• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Does anyone know if the U.S. government keeps track of serial numbers when they issue them to a soldier? My late grandfather had a 1911 stashed away and sold it before his grandchildren (i.e. me), were old enough to "play" with it...so he thought. :) If I remember correctly it was a polished steel...? He retired a Major. Anyway, I have a burr up my hind end to try and track it down. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Save yourself a lot of frustration, go get the 1911 of your choice, and spend all those hours happily shooting at your local range and getting really good at it. If it makes you happier, a number of the currently offerings look and operate much like the ones issued 70 years ago. Oh, and don't forget to remove the burr.....

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Does anyone know if the U.S. government keeps track of serial numbers when they issue them to a soldier? My late grandfather had a 1911 stashed away and sold it before his grandchildren (i.e. me), were old enough to "play" with it...so he thought. :) If I remember correctly it was a polished steel...? He retired a Major. Anyway, I have a burr up my hind end to try and track it down. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    IF you have the serial number, it's a possibility there would be paper work on it concerning your Grandfather, they would not have any info on whom he may have sold it to. The first place to start would be U.S.MARTIAL ARMS & Springfield Research Newsletter - Home

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    I was only thinking that if the Gov. had the serial number I could use that to identify if I find who he may have sold it to. Thanks for your thoughts.

Top Bottom