• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been a Glock guy exclusively since I got involved with handguns a short time ago. My son is pushing the Springfield XDM as THE leading polymer pistol of the day. I've got a 9 and a 45 (Glock) but I might be talked into expanding my collection with a .40.

Let's hear the pro and con on these Springfield models vs. Glock 22/23.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Try the Glocks and the Springfield if you can. A wide range of holsters can be found for either. I carry my XDm 40 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck without issues. I've heard a thing or two about troubles with the 22, causing some LE agencies to switch to a a different caliber Glock or back to Sig, etc. I've seen the XDm in Combat Handguns, as well as Guns & Ammo, being called the "best combat ready handgun available."

Here are a couple things I've noticed with my XDm, along with many other owners. At first, the mags will be difficult to load to 16 rds and inserting/dropping a full mag will be tight with the slide closed. I have about 400 rds through mine and the mags and the release have loosened quite a bit. A nice pat on the base of the mag with your palm will seat it nicely. A little pressure on the mag base and depressing the mag release will allow the mag to drop easily. If you're a fan of night sites you're in luck because any sight made for a XD will fit the XDm (I read an email from Trijicon's customer service that they would be developing sights specifically for the XDm).

I haven't had any FTF/FTE, or malfunctions of any sort with the XDm. I've never had an issue with disengaging the grip safety, or the trigger safety. And to top it off, it comes in a nice case!

I would recommend you make your decision on ergonomics, the trigger (personal preference), capacity, and anything else you could add to the list. Regardless of your decision, you'll have added a fine firearm to your collection.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Try the Glocks and the Springfield if you can. A wide range of holsters can be found for either. I carry my XDm 40 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck without issues. I've heard a thing or two about troubles with the 22, causing some LE agencies to switch to a a different caliber Glock or back to Sig, etc. I've seen the XDm in Combat Handguns, as well as Guns & Ammo, being called the "best combat ready handgun available."

Here are a couple things I've noticed with my XDm, along with many other owners. At first, the mags will be difficult to load to 16 rds and inserting/dropping a full mag will be tight with the slide closed. I have about 400 rds through mine and the mags and the release have loosened quite a bit. A nice pat on the base of the mag with your palm will seat it nicely. A little pressure on the mag base and depressing the mag release will allow the mag to drop easily. If you're a fan of night sites you're in luck because any sight made for a XD will fit the XDm (I read an email from Trijicon's customer service that they would be developing sights specifically for the XDm).

I haven't had any FTF/FTE, or malfunctions of any sort with the XDm. I've never had an issue with disengaging the grip safety, or the trigger safety. And to top it off, it comes in a nice case!

I would recommend you make your decision on ergonomics, the trigger (personal preference), capacity, and anything else you could add to the list. Regardless of your decision, you'll have added a fine firearm to your collection.

Thanks for the input Lawrra. I have the same problem with my G30SF. The XDM looks like a great gun. I saw one price where it looks like they run about $100 more than Glock?

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    notagain.jpg
    Both are good guns !

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sigh... here we go.

Find a range where you can rent one and see if you like it better than the Glock.

Oh, come on Chez. 53 posts and your sighing already? I'm not trying to start a controversy. I own only Glocks and I'm opening to trying Springfield, mostly because I respect my son's opinion who, frankly knows more about handguns that I do. Do you have any opinions about my topic? Or do you just tire of people asking questions on this forum easily?

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I SAID BOTH ARE GOOD GUNS SO CHILL THE F!@# OUT !
    Hey, I missed your small print. But between the picture you posted and your avatar, your initial impression is basically to tell everyone to F@# Off. I don't really care what you do, but if you look in the mirror you might realize you're the one who needs to chill. Do you have anything worth saying comparing the two pistols?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I would say that this is a very subjective question. The XDm design is certainly newer, but the Glock is one helluva proven platform. Having shot XDs (not XDms) and Glocks, I prefer Glocks. But, I've heard great things about the XDm.

You really need to try both and see what you like best. You really can't go wrong either way.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Hey, I missed your small print. But between the picture you posted and your avatar, your initial impression is basically to tell everyone to F@# Off. I don't really care what you do, but if you look in the mirror you might realize you're the one who needs to chill. Do you have anything worth saying comparing the two pistols?
    I looked in the mirror and and thanks Im one pretty MoFo :D Both are good guns I have both cant go wrong either way ! Come on down to Martinsville and You can shoot my XD and see what ya think (you bring the ammo ) :ar15:

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Bigum. I didn't really anticipate that this topic would generate so much heat, but I guess most folks are firmly in one camp or another. I would be really nice if people who are familiar with the XDM would contribute something tangible to this discussion.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I would say they are. The trigger is a true single action instead of something in between SA and DA. This takes care of some of the creep issues. The aggressively textured grip (some people don't like it) and the interchangeable backstrap help the ergonomics. The grip angle is more natural then a glock. The XDm's (XD's too) have remedied some of the design problems with glocks that I dare not mention lest I be stoned by the dark side.

My only complaint with them is that the slide height is a bit on the high side. The sights will be a good bit higher above your hand then you are used to with a glock. You didn't say whether you have had a chance to shoot a XDm yet. If you haven't you should.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I looked in the mirror and and thanks Im one pretty MoFo :D Both are good guns I have both cant go wrong either way ! Come on down to Martinsville and You can shoot my XD and see what ya think (you bring the ammo ) :ar15:

Thanks for the invitation. Can you elaborate on the differences between the two guns? Do you prefer one over the other?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Thanks Bigum. I didn't really anticipate that this topic would generate so much heat, but I guess most folks are firmly in one camp or another. I would be really nice if people who are familiar with the XDM would contribute something tangible to this discussion.

Oh, you have no idea how true that is.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would say they are. The trigger is a true single action instead of something in between SA and DA. This takes care of some of the creep issues. The aggressively textured grip (some people don't like it) and the interchangeable backstrap help the ergonomics. The grip angle is more natural then a glock. The XDm's (XD's too) have remedied some of the design problems with glocks that I dare not mention lest I be stoned by the dark side.

My only complaint with them is that the slide height is a bit on the high side. The sights will be a good bit higher above your hand then you are used to with a glock. You didn't say whether you have had a chance to shoot a XDm yet. If you haven't you should.

Thanks, King. At last! Some real observations of the differences! Thank you! I have not shot an XDM yet and even though I am to date a Glock-only owner, you will never be stoned by me.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    a) Glocks don't feel good in my hand (at all)
    b) the XDm feels a lot better in my hand, but not excellent
    c) the XD feels spectacular in my hand, hence why I bought one

As for functionality and reliability, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I think you'd be extremely happy with an XDm in your collection, if it fits your hand nicely. My XD's purpose was for concealed carry, so the feel did it for me (and the fact that it was shorter than the XDm by a 1/2 inch). What good is a match grade barrel if the grip doesn't feel right?

If you doubt the reliability of the XD family at all, check out the Torture Test article: SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ok I'm new here but I've been a long time lurker. I've seen this topic/argument covered over and over and OVER again and again and AGAIN...

Top Bottom