• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have been following this thread with great interest. Over the years, I have amassed a small collection of katanas and wakazachis, mostly G. I. bring-backs. I have been reluctant to consider selling, as I would have to rely upon the honesty of the purchaser in offering a fair price. I had one blade examined by a collector, who displayed a large book with the common swordsmiths. He explained the family blade with traditional mountings was crafted in the 1500s by a swordsmith named Kanetaka. He offered to trade even for a first generation Single Action Colt Army. I declined. Any ideas or resources to allow an estimate of the true value of these works of art?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have been following this thread with great interest. Over the years, I have amassed a small collection of katanas and wakazachis, mostly G. I. bring-backs. I have been reluctant to consider selling, as I would have to rely upon the honesty of the purchaser in offering a fair price. I had one blade examined by a collector, who displayed a large book with the common swordsmiths. He explained the family blade with traditional mountings was crafted in the 1500s by a swordsmith named Kanetaka. He offered to trade even for a first generation Single Action Colt Army. I declined. Any ideas or resources to allow an estimate of the true value of these works of art?

How long have you been buying? And bought any from west-central Indiana? :)

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have been buying since about 1985 and all came from the east coast. Really haven't come across any examples worth buying in Indiana. I was contacted by a collector in Chicago who has direct ties to Japan, but he was only buying, not selling. Valuation is still a concern.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have been buying since about 1985 and all came from the east coast. Really haven't come across any examples worth buying in Indiana. I was contacted by a collector in Chicago who has direct ties to Japan, but he was only buying, not selling. Valuation is still a concern.

My Q was just a shot in the dark if you were the fellow that my grandpa sold his stuff to... Was probably early 80's -but almost assuredly before '85. :D

Top Bottom