• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Get some snap caps. lawrra is correct about dry fire putting excessive stress on the XD's striker retaining pin. I broke mine during a period of daily dry fire and Springfield refused to send me a replacement... they wanted me to send the slide in instead.

Ouch, then maybe I wont. Geez, lots of opinions on this question indeed.

If you decide to dry fire anyway...striker retaining pins are relatively cheap. PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL SPRINGFIELD XD
    Save that link...you may need it :D

Thanks for the link -- bookmarked.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    lol, I love the conflicting information here. And I'm going to add a +1 for what I've seen more often and makes more sense. Dry Firing is OK for a modern firearm and especially an xD. So anyway, for what it's worth +1 OK Dry Fire :)

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Snap caps are good for malfunction clearing practice as well. Load up a couple in your mag randomly at the range since we all know a XD doesn't FTF or FTE.

You don't need snap caps for a Glock...you'll have plenty of practice clearing malfunctions. :popcorn:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I don't keep track of total rounds spent (although it's been years and lots, easily 2k) but I had exactly one failure with my Glock 17 - and it was a bad primer in a factory box of WWB. It was, in no way, the fault of the firearm, and Winchester sent me a new box in exchange for my bum round!!

I also dry-fire as part of my training, but only at the range (or for cleaning at home). I often start range day with a hundred dry-fire shots..

Top Bottom