cards and one false card in each. The first deck was done with pistol and handheld light, the second was done with pistol and handheld light and included the use of the spotlight. For the third and fourth decks I used a .22lr AR and used the weapon mounted light and my handheld. To the rules, this drill was a 'NO GO' for me, and I'm blaming the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between blue and purple ink on the cards that night. I'll have to change that for next time. However, I did not have any shoot-throughs.

[video=youtube_share;ddPPOggY4yQ]http://youtu.be/ddPPOggY4yQ[/video]

Take-homes were many, lots of things to work on.

For the next night shoot, I am going to try and develop a drill similar to the scanner, or a modification on ACT's famous figure-8 drill but utilizing photo targets and overlays. This will hopefully add a lot of decision making and require a person to see more than just the outline of a target. I think that will really make obvious how much light is really needed, even at distances less than 15 yards.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Really really good stuff guys! Very helpful pointing out just how tough it is to attempt good function in the dark.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    We don't typically have anywhere to do live fire work in low light. Jason asked for special permisison from his club's board to come out last night. It took some convincing, but they allowed it. This turned out to be a really good session. The drills he came up with served their purpose. He was able to get a feel for shooting with the light during the first two drills, and then add some searching and information processing with the scanner drill.

Changing the angles of light, having the light facing up range, and having to move around and search between obstacles with a hand-held flashlight really illustrates the ways that low-light environments can complicate the situation. Without a weapon-mounted light, shooting is done one-handed. In the dark it is more difficult to see the target background. Marksmanship in low-light is all the more difficult, and maybe more important. The angle you're holding the flashlight can change your view and perception of your front sight making precision and speed even harder to achieve together.

If you carry a gun and a flashlight and think you might need to use both at the same time, you need to find an opportunity to test that out. I know its difficult to find a place to shoot in the dark if you don't have your own range, but there are some options. At least two local trainers have low-light classes (ACT and Mindst Labs). Some of the traveling trainers include low-light in their courses (John Farnam is an example). If none of those are an option, an air soft gun and a dark garage may be an option. However you do it, go out and give it a try before you need it.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Really really good stuff guys! Very helpful pointing out just how tough it is to attempt good function in the dark.

Thanks Burl. We predict this will not be too popular a thread. A couple years ago I posted a two or three-thread series about our attempts to use more realistic targets (3-D heads, photo realistic targets, moving targets, etc). Only the usual suspects were interested. In an effort to drum up interest in this kind of stuff I tried to get Jason to wear shorty shorts and a low-cut shirt, but he refused to wax his chest. Its hard to pull people away from the Cory and Erika thread without some sex appeal or local drama.

Its kind of disappointing that the longest running thread in T&T forum is totally focused on a random guy's military service record and not any number of other topics which might make a person a better shooter, or more prepared to defend themselves. When threads with real information or training ideas come up they sink to the bottom quickly.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    With the above being said, if anyone has ideas on how to get more out of these drills, we'd be happy to hear them. As we mentioned, we don't get to do this kind of stuff too often. So we want to squeeze all the value we can out of our time. We welcome any discussion about those ideas.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will post Jackson. Well done guys. Kudos to you because I never practice shooting at night. Not something many of us have the opportunity to do. Some Thoughts:

Does your range have lighting? I ask because I am never in situations where there is no light. Think about it there is always ambient light. Maybe even backlighting in the case of outdoor lighting illuminating doors and windows. Most parking lots have outdoor lighting. Maybe you could use boxes or barricades to replicate shadows and such.

colors can be tricky with drills. Keep in mind that something like 15% of people have some sort of color blindness. (Not sure if this is true but I heard it in a presentation class once and it stuck, dark red on blue is bad by the way). Maybe use numbers and shapes instead. If you use colors keep it simple and hues different. Primary colors Red, Blue, Yellow

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Thanks for the feedback, VERT. I agree there is typically some amount of ambient light. This range had a light on a building in the background, but that small amount of ambient light doesn't come through well on the video. I believe there were other lights but we did not know how to turn them on. When we've done this other times we've typicaly had ambient light we could not turn off. So, this gave us an opportunity to do it in a much darker situation than we've tried in the past.

You make a good point about shadows. We attempted to simulate varied light angles and shadows by changing the placement of that uprange light. We used it at the side of the range and had other light in the background. We also started at dusk while there was stil some useful sunlight. Shadows and angles of light can definitely make it difficult to see the target and/or the sights. I think its important to get a feel for varied light conditions.

On the colors, this was supposed to make the drill more mind boggling. The cards had a number, then the name of a color like "yellow" written in a differen't colored ink. For example, the a card might be 3-blue (written in red ink). The shooter would need to find a target with a 3 and a red square on the target. There may or may not be a target like that down range. There may be a target with a 3 and a blue square, though. So it kind of messes with you when you're trying to do it quickly and in the dark.

I think this drill was designed to be done in normal light conditions. It was much more difficult to see the colors in the dark (rods and cones, and all that). For a color blind person like you mentioned, it may be impossible to complete the drill. Next time I think we'll do a similar drill but use objects overlayed on photo-realistic targets instead of colors and numbers.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Good work guys. Use some type of 3-d target, or at least photorealistic like you mentioned, and you have it nailed. I do not practice low light nearly as much as I used to, but still do quite a bit in the winter with the shorter days. I am lucky in that I can use our range which is about 5 minutes away, or go to my parents property which is even closer.

Haven't done that scanner drill before. Some of what I like about it is that it incorporates decision making, and downrange friendlies to some extent.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    3D target with a cheap flashlight taped to it. Think about it, if it is dark the bad guy might have a light of his own. I bet that would make for some interesting shadows and sight pictures.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Excellent, other than the lack of shorty shorts. I'm a little disappointed in that.

Did you work on the double-feed?

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    For the Scanner drill, what about using shapes, instead of colors? As an example, having 3 "triangle" written on the card, and the shape of a circle, so you need to shoot the 3 circle.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    For the Scanner drill, what about using shapes, instead of colors? As an example, having 3 "triangle" written on the card, and the shape of a circle, so you need to shoot the 3 circle.

Something like this could work. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'd go the other way and shoot the words instead of the shape. I think it would be harder if you had to read it, otherwise you could ignore the word and just look at the shape. The primary aim is to get the shooter thinking a little and having to search for the object s/he's thinking about. So what you suggest could definitely work.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Write 3 circle on a triangle piece of paper. Then make them shoot the circle. I would have them actually shoot the shapes. I am not out there reading name tags and deciding to shoot Bob. :D

Or write 7 on the paper and make them add. You know 6+1 or 3+4

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm waiting for my invitation from Jason to arrive. Perhaps it was lost in the mail. Hmph.

Nice work, guys!

If you're ambitious, and I know you are, I would do this:

• Add some vision barriers among your threats/nonthreats
    • Add moving targets

The combination of those two is a good thing.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Why not? Bob deserves it.

I don't know if the specifics are as important as doing something that makes you think. Thinking, searching with the light, looking for something specific, dealing with the obstacles and background issues, etc.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Why not? Bob deserves it.

I don't know if the specifics are as important as doing something that makes you think. Thinking, searching with the light, looking for something specific, dealing with the obstacles and background issues, etc.

Agreed. My only input would be to avoid getting too specific. For instance red vs purple or trying to read small print. Large numbers, gun vs cell phone, shapes, colors that could be differentiated easily, simple math will get people thinking

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If you'll wear the shorts and prance around seductively, we'll take ya. We were low on props. There wasn't anything on the range except what we brought. We have played with various types of moving targets in the past and may work something out for that if we get another low-light opportunity. I am looking forward to ACT's next low-light training day as well.

I'm waiting for my invitation from Jason to arrive. Perhaps it was lost in the mail. Hmph.

Nice work, guys!

If you're ambitious, and I know you are, I would do this:

• Add some vision barriers among your threats/nonthreats
    • Add moving targets

The combination of those two is a good thing.

Top Bottom