• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    In the news recently I have seen at least three cases of family members shooting other family and it really got me thinking.

Son shot parents after Halo 3 game ban - Technology - theage.com.au

Eleven killed in Alabama shooting spree | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

(can't find the third)

What Would You Do?

First the assumptions.....

You carry, there is no clues that someone you love is about to do anything violent, it is a "normal" day. When the event starts you do have time to draw your weapon before they get their shot off....you basically see it coming.

Family is probably the last people you would ever expect to do you harm but in these cases they were the ones. Would you be able to shoot them if they gave you no other choice?

In that case with the son and the Halo game, I'm not sure I could shoot my own son or even my GF's son...... I don't know what I would do. Tough call.

I pray it would never get to that.

s346k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    it's hard to wrap your head around a scenario like this. family is above all else, but being family doesn't eliminate the fact that they are wrong.

i'd do what it took to protect the innocent. enough said.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I've got one step-son who went down the wrong path (out of seven total kids between me & my wife - not terrible odds). I've warned him in no uncertain terms that if any of his 'aquaintances' caused any problems for the rest of the family that would justify deadly force I wouldn't hesitate for a second. That warning also included him.

You are right though. I'm not 100% sure that, in a 'normal' situation, you would have the warning necessary to wrap your head around the fact that you are in mortal danger from your own family member to react appropriately.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Don't know. A gunfight with immediate family members is a situation I've not given any tactical thought to. Nor am I going to. Entirely too depressing to "prepare" for such a thing.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    It is. We've had to take my GF's son's electronics away several times as punishment (nothing big, he is a good kid) and it's made me wonder.

Now I'm sure he'd never go postal and try to kill us but at the same time I'm sure the parents of that kid in my example would have never thought that their son would much less could have done something so terrible.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    A threat is a threat. When I was still on the job an officer that worked for me locked up my nephew who was a drug dealer on a traffic stop. I was a witness in the case. In an open courtroom his sister/my niece had to be restrained when her brother was sentenced. She went off and said she was going to kill/have killed me, my wife (her aunt) and my kids. She was an associate of the Crips street gang. I wrote a report so that if anything happened it would be on record. A threat is a threat.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    There is some of my family I would be a little more inclined to pull the switch than others. Those lucky enough, I would try to talk them down. (or follow the 5 d's of dodgeball). I could not be a shoot first person when it comes to people close to me, but if you addressed me as a threat, you will be treated as such. As said before, A threat is a threat.

JHAWK1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I could never harm my family out of the question if my kids came at me like that I would tell them I love them one last time and wait to meet my maker... thats just me though

Top Bottom