• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    I just talked to my contact in the WV Government (11am Eastern Time Dec 19) who takes care of this. They are talking to IN but nothing has been confirmed yet. WV requires a signed letter from the other states Governor saying their state honors them or an actual signed agreement before they will honor them. (WV Law requires the signed letter to be from the Governor of the other state.) My Contact is not aware of anything official yet. He told me he would check further and give me a call back. If WV has changed I will let you know here and on Handgunlaw.us

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Seems like someone is wrong. Bill contacted the Attorney General's office, and they stated they honored it. Now your contact says no. Who is correct?

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    The WV DNR & MIlitary Affairs Dept (Office inside the AG's Office) takes care of agreements etc for WV. He called the AG's Office and talked to a woman. This woman told him to wait a minute and she checked. I would say that the woman just looked at the Website and saw Indiana Listed on it and stated it was OK. Indiana on the WV AG's site is telling those in WV that their permit is honored in Indiana but that WV does not honor them. You can see it here: Office of the West Virginia Attorney General - Patrick Morrisey I have not heard back from my contact who was checking on this and he told me he was not aware of it. Again he did tell me WV is talking to IN but he is not aware of anything being final yet. He also stated that if it did happen and he stated it would not be long after it was final that he would be made aware of it. I do believe the woman in the AG's Office was in error at this time. WV is trying to get this done it just hasn't been finalized yet and it could be awhile before it is.

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Just talked to my contact in the Dept that takes care of signing agreements etc for WV and nothing has changed with IN at this time. WV Still does not honor IN. They are talking to them but nothing is settled yet. Just wanted you in Indiana to know for sure.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just talked to my contact in the Dept that takes care of signing agreements etc for WV and nothing has changed with IN at this time. WV Still does not honor IN. They are talking to them but nothing is settled yet. Just wanted you in Indiana to know for sure.

Know what this means? Everybody on INGO needs to contact our Governor and tell this to get this paper signed!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Know what this means? Everybody on INGO needs to contact our Governor and tell this to get this paper signed!

I did so after I PMd with Gary.

I also just corrected my somewhat celebratory post to more of a rant. I am, at the moment, somewhat miffed. You may take that as an understatement to remain within the family-friendly rules of this site.

Go with what Gary found out. Gov. Pence needs to send a letter acknowledging that IN law recognizes a permit/license/whatever from WV.

My letter to him read as follows:

Dear Gov. Pence,

It has come to my attention that the state of West Virginia's laws have changed such that they will now recognize as valid within their state an Indiana License To Carry Handgun. This, however, is conditional on the Attorney General's office of that state receiving a letter with your signature confirming that Indiana will recognize a similar instrument from their state.

I am writing to ask that you sign a letter to that effect and mail it to them. This action would decriminalize the act of carry of a concealed handgun by a Hoosier who happened to be within their state, who would here be lawfully armed.

Thank you in advance for sending this letter. I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Most sincerely,
    (signed)

Blessings,
    Bill

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I did so after I PMd with Gary.

I also just corrected my somewhat celebratory post to more of a rant. I am, at the moment, somewhat miffed. You may take that as an understatement to remain within the family-friendly rules of this site.

Go with what Gary found out. Gov. Pence needs to send a letter acknowledging that IN law recognizes a permit/license/whatever from WV.

My letter to him read as follows:

Blessings,
    Bill

mind if I borrow that letter?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    mind if I borrow that letter?

I don't mind, but I suggest changing the phrasing slightly such that it doesn't look like he's getting a form letter. Basically... if you're so inclined, use mine for ideas as to what you might want to say, but write it in your own words.

Also... and Caleb, this is not directed specifically to you... if you're not 100% sure that your spelling and grammar are correct, have someone else check it for you prior to sending it. Some don't think that those matter in informal conversations, and whether they do or not is not the issue. These letters are not informal. They are letters to your elected leaders, trying to initiate change in the actions of governmental bodies that affect our lives and property. I can't think of too many things more formal than that.

Blessings,
    Bill

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    when in doubt,contact WV State Police 304 746 2100 during regular business hours. They are aware of current status of reciprocity and ultimately are the authority you will be dealing with on a personal encounter...AGs office won't help you when dealing with initial contact by LEOs.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Getting a Utah permit is basically pointless now right?

Hopefully we can get constitutional carry (no license needed) passed the next session!!!
    I have faith in our Indiana reps! They have been doing great with our gun rights the last few years.

Still applies for Ohio. I carried in VW the other day on my Utah license though. To me there is still something more official looking about the Utah license than the indiana one. I dont think in other states when you hand a piece of paper to the cop their first reaction would be "yea this looks legit and not printed on a home printer using MS Word"

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    As written in W. VA. law, it seems this rests squarely with Gov. Pence's office. W. VA. requires a formal request for reciprocity from the Governor of Indiana. I'm called his office twice about it, but frankly the staffers I've spoken with have politely taken my information while sounded completely clueless as to what I have been talking about. Sure would be nice if the Governor would take the 5 minutes to dash off a formal request for reciprocity and be done with it.

Top Bottom