XDM 5.25 Upgrades (Trigger, Grip, Recoil Spring)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 9mm and wanted to share my experience some of the following upgrades. After taking it to the range once, I felt there was something to be desired still with the muzzle control and trigger. After doing some research, it became clear that a PRP trigger was considered a must-have upgrade by many other owners. I decided to follow suit and couldnt be happier.

PRP Trigger
    PRP has a few different trigger kits for the XDM.
    Drop In Kit: 3.5lbs - 4.5lbs (no fitting required)
    Ultimate Match Kit: 3.5lbs - 4.5lbs (fitting required)
    Extreme Trigger Kit: as low as 2.5lbs (this just seemed too low for my comfort)

I decided to go with the drop in trigger kit. It comes with two different sets of springs. The lighter ones with a blue marking are considered the competion version of the two in this kit. I ended up using the competition set. Pull weight is good, travel is good. Its very easy to install if you have some punches (took me about 35-45 minutes). All in all, it feels perfect now. :yesway: :yesway:

Trigger Install Guide:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-ycZ_XxMQ

Wolff 16lb Recoil Spring
    In addition to the PRP drop in trigger, I also swapped out the factory recoil spring with a 16lb Wolff recoil spring. This really made a difference in the muzzle flip for me. The factory spring is 18lb. Some also have said this helps with failure to ejects after putting in the PRP drop in kit. FWIW, I put 100rds of Tulammo steel through it without a single problem.

Talon Grips
    I went with the skateboard finish on the grip. I would highly recommend this as well. The rubber version of the grip would probably be better for a carry gun, but being a range gun I was comfortable going with the skateboard finish. At first I was kind of suspect of sticking anything on the grip of a gun. I'll probably be putting talon grips on every handgun I own from here on out now.

Parts:
    PRP DROP IN TRIGGER KIT XDM 5.25 9MM (Part# PRP056940) ---- $109.99 @ Brownells
    TALON Grips 205G for Full Size Springfield XD(M) 9mm (skateboard finish) ---- $19.99 @ Amazon
    16lb Wolff Recoil Spring Springfield XDM 9mm Luger, 40 S&W 4-1/2" Barrel ---- $7.99 @ Midway (5.25 and 4.5 are the same spring apparently)
    Winchester Brass/Steel Punch Set 15 Pc ---- $18.35 @ Amazon (Good middle of the road punch set)

USPSA/IDPA Considerations
    I am by no means an expert in this area, but its something I wanted to at least be somewhat aware of before modifying the gun. Please chime in if you have any additional information.

USPSA: From my research it seems like with these items the gun still qualifies for the production division.

IDPA: There seems to be an interesting history for the XDM 5.25 in IDPA. It appears to have started out as an ESP pistol, but then became SSP eligible in its stock form. However, there has been a lot of discussion on whether or not the PRP external trigger causes it to be ESP. Some argue that since the trigger is an OEM trigger that its still should be eligible to be SSP due to that. Some say it doesnt really matter for local/club matches. I'd be curious if anyone has any experience with the ESP vs SSP piece of this regarding the PRP trigger and it being OEM.

Last edited:

singlestacker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Porter County
    All striker fired guns are considered SSP legal. However, replacing the trigger, will kick it to ESP. The trigger replacement will not be USPSA Production legal either. You will have to shoot it in the Limited division. You can make trigger system modifications as long as the actual trigger remains a factory part.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 9mm and wanted to share my experience some of the following upgrades. After taking it to the range once, I felt there was something to be desired still with the muzzle control and trigger. After doing some research, it became clear that a PRP trigger was considered a must-have upgrade by many other owners. I decided to follow suit and couldnt be happier.

PRP Trigger
    PRP has a few different trigger kits for the XDM.
    Drop In Kit: 3.5lbs - 4.5lbs (no fitting required)
    Ultimate Match Kit: 3.5lbs - 4.5lbs (fitting required)
    Extreme Trigger Kit: as low as 2.5lbs (this just seemed too low for my comfort)

I decided to go with the drop in trigger kit. It comes with two different sets of springs. The lighter ones with a blue marking are considered the competion version of the two in this kit. I ended up using the competition set. Pull weight is good, travel is good. Its very easy to install if you have some punches (took me about 35-45 minutes). All in all, it feels perfect now. :yesway: :yesway:

Trigger Install Guide:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-ycZ_XxMQ

Wolff 16lb Recoil Spring
    In addition to the PRP drop in trigger, I also swapped out the factory recoil spring with a 16lb Wolff recoil spring. This really made a difference in the muzzle flip for me. The factory spring is 18lb. Some also have said this helps with failure to ejects after putting in the PRP drop in kit. FWIW, I put 100rds of Tulammo steel through it without a single problem.

Talon Grips
    I went with the skateboard finish on the grip. I would highly recommend this as well. The rubber version of the grip would probably be better for a carry gun, but being a range gun I was comfortable going with the skateboard finish. At first I was kind of suspect of sticking anything on the grip of a gun. I'll probably be putting talon grips on every handgun I own from here on out now.

Parts:
    PRP DROP IN TRIGGER KIT XDM 5.25 9MM (Part# PRP056940) ---- $109.99 @ Brownells
    TALON Grips 205G for Full Size Springfield XD(M) 9mm (skateboard finish) ---- $19.99 @ Amazon
    16lb Wolff Recoil Spring Springfield XDM 9mm Luger, 40 S&W 4-1/2" Barrel ---- $7.99 @ Midway (5.25 and 4.5 are the same spring apparently)
    Winchester Brass/Steel Punch Set 15 Pc ---- $18.35 @ Amazon (Good middle of the road punch set)

USPSA/IDPA Considerations
    I am by no means an expert in this area, but its something I wanted to at least be somewhat aware of before modifying the gun. Please chime in if you have any additional information.

USPSA: From my research it seems like with these items the gun still qualifies for the production division.

IDPA: There seems to be an interesting history for the XDM 5.25 in IDPA. It appears to have started out as an ESP pistol, but then became SSP eligible in its stock form. However, there has been a lot of discussion on whether or not the PRP external trigger causes it to be ESP. Some argue that since the trigger is an OEM trigger that its still should be eligible to be SSP due to that. Some say it doesnt really matter for local/club matches. I'd be curious if anyone has any experience with the ESP vs SSP piece of this regarding the PRP trigger and it being OEM.

You are still USPSA legal. The way I understand the rule and the way it has been explained to me is that modification are legal as long as you can purchase the gun from the manufacture. You can order a 5.25 with exactly what you described above.

Top Bottom