• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .40plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Has anyone thought of putting our voice out there to be heard? I'm just wondering if now is the time to make a push to try and get our state to follow Montana and Tennessee's lead regarding the Federal Firearms Act.

My legislator is Woody Burton and he is about to get an e-mail from me very shortly. Thankfully he's a very strong supporter of the military and a Republican.

.40plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Here is what I just sent

Representative Burton,

Is there any pending legislation in the House regarding Indiana's sovereignty; similar to what Montana and Tennessee have both recently passed?

The Federal Government has slowly eroded the rights of not only the States but also of the people over the last several decades. It is the fault of the people for letting this happen and now is the time to correct the course. Something must be done quickly to reverse this process before we are buried under more legislation.

I would like to see Indiana among the states that choose to stand up and demand that our rights be respected. If we have more states in on this fight then maybe Washington will actually listen to us and our freedom will slowly start to return.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,
    Tanner Henry

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson 1788

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I'm not familiar w/ the TN legislation, but if it's like the Montana law - the weapon has to be manufactured in that state & can not leave that state. Are there even any gun manufacturers in IN? I'm trying to convince the spouse it's time to pack up & move West!!!!!

.40plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I'm not familiar w/ the TN legislation, but if it's like the Montana law - the weapon has to be manufactured in that state & can not leave that state. Are there even any gun manufacturers in IN? I'm trying to convince the spouse it's time to pack up & move West!!!!!

You're being rather narrow minded here. If the Supreme Court upholds this (which they likely will) almost all of the power the Federal Government has gained over the last 80 years involving meddling in a state's affairs will be drastically reduced. This isn't JUST about guns.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I sent a slightly modified version of this to my Reps. I just received this in reply, oddly enough I believe they get "it".

Neil,
    Representative Pond wanted me to respond to your email and thank you for your input. She greatly appreciates your comments and wants you to know how important they are.

The Indiana Senate passed SR 42 on April 9, 2009. This state sovereignty resolution was passed to urge the federal government "to cease and desist, effective immediately, any and all mandates that are beyond the scope of their constitutionally delegated power." You can view the full text of this resolution on the Indiana General Assembly's website at http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2009/PDF/SRESF/SR0042.pdf. The resolution passed is a measure to show the Federal Government the State's discontent with how they are conducting business.

Again, thank you for your email. Feel free to contact Representative Pond or our office in the future with questions or comments.
    Thanks

Eric Augustus

House Republican Intern

Indiana House of Representatives

200 W Washington, Rm 401-4

Indianapolis, IN 46204

800-382-9841

317-234-9206

317-232-7644 (fax)

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I sent a slightly modified version of this to my Reps. I just received this in reply, oddly enough I believe they get "it".

That was passed a while ago, and was a rather mollified version of a resolution that went around to a number of states.

All in all, it's not actually a law, and therefore has no literal weight. It's just a resolution. It's kind of like saying, "This is how we feel." Whereas a law is going, "This is what we're doing, regardless how you feel." And that's what's trying to be pushed here.

So, yes, they get it... but do they get it enough?

Top Bottom