• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Is there a cleaning manual out there for XD's?

I cleaned mine really good but I need to remove a few things in the lower to clean a few areas.......

I can pull apart the slide no problem but don't want to damage anything in the lower.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    seems like a lot of work. Mine'll stay dirty if field stripping it isn't enough.

I share this sentiment. If I ever have enough issues with my 1911 that I feel the need to detail strip it, it's going to a gunsmith. If something bad ends up happening at least someone else will have to take responsibility! :D

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I share this sentiment. If I ever have enough issues with my 1911 that I feel the need to detail strip it, it's going to a gunsmith. If something bad ends up happening at least someone else will have to take responsibility! :D

There is only one area that I want to get into that does not look like a big deal. I like having my stuff clean and don't want to worry about build up... Personally I don't think you would need to tear it down 100% every time but I would rather not trust my life to something that may have issues because it is dirty.

From what I can tell nothing needs any force really to remove it so if something does break it was because I was being stupid....

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    XDs need cleaned? :scratch:

Actually, the first thing that seems to show up on my 45's are the loaded chamber indicator gets gummed up pretty fast and stays up in the loaded position regardless if a round is chambered or not. Other than that, I would clean much less. I have tried both not lubing this area and also slightly lubing it. Never fails... About every 500-800 rounds, the indicator freezes up and wont budge. Probably doesn't help that I'm using Unique in my loads.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I boiled some water with dawn dish liquid once. Pour it in a small bucket, or pan then soaked the XD. Came out squeeky clean. Made sure to rinse and dry it well, then apply a little lube. Air hose works great for drying internals.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    XD's need no cleaning....they are a gift from God. :D Yes I am joking. Thanks for posting this thread as I have been wanting to completely tear mine down.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    If you can chew gum while walking then you can take apart an XD and put it back together, not bad no gunsmith needed, even for a 1911. Then again I have to take everthing apart.

Nuke-in-Indy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Avon
    XDs need cleaned? :scratch:

Indeed, XDs need no cleaning. I've put 2300 rounds (give or take) through mine with zero issues. I took it out of the box 16 months ago and started banging away. I've not lubed, cleaned, or otherwise defaced my lovely XD in the time that I've owned her. To date I've not had one single malfunction. YMMV :draw:

Nuke-in-Indy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Avon
    Updated XD torture test results

To resurrect a dead thread:

As previously noted above, I have not performed one single iota of maintenance on my XD 9 Service Model. To date the gun is 20 months old and has 3600+ rounds through the barrel. Not one single malfunction has occurred. I have used a variety of ammo from WWB to Blazer to Cor-Bon, all without issue. YMMV :draw:

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    They are indeed dishwasher safe...

I actually used my GF's Vibrating Jewelry Cleaning thingy with some very hot water and dish soap (Dawn Citrus).

Nuke-in-Indy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Avon
    Not only do I not worry about a mulfunction of my XD, but I'm also confident that it won't explode in my hand (or safe for that matter). :laugh:

Top Bottom