• ...and so much more!
  • Deputy527

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Indy WestSide
    Have you seen the movie "Blackhawk Down"? One of the operators in the movie was fashioned after a guy by the name of Paul Howe. Paul has since retired from the military and now runs a school catering to LE, military, government and civilian tactical training needs.

I have a friend who attended the tactical rifle course, giving the whole operation a huge thumbs up. I'm scheduled for the tactical pistol operator course and I'll give an update when I return.

Anyone else been to one of Paul's courses, seminars or presentations?

CSAT

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I would love to train with Mr. Howe; I've got a couple friends who have been and speak very highly of him and his courses. It's my understanding that the majority of his time is currently occupied with LE and military-oriented courses; his list of open-enrollment gigs for 2009 is pretty small, and they're all in TX. Most unfortunate for us Ordinary Earth People.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd like to do a class with Paul Howe some day for sure. He's still young and strong, so we all have plenty of time in case we can't do it this year of the next.

Clearly his practical experience is one of the primary assets, but his students speak highly of his instructional ability as well. From discussions with them and an email or two with him, I think he brings a perspective to rifle training that is a bit different than most others in the industry. The current paradigm is to essentially use the rifle/carbine as a big pistol that you hold with two hands and that's a very effective method. Mr. Howe (as I understand his curriculum and his approach) seems to be more of a rifleman's relationship to the weapon, then adapted to close quarters use. Both ends of the spectrum have a lot of merit in my opinion and it would be good to be exposed to both in addition to the unique benefits of instruction from Mr. Howe.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Mr. Howe (as I understand his curriculum and his approach) seems to be more of a rifleman's relationship to the weapon, then adapted to close quarters use.

From what I've heard, he is a real freak on accuracy; his practical experience in Somalia led him to the conclusion that the 5.56 round needs to be placed precisely in order to be effective. I have a copy of the CSAT rifle standards somewhere; they're pretty daunting. I have not been able to practice them as-written b/c I don't have access to a range with sufficient distance (IIRC, the last couple stages are from beyond 300 yards).

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    If you have the opportunity to train with Paul, do so. He does a good job of instruction and seems like someone genuinely interested in the students he has. I am looking forward to going back to Texas for another class.

He also has another book that should be out within a couple of months.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    He was at the Texas Tactical Police Officers conference in Dallas last week, I saw him but did not get a chance to meet him.- George

Top Bottom