• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    got this from a friend today and think it's a good read.

The Outfitters' Lament: Too Few Kids With Guns - WSJ.com

"Why are they going to come out and freeze in a blind all day and maybe get one shot when they can sit in their living room and shoot all day long?" asked Brad Bowser, owner of a Linneus, Maine, guide service. Mr. Bowser's daughter, Sienna, is 14 and hunts regularly, but she said that she's an anomaly among her friends.

Video games are the easy villain, but the problem goes much deeper.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I play Modern Warfare 2 all the time, but I'd much rather shoot real guns.

I can't wait to get out and hunt some more (going bird hunting this weekend for the first time)

I'm less than half of 50. I've been getting 4 of my friends into hunting too. I'll do my part to help a dying breed!

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Maybe one of the gun manufacturers should step up like Mathews Bows did a few years ago by creating the NASP, National Archery in the Schools Program, which has become wildly successful. Even though it is an avenue to promote and give kids exposure to Mathews bows, it still has the right idea that maybe someone in the shooting sports industry could do. Something has to be done, otherwise a whole generation or more will be lost to the shooting sports.:patriot:

Iceandfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    7 miles from Medora, IN
    I'm proud to help kids that want to shoot by helping the local 4-H Safe Shooting program. Each year a half-dozen qualified instructors spend about two hours a week teaching 25 to 30 kids rifle, pistol, shotgun and archery. The kids all have fun, but the instructos have just as much fun. After learning basic skills on indoor ranges, using pellet guns, we take them out to a range several times to fire every type of gun. It's a blast that I've been doing for about 10 years now.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Another example of parents failing to raise their kids right.
    That is kind of a broad statement. What is "right"? Both my grandfathers used to hunt. My father never did and I never did. Not surprisingly...my kids don't hunt. Never had an inclination to hunt. I sure hope I'm raising my kids "right" even without hunting.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Kids will grow up someday and become consumers. If parents don't teach their children to respect and enjoy firearms/hunting, then the entire gun/hunting industry may dwindle and die off.

If you enjoy this hobby, teach it to new shooters. Teach your kids to be responsible and self-sufficient. That is the right thing to do.

Top Bottom