• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    While browsing ebay looking for gun parts, I happened to click on a seller's "other items" that was a piece of WWI trench art (it happened to be an empty rifle cartridge upon which someone had created a replica of the Notre Dame cathedral Reims in bas relief). That got me interested in seeing what else was out there, and in my search I came across this lighter. It was probably made around 1916 and commemorates the Fleury-Thiaumont campaign. There are some really cool pieces on ebay, mostly made from various types of artillery shell casings, bullets, shrapnel, etc.. If you are interested in such things, put "WWI Trench Art" in their search engine and take a look. I will probably be buying more in the future.

Here is a little bit of info about the Fleury-Thiaumont campaign: http://www.kaiserscross.com/40047/124001.html

Anyhow, here is the lighter. It still works, but I don't plan on carrying it. I'll probably just display it on my desk and maybe use it occasionally here at home.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I found a trench art ring when we were tearing up the carpet in the house we were buying (We got the keys early). It said 1945 Manila. We gave it to the son at closing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This was the first piece that I was looking at.

s-l1600.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Used to carry one like a cylinder when I smoked. It was great against the Chicago weather.

Somehow that seems like you would.....I remember sportsman guide used to sell replica's...Let me guess Kirk...Yours was the real deal???:)

A buddy of mine works at Ford's and carries his cigarettes in an original Nazi Eastern Front cigarette case...When anybody gives him any crap he points out the Eastern Front engraving and says, "It came off of a dead Nazi...You don't like Nazi's do ya?" :)

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Did a fair amount of trench art trading during my eBay days. Most folks selling didn't know what the things were ("odd brass flower vases"), not understanding the codes stamped on the bottom of the shells.

Best vase I had was made by 2 guys of a WWI African-American Company. I was able to trace their movements from CONUS through Europe, but could never find a personnel listing of the unit (initials of both men stamped on vase). The fact that it came from a black unit gave it an unusually high price at the end of bidding (IIRC, an African-American vet organization bought it).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did a fair amount of trench art trading during my eBay days. Most folks selling didn't know what the things were ("odd brass flower vases"), not understanding the codes stamped on the bottom of the shells.

Best vase I had was made by 2 guys of a WWI African-American Company. I was able to trace their movements from CONUS through Europe, but could never find a personnel listing of the unit (initials of both men stamped on vase). The fact that it came from a black unit gave it an unusually high price at the end of bidding (IIRC, an African-American vet organization bought it).

There is a lot of really neat stuff out there. I'm glad I happened to stumble on it by accident!

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    There is a lot of really neat stuff out there. I'm glad I happened to stumble on it by accident!

Amazing what the ordinary soldier can do in the middle of Hell. OTOH, given that over 1 billion shells were fired during WWI, and much of the fighting was from static trenches, those guys probably had a lot of free time in which to make such things. You don't see as much from WWII (50 BMG art seems the most prominent) or Vietnam.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Here's my latest. Actually came a few weeks ago but I just got around to taking pics. It's a Fokker airplane made from an 8mm Mauser round for the fuselage.

These two are to show an 8mm round for comparison.

Top Bottom