• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bongoboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Peru
    I recently picked up my first Springfield - an XD-S 3.3 9mm. (The gun felt good in my hand and the price was right - plus Springfield has that SWEET 4 mag/mag pouch/holster promo right now.) I have not even put a round thru it yet. However, upon inspecting it closer at home, I noticed something odd (to me)... with no mag inserted, the mag release button was spring loaded and firm - no side to side rattle. However, when a mag is inserted, there's a good bit of play when you move the gun side to side - enough that it goes "click click click click" back and forth - and it's that mag release button, which seems to have no tension on it at all when the mag is inserted.

I contacted Springfield, described the issue, and the customer service rep said that was not right, and she issued me an RMA to send it in for service. I did that. I JUST received a note back from service - here's their response:

"I wanted to inform you that the issue you sent your XDS in for being a slightly loose mag release button when a magazine is inserted is actually completely normal for the XDS. When a magazine is inserted the position of the spring and catch changes causing the spring to change tension. It should have no effect onhow the magazine is released and also how the magazine seats in the mag-well. We have fully inspected your pistol and everything is within our specifications and ready to return to be used. Many people have chosen the XDS as a carry or personal protection pistol and I assure you that the slight play in the magazine release is not easily heard or noticed when carrying the pistol. "

They are correct in that it doesn't seem to have any effect on release itself, or how the mag seats in the mag-well - those are fine. However, it just seems odd to me that there would/should be any rattle at all. While this is my first Springfield, I do own several other semi-auto pistols - and this Springfield is the ONLY one that has this issue. They mention that when the mag is inserted, it causes the spring to change tension - but it would seem to me that simply changing tension shouldn't remove tension altogether, which is exactly what seems to happen.

Other XD-S owners... what does yours do? I'm picky, for sure... but I'm curious... what do you think?

Last edited:

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Seems odd but pretty much every gun has its little quirks. I'm sure you would never notice it while carrying. This is God's way of telling you that you should have bought a Glock. I kid, I kid....:)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    When i get home from work I'll check mine out. Its tue xds 3.3 but in 45. I'll post after i check, but i don't recall mine doing that

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Finally had a chance to check my 45 and its fine with or without mag. Guess at least Springfield is aware of your issue if a problem does arise in the future. Sure does suck though to have in back of your mind there could be an issue. I say shoot the heck out of it and keep an eye out to see if it seems to get worse

Top Bottom