• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Picked up an Old Bullet trap the other day .. and finally got to test it..

The X-Ring Centrifugal Bullet Trap was manufactured for target shooters in the 1930s and 1940s. The square funnel made of quarter-inch steel leading into a snail-shaped trap. The opening of the funnel is about 18" x 18" with a clamp to hold the target.

It weighs about 90 pounds and has "X - RING PRODUCTS CENTRIFUGAL BULLET TRAP PEKIN ILL PATS PEND." molded in the tail.

Now did not get the original stand for it so am using an improvised stand.

Have been told that they were used by the Military but have not been able to verify that.

From what I have read this will eat about any pistol round out there (Do not know about magnum Rounds) I tested it with 45 acp Jacketed rounds and 44-40 lead rounds. No problem with either. The bullets were beyond destroyed.
    The Jacketed rounds Sometimes had the Jacket completely pealed away.

2468j9g.jpg

96vmzr.jpg

2pt3rqr.jpg

5bvgis.jpg

9jdvk3.jpg

On a local Interest Note, I was about to rip off the old shipping tag. But when I looked at it, this was originally shipped to the old Vonnegut Hardware store in Indianapolis..

Last edited:

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I like picking up old bullets I find lying on the berm at the range. There are always quite a few on the surface, especially if we've had any rain. I like how shiny and clean these are. You get them before they even touch the dirt.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I like picking up old bullets I find lying on the berm at the range. There are always quite a few on the surface, especially if we've had any rain. I like how shiny and clean these are. You get them before they even touch the dirt.

Well they are really not clean as much as they have been just ground up and polished ..

Because they 1st strike the armored cone (Well hopefully the bullets strike the target first) then the bullet slows down by spinning around the walls of the snail cone at the end. Then before they fall down in the cup they may just fall in bullet slow down path in the end cone. And then the next bullet can hit the firstl bullet as it its slowing down..

So the bullets get ripped up pretty bad and grind up against the metal wall while they slow, almost polishing them and makes lead looks pretty clean..

It would be a hell of a cool show with slow motion photography

Top Bottom