• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    Personally never shot either one, but did lots of research (especially on the Thunder), and held the Thunder also.

The Taurus apparently shoots a lot like a keltec. I have a friend who has a keltec, and I've shot it, and I didn't care for it at all. Kicks a lot, even for a .380, and kinda beats the meat of my hand to the point that I don't wanna shoot anymore. The Taurus is also a DAO, which I can't stand. It's personal preference, and I'd rather have a DA/SA or SAO over a DAO. The trigger pull just seems too long on every one I've shot.

The Bersa weighs twice as much, so it doesn't kick as hard... But it weighs more than a pound for a small gun, which might be a problem for some people. It also fit my hand (I guess my hands are average size, not big, not small) amazingly. The Keltec just didn't fit my hand well which may have lead to the uncomfortable shooting. It has a beautifully slim profile, and a nice 7+1 capacity (versus 6+1 for the Taurus. Also note that the Bersa CC is an 8+1, and the Bersa Plus has a 15+1). There are also lots of accessories for the Walther PPK that will work with the Bersa (just be sure to double check, because not all will work, and some others will work with the Bersa Firestorm, and not the Thunder). And the Bersa, with the external hammer is DA/SA.

Lastly, I know that the Bersa is one of the best selling handguns at my local gun shop. There also seems to be a love/hate with Taurus. Some people get Taurus, never have a problem, and love them. Others get Taurus, have a problem, and it becomes a living nightmare dealing with their customer service, and getting them fixed. I can say first hand that Taurus' customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Looking at the Taurus PT738 and the Bersa Thunder. Thoughts???

Bersa, makes a great .380. I've got a Bersa model 383a, the pre-curser to the thunder .380. never had a malfunction, shoots well, and is a great fit in my large mitt. Also no slide bite! which is common on small .380's.

As the prices are very similar, I would have to go with the Bersa... don't know what the customer service is like, as I've never had an issue. if you look around you will notice a lot of the big vendors on-line sell out almost as soon as they get them in!

I have a coworker that shot my Bersa, and fell in love with it... she's picking up a pre-owned one from another INGO'er tonight or tomorrow!

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I shoot a Bersa 380 and just did not care for it one bit. It was really snappy & uncomfortable. The grips are too thin. A very poorly designed gun. If you want look into a Bernardelli or a CZ83.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    I own a Taurus PT380 and like it very much. It is great for pocket carry and the recoil is not too bad. The Bersa is nice if you carry in a holster but too big for pocket carry.

Thor20003

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I don't own any .380's but am a big fan of Bersa's. I would suggest the Bersa but in the 9mm. You get better power, capacity and cheaper ammo in a similar sized gun. The Bersa UC 9 is the best of the Bersa bunch. Take a look at the Firestorm brand also. They are the same with a little different trigger guard.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Have you held them both? The Bersa is much larger. I think the Taurus 708 Slim would be better comparison. The 738 is only 10 ounces and 6+1, the Bersa and 708 are 20 & 19 oz (respectively) and 7+1.

My wife has the Taurus 738 and she loves it. It's very easy to slip into a pocket and just forget it's there. I tested her 738 against a friend's LCP and they were very close in accuracy. It's not as easy to control as a full size (obviously), but on a rapid fire mag dump at 7 yards I was able to keep all 6 rounds in an area smaller than my fist. It is certainly accurate and controllable enough for self defense, but I would chose something larger for zombie hunting.

If you're looking for a lightweight but effective pocket pistol the 738 is a fine choice. If you're willing to deal with the larger size of the Bersa, you might as well step up to a 9mm like the Taurus 709 Slim.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Where do I start....

Thanks for all the info provided. I have held the Taurus and liked the weigh it felt. I will need to get into a shop that has some choices and see how they all feel. Great info though.....thanks!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have owned several Bersa 380s, a 9 and a 45. All are great guns. The 380s are pretty nice to shoot, but can feel snappy when compared to something like a Sig P238. They are much lighter than a PPK and have a better trigger.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've got a Taurus 738, I absolutely love it. It generally makes it into my carry lineup as the backup piece; carried in a pocket in addition to my G26, or G17. Conceals wells in any pocket, even with the Crimson Trace laser I put on it. Zero feeding issues so far, although I only use ball ammo in it. Not trying to start that debate, but I feel like in a gun the size and caliber of this, I would rather go for penetration and shot placement than hope that hollow-points will go deep enough.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Not trying to start that debate...

Then nothing further needs said.

... but I feel like in a gun the size and caliber of this, I would rather go for penetration and shot placement than hope that hollow-points will go deep enough.

Aw, but you chose to go on. My :twocents:, FMJ tends to over-penetrate, most HP under-penetrate. Both can be extremely dangerous. The only HP I've seen that consistently penetrates 12" and expands is Hydra-Shoks. Everyone has to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each and make their own decision. I'm not trying to be an argumentative jerk, but I do think it's good to present both sides and allow everyone to make their own decision. Btw, shot placement is critical with any caliber. A .50 AE to the ear lobe won't be near as effective as a .22 to the sinus cavity. Sorry if I come off as an a$$.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Looking at the Taurus PT738 and the Bersa Thunder. Thoughts???

I have several Bersa 380 Thunder pistols and often use one as a CC backup.

They are by far one of my favorite small pistols. They are very reliable, very accurate, etc. I would be very hard pressed to find anything about it that I do not like.

If you get one, you are not likely to be disappointed.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Be sure you look into the Bersa Thunder 380CC as well as the regular Thunder. I have both. I notice a signficant difference between the two, as the cc is much easier to pocket carry (but doesn't have the same feel as the regular Thunder because of the grip).

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Then nothing further needs said.

Aw, but you chose to go on. My :twocents:, FMJ tends to over-penetrate, most HP under-penetrate. Both can be extremely dangerous. The only HP I've seen that consistently penetrates 12" and expands is Hydra-Shoks. Everyone has to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each and make their own decision. I'm not trying to be an argumentative jerk, but I do think it's good to present both sides and allow everyone to make their own decision. Btw, shot placement is critical with any caliber. A .50 AE to the ear lobe won't be near as effective as a .22 to the sinus cavity. Sorry if I come off as an a$$.

I only continued so that the OP would know that I chose ball for issues not related to reliable feeding; given that he is considering that gun, I did not want to give him a false opinion of it. :p

And not an a$$ at all. :)

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I too am looking at a Bersa Thunder .380. Has anyone had any dealings with their customer service?

I have only used it once for a cosmetic warranty repair. It was top notch.

Outside of that one instance, I have never had a problem with any of mine.

The Thunder .380 is extremely reliable and durable.

Maybe others have had a different experience (and if so, hopefully they will say so), but I have nothing but praise for them.

Top Bottom