• Should I polish them?

• Total voters

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I know the would SHINE, but should I.... I feel like I would wipe away history and value in one stroke if I did.... I'd love to see it shine tho too. Hmmm... I'll even add a little backstory about my grandfather to go with it.. :)

scan0051.jpg

scan0047_zpsf87ce7a6.jpg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I voted do what makes you feel good. I have a gold and ruby ring that was first my great grandfather's, then my grandfather's, and is now mine. It had a patina and I polished it. I'm fine with it as I never intend to sell it and only intend to occasionally wear it before passing down to the next generation. I don't care what a collector says the loss of a patina means on this ring.

Now I also inherited some collectible silver coins from my grandfather. Those will never get polished as the patina certainly adds value.

Last edited:

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Don't do it! Relics like that are much more prized in their original (read worn) condition. However, if you are not going to ever get rid of them, clean them up if it makes you happy.

I did vote no.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    As others have said, let your conscience be your guide. However, I wouldn't just look at them as relics or objects - to your grandfather, they were much, much more than that.

As a veteran, my medals and ribbons would be among the last things I'd ever consider selling. I earned those - I didn't just stroll into a store and buy them.:patriot:

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well see there is my second thought.... go to a swap meet or supply store and see if I can't find another one that someone did sell, and polish that just for sport.

And yes, I am from the same school of thought... to my grandfather, those medals were proof that he and his friends, "saved the world". It's just sad he passed before I was old enough to ask him all the questions I have today.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    If you try to polish them you will likely, A) remove some of the fine details on the metal and B) never be able to completely remove some of the polish from the little nooks and crannies. They most likely will end up looking worse that if you just left them alone. Besides, the ribbon is faded and matches the dullness of the metal. Do you want a nice (kinda) shiney medal hanging on a dull, faded ribbon?

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    If you want shiny ones you can get new ones from his branch of service. When my Grandfather passed we went to Ft Leonardwood to get his WWII records for his Military Funeral and discovered he had several medals that he never told anyone about. We were able to get the 3 sets of medals for his 3 children to place in a shadow box for each. Needless to say everyone was completely suprised of the amount of medals he earned during his service and had never told anyone.
    That's just the way he was.......humble.

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you want shiny ones you can get new ones from his branch of service. When my Grandfather passed we went to Ft Leonardwood to get his WWII records for his Military Funeral and discovered he had several medals that he never told anyone about. We were able to get the 3 sets of medals for his 3 children to place in a shadow box for each. Needless to say everyone was completely suprised of the amount of medals he earned during his service and had never told anyone.
    That's just the way he was.......humble.

It's really sad there isn't more youth with this attitude today.... They still got my vote for the best generation.. :)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There is a good chance that those medals weren't shiny when new. I would leave them alone. Glad that you value them.

Top Bottom