• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've just about had enough of teenage boys who are scared of guns because they're loud and scary. I'm even less impressed by fathers who excuse it.

DUBYA

TEE

EFF!!!

One of my friends has a kid... 15 or so... says he wants to shoot my AR15, but every time I give him a chance his dad tells me he doesn't want to come because he's scared. Says the kid will shoot a .22 all day long, but anything that bangs louder than "pop" and he wants to run and hide under the bed.

And he's not the only one. I keep hearing more and more and more about kids who are scared ****less over things that make loud noises. I even have an adult friend my age who's that way. AND THESE ARE PEOPLE WHO WILL SIT AND PLAY CALL OF DUTY ALL DAMN DAY WITH THE SPEAKERS TURNED TO MAX!!!

Meanwhile, some of my friends' daughters are handy with the 12-gauge. When I was guardian to a 12-year-old girl (my wife's little sister), we took her to the range and all she wanted to shoot was .45's and 10mm's -- none of that wussy "girl gun" stuff for her. I feel sorry for all the teenage girls... their prospects of finding someone who's actually on his way to being a man seem to be pretty effing slim.

WTF is up with boys these days? Grow a pair, why doncha? My brother and I never got to shoot as kids, but with everything else we were of the opinion that if it didn't leave your ears ringing, it wasn't loud enough. If I have anything to say about it, my nephews are going to be in the damned big bore club by the time they hit double digits.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've just about had enough of teenage boys who are scared of guns because they're loud and scary. I'm even less impressed by fathers who excuse it.

DUBYA

TEE

EFF!!!

One of my friends has a kid... 15 or so... says he wants to shoot my AR15, but every time I give him a chance his dad tells me he doesn't want to come because he's scared. Says the kid will shoot a .22 all day long, but anything that bangs louder than "pop" and he wants to run and hide under the bed.

And he's not the only one. I keep hearing more and more and more about kids who are scared ****less over things that make loud noises. I even have an adult friend my age who's that way. AND THESE ARE PEOPLE WHO WILL SIT AND PLAY CALL OF DUTY ALL DAMN DAY WITH THE SPEAKERS TURNED TO MAX!!!

Meanwhile, some of my friends' daughters are handy with the 12-gauge. When I was guardian to a 12-year-old girl (my wife's little sister), we took her to the range and all she wanted to shoot was .45's and 10mm's -- none of that wussy "girl gun" stuff for her. I feel sorry for all the teenage girls... their prospects of finding someone who's actually on his way to being a man seem to be pretty effing slim.

WTF is up with boys these days? Grow a pair, why doncha? My brother and I never got to shoot as kids, but with everything else we were of the opinion that if it didn't leave your ears ringing, it wasn't loud enough. If I have anything to say about it, my nephews are going to be in the damned big bore club by the time they hit double digits.

There's hope.
    MiniJet turned down a boyfriend who fits the first description in your post...in fact when there was a super uber loud buzzer noise in a gym last Saturday, he hit the floor like he was being tased. Idiot. I'm glad Mini made a choice based on more than face.
    On the other hand, a kid she's really reeeeeally digging...is a FaceBook find in Texas.
    He'd actually make a really good TexSon-in-law. In fact, I may just adopt [STRIKE]his firepower[/STRIKE] him outright.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    WTF indeed.

I have six nephews that have no problem tearing apart my house and terrorizing my animals in about 8.75 seconds at about the decibel level of a Fed Ex cargo jet.

All but one is deemed (by my sister) to be too young to fire anything but a bb gun.

When 15 comes around, each and every one of them will have shot a 10 gauge by then. Even the gay one. Especially the gay one.

Glock_Breaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Girls are encouraged to stretch themselves a lot more than little boys are these days. Being rambunctious and energetic is bad. They don't get as much recess or gym time, and they're probably not allowed to disappear for hours at a time in the woods.

Lock him outside with a box of fireworks and a book of matches. :-D

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Lock him outside with a box of fireworks and a book of matches. :-D

OMG yes... around 4th of July, the neighbor kid must've shot off $100 worth of firecrackers, right in the middle of the road. As soon as I ascertained that there was nobody shooting up the neighborhood, I had what I consider to be a NORMAL reaction: boys will be boys. Don't blow your fingers off or terrorize my dogs with them... otherwise, have fun.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Fathers are failing at raising men.

^^THIS. Plus kids today are so busy texting, sexting, playing xbox, on FB and laying on the couch they can't get much else done. My great nieces and nephews all have cell phones and are all under 10yrs old!! Cmon ppl, really???

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have two nephews who could not care less whether or not all of my legally owned firearms are someday confiscated by the government. Their dad was a couch potato who sat on his big butt, drank beer and watched sports on the wide screen television. Their grandad took them fishing at every opportunity, but was not allowed to let them shoot one of his guns. Now that they are grown up (notice that I did not say adults or mature as that would require them to have some of my values for me to honor them with either or both of those adjectives) they have no interests in any outdoor activites other than tossing a frisbee. My neice married a really nice guy (he really is) but declined an offer to go with me, my dad and brother to a gun show at the Fort Wayne coliseum to stay stay and see what his wife was getting at the baby shower. My mother would never tell me whether or not he actually participated in any of the games the ladies played. His son has about as much chance to shoot a gun as I have of becoming president. That is just the way they are whether I like it or not.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Eat
    Red
    Meat
    and
    Explode
    Stuff

To heck with the cub scouts. We need ERMaES. Give them badges shaped like steaks and bacon strip lanyards for respective achievements.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I guess I am one of those sissies.

I wear hearing protection all the time. I just can't stand to have my ears ring.

I don't think anyone is saying no hearing protection, just that you don't have to be afraid of things.

My dad shot often with no ears, worked construction for years and his hearing is SHOT. I wear protection religiously. Mowing, shooting, using power tools. etc.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

DUBYA

TEE

EFF!!!

My son is the same way, but there's hope, he's only 3.
    He keeps saying he wants a gun "when me bigger" but he hates fireworks, loud motorcycles, and especially my dad's 10 ga. blank cannon (tee hee hee). I'm pretty confident that between dad and me both being shooters, hunters, and big kids that love fireworks, he'll grow out of it.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Sounds like they all need a copy of The Dangerous Book for Boys!

The Dangerous Book for Boys | Conn Iggulden, Hal Iggulden

Saw this a while back, definitely going to order it and set it back for when my son is a little bigger...
    I played with fireworks, me and my friends had BB gun wars (yeah, that was stupid), and I drilled out empty C02 cartridges, filled them with my dad's gunpower, and set them off with long fuses in the backyard. I've still got all my fingers, toes, and both eyes. Boys will be boys, and need to be.

However there were days it was painful to sit after some of my escapades were discovered...

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My son is the same way, but there's hope, he's only 3.
    He keeps saying he wants a gun "when me bigger" but he hates fireworks, loud motorcycles, and especially my dad's 10 ga. blank cannon (tee hee hee). I'm pretty confident that between dad and me both being shooters, hunters, and big kids that love fireworks, he'll grow out of it.
    The fact that my oldest nephew is only 3 is the ONLY reason he hasn't been dragged to the range already. I understand that there's a time when loud noises being scary is entirely appropriate, regardless of gender. My beef is with kids (and the parents of such kids) who somehow reach their teenage years without growing out of it. I mean what the hell... does mommy still cut the crusts off their bread at 15?

Top Bottom