• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Following Alaska and New Hampshire, Wyoming has added teeth to their act. via Cheyenne Gun Rights Examiner
    1 1(a) Any public servant of the state of Wyoming, as
    2 defined in W.S. 6-5-101, who enforces or attempts to
    3 enforce any act,order,law,statute,rule or regulationof
    4 the United States government relating to a personal
    5 firearm, firearm accessory or ammunition that is
    6 manufactured commercially or privately in Wyoming and that
    7 remains exclusively within the borders of Wyoming shall be
    8 guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be
    9 subject to imprisonment for not more than one (1) year, a
    10 fine of not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00), or
    11 both.
    13 (b) Any official, agent or employee of the United
    14 States government who enforces or attempts to enforce any
    15 act, order, law, statute, rule or regulation of the United
    16 States government upon a personal firearm, a firearm
    17 accessory or ammunition that is manufactured commercially
    18 or privately in Wyoming and that remains exclusively within
    19 the borders of Wyoming shall be guilty of a felony and,
    20 upon conviction, shall be subject to imprisonment for not
    21 more than two (2) years, a fine of not more than ten
    22 thousand dollars ($10,000.00), or both.
    More at the source, (including a link to the .pdf of the bill)

Looks like their cops will finally have to choose who they're beholden to. About time.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It will be very interesting to see if state and local cops make an arrest on the feds. Make for some very interesting court cases...

Tallenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Thorntown
    I can't wait to see the first news broadcast about some Wyoming sheriff throwing a bunch of Feds in the county lockup! Waayy past time, IMO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Realyl glad to see that's the states are taking power back. The founding fathers meant for the federal government to have limited power and leave the rest to the states.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'd like to hear some of the lawyers on this site explain the legal reasoning for federal firearms laws. I understand the abuse of the commerce clause, but I've always had that question as well. As long as I manufactured a weapon and kept it within state lines, what is the legal argument for federal enforcement?

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I'd like to hear some of the lawyers on this site explain the legal reasoning for federal firearms laws. I understand the abuse of the commerce clause, but I've always had that question as well. As long as I manufactured a weapon and kept it within state lines, what is the legal argument for federal enforcement?

Oh, they always come up with something...

-Was it paid for in Federal Reserve Notes?
    -Was the profit from the sale liabal for Federal Income Tax?
    -Did the sale take place within 1000-feet of a school?
    -Did the buyer, seller or manufacturer have a Social Security number?
    -Does the State of Wyoming want to keep it's Federal highway funds?
    -We're bigger than you.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Ha! Ever hear of Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942)? You could argue that United States v. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549 (1995) overrules Wickard, but it hasn't gotten that far.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Oh, they always come up with something...

-Was it paid for in Federal Reserve Notes?
    -Was the profit from the sale liabal for Federal Income Tax?
    -Did the sale take place within 1000-feet of a school?
    -Did the buyer, seller or manufacturer have a Social Security number?
    -Does the State of Wyoming want to keep it's Federal highway funds?
    -We're bigger than you.

In a criminal case in WV, where a woman had burned her house down in with her kids in it, the state wanted to keep juridiction. WV voters have decided they do not want the death penalty, and the feds thought she should get it. Disregarding my personal feelings on that particular matter, what they tried to do REALLY p/o'd a bunch of folks.

They said that since the electric power to her house crossed state lines, it was a federal crime, and they tried to take jurisdiction. I really can't remember how that worked for them, but it gives you an idea of what kind of stunts they'll try to pull.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    In a criminal case in WV, where a woman had burned her house down in with her kids in it, the state wanted to keep juridiction. WV voters have decided they do not want the death penalty, and the feds thought she should get it. Disregarding my personal feelings on that particular matter, what they tried to do REALLY p/o'd a bunch of folks.

They said that since the electric power to her house crossed state lines, it was a federal crime, and they tried to take jurisdiction. I really can't remember how that worked for them, but it gives you an idea of what kind of stunts they'll try to pull.

Using a horrible tragedy so they could look like some kind of heroes. Pathetic.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Using a horrible tragedy so they could look like some kind of heroes. Pathetic.

I really think their motivation was simply that they wanted to put her in the chair. But trying to seize control of a state matter just irritated the snot out of everybody. Even those of us who wanted to see her put in the chair.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    So the west has been tamed a little bit! A big :+1: to the states doing this! We need more states letting the feds know that they don't run us we run them. I think we should try to push for Indiana to do this. If in every state that allowed gun manufactures to opened shop it would create income for the state and employment possibly??

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    WOW

I could not be more proud of Wyoming. Amazing! :rockwoot:

I want to go there right now!! I wonder if Indiana would be so protective of us when facing the Feds?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    It will be very interesting to see if state and local cops make an arrest on the feds. Make for some very interesting court cases...
    Interesting question.
    In Indiana, Police Officers take a STATE oath of office and swear loyalty to the laws of the State of Indiana, the State Constitution, and the Constitution of the United States. Nowhere in my oath did it say that I was duty bound to enforce, or uphold, the Federal Statutes, laws, rules, or regulations.
    (Unless they've changed the oath recently.)
    Mike

Top Bottom