• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I was over at a lake in NWI today and saw what we all thought was a strange sight. A Box turtle with about a 8 inch long and 5 inch wide shell was 200 ft from a 150 acre lake on a steep hill 35ft above the water level and heading away from the lake. In the 5 minutes or so we watched it it went about 25ft and disappeared into some bushes. We had other things to do and did not look for it again. There is no body of water within a mile from where that turtle was heading. If he continued on his path he would go another 125ft where he would cross a road and then into a 1 mile square field which was just planted within the last two weeks. Not sure if the field is beans or corn. Why might it be going that direction? Is this something common?
    She was headed out to lay eggs. Right time of year. Finally warm enough to incubate.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think it's fun when you see several speeding their way across a road at the same time. No way to know who wins the races because you can't wait that long.

Kind of like hanging out with me.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I was hiking through the woods several years ago when I encountered two box turtles having sex - talk about S L O W motion.
    We took our kid to the zoo many moons ago, he was about 6 and there was a pair doing it at the zoo, it was great without sound but then add in slow motion moaning and it was hilarious. There were many people watching but mom wanted to protect the innocence of the little one so we didn't stay. Felt weird anyway.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Foolproof method for determining the sex of a turtle: Follow it to the gas station and see which bathroom key it gets from the cashier.

Derail ahead:

The summer between 4th and 5th grade, my mom and step-dad moved to a house just north of New Market, Indiana.

This meant a brand new school and a brand new set of people for me to figure out. Well, at least as far as 4th, 5th, and 6th graders were concerned because K-3 were in the older building across the parking lot. I digress even within my digression.

Anyhow - there was a 4th grader that lots of other kids were calling "Danielle"...and others called "Daniel". It took a few months of wondering, due to that cruel androgynous period of life, which gender this particular person was. Until one day when I finally saw Daniel come out of the boy's bathroom. Boom. My internal dilemma was solved.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I have them burrow in my mulch and lay eggs from time to time. I unfortunately ran over one full of eggs that was crossing my garage apron. It made quite a racket on impact. I thought the kids left toys in the drive. Nope, squashed turtle with eggs everywhere. Quite smelly too.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Found my picture from a trip to the zoo in 2012.

O5ILcFA.jpg

Top Bottom