• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just got back from my Wyoming Mule Deer/Antelope hunt. We got all our tags filled!

My Muley-

21kc7ef.jpg

112ejjo.jpg

My Antelope-

9068nq.jpg

My Buddy's Muley-

257ioie.jpg

My Buddy's Antelope-

SPOT RESERVED FOR PIC

We hunted the Casper, WY area for both. Area 70 for the goats and Area 34 for deer. Hotel hunted for the antelope, camped for the deer. I used a Browning A-Bolt .300 Win. Mag. for both with 180gr. Remington Core-Lokts. My buddy hunted with a Savage 25/06, using Hornady 117gr. SST's. The antelope were on private land, the deer on BLM/State land.

We were hunting antelope about 25 days into the season, so they were pretty skittish. We had a hard time getting within 500yds of them. I got my antelope on the third day of hunting after many failed stalks. Missed once at 400yds, but he hung around long enough for me to close some distance and get another shot at about 275yds. My buddy got his goat on day 2. His popped up out of a small canal on the property with 2 does, shot was about 140yds.

On to the deer hunt. This was definitly the most physical hunt I've ever done...that said also the best. Can't wait to go back again for deer and elk! As I said earlier we camped for the deer, pulled a camper almost 2 hours into the back country on the south end of the Big Horn Mtns. We seen tons of does and several bucks. The first couple days were a little tough, we seen deer, but not like we thought we'd see. Day 3 we decided to change tactics and hike into some areas not accesable by road, we started seeing more bucks and even went after a decent one. After we had a failed stalk on the buck we were after, we decided to hike back and come back the next day after the buck. We got to the truck and went a couple miles down the road and found a nice buck standing in between two hills not far from the road. We stopped, moved into a good shooting position and my buddy took the shot at less than 100yds. It was a 3x3 with a couple short brow tines. The next day we went back to the same area and hiked in a ways. We came up on a several small groups of deer all out feeding on a sage flat, probably about 50-60 deer total. We identified a couple decent bucks and I decided to put a stalk on one. I got down off the hill and started making my way through the sage brush towards the buck. I couldn't see the buck anymore since I was down lower and he had went over the next hillside down into the valley between. My buddy ended up coming down to tell me so we could get up to the edge faster and possibly get a shot before he covered too much ground. When we came over the hill top and looked down into the valley a large group of deer were already making their way across, the buck I was after included. I then looked to my right and saw a set of antlers sticking up from behind the brush 275yds away. We got down and waited for the bedded buck to stand up and move out from the brush, when he finally did I took my shot. He did a complete flip onto his back and slid a little ways down the hill. He was a 4x4 with a lot of little gnarly stickers around his bases and a small brow tine on one side. Since we hiked into this one, we had to pack it out. I got 2 quarters and the back straps in my pack and strapped the head and cape on the outside, my buddy carried the other 2 quarters for me.

A few pics from where we deer hunted-

3586nfq.jpg

5kj8g1.jpg

spxmgy.jpg

2dqj9ts.jpg

We ended up finishing our hunts earier than expected, so we went up to Yellowstone and checked things out for a couple days. Got to see lots of bison, some elk and a mother grizzley with two cubs. We were a pretty far way off from the grizzley's so we couldn't get pics, just watched through the bino's. Great trip and I really look forward to going back out!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Nice high racked muley.

I was there after antelope starting on day 5, though east near Eden, and they were hard to close on then too. Had to make delivery from 570 yards and that was after chasing for half the day. If I'd thought ahead enough for deer tags I'd have had a much easier time.

WY is always worth the trip.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    thats sweet man. how did you get your tags ? points,lottery, OTC ?

Both lottery, our antelope spot is pretty much 100% draw. The deer took 2 points, but was only 40% draw with 2 points, we got lucky! :D They said next year it will take 6 points with a regular license or 4 with a special license in that area for 100%. If anybody ever wanted to hunt out in Wyoming (or anywhere out west) in the future I'd suggest to start buying points now, get yourself into a good area! ;)

Top Bottom