• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Hi Everyone,
    I just got back from the range and shooting my **NEW** (love it love it love it) Springfield XDM C 3.8 (9mm)....thought I'd share my assessment:

First off, I have to say I love my .357 Rossi revolver!!! (Just tossing that in there) Switching to a semi-auto was a completely new feel. But I think this was a great gun to start with for a semi-auto.
    The XDMc has very minimal recoil and felt very smooth. I love the tiny trigger reset. Also the travel on the trigger was nil. I was concerned that there would be an issue with the poly body of this gun and that recoil would make it not fun to shoot. This was not the case at all. It was a complete breeze..
    It was easier to shoot with the 19 round mag loaded due to the weight of the bullets, but as I shot I noticed it lightening and had to concentrate more on trigger control. My hand was not pinched at all with the extended mag either.
    Shame on me, I didn't clean the gun before going to the range. I had 4 failures to eject and one failure to feed. I think this is because of the oil from the factory though. This was all with PMC gold brand and after 50+ rounds. The first 50 were MFS and had no issues at all.
    I found this gun to be very accurate, smooth and easy to shoot (in spite of the issues). I love the highly visible sights. I gave it a thorough cleaning and will go back to the range to see if the mis-feed and failure to eject issues will go away.
    I looked around prior to purchase to see if it was available without the kit which includes a paddle holster, magazine holster, different sized grips, a 13 round mag and a 19 round mag, a vinyl cleaning brush and gun lock (all packaged in a nice case). I found the gun by itself for $597.00 but when I factored in the $20 for extra mags, it made no sense to buy just the gun. The case is nice and even has an extra spot for a 3rd magazine.
    I personally don't like the holster cos I prefer an IWB type, but the include OWB will do when I feel like OC'ing....(which will most likely be never).

All in all, a great gun that is very accurate and fun to shoot. This is definitely going to be my concealed carry gun!! :D

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    I forgot to mention that it has a match grade barrel and can handle +P's!!!
    Which makes me love it more!
    The slide is very easy to work, even though it is new. The slide release, however, is very stiff out of the box. It is much easier to push the button down when there is a loaded magazine in the gun. Also, it has an ambidextrous magazine release which can be easily reached without having to cant the gun.

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm glad you like it. My wife carries a XDm9 compact and I've shot it quite a bit. They are nice shooters.

The malfunctions are concerning. Even granting a brief break in period, five malfunction seems excessive. The next time you take it to the range take a different brand of ammo and shoot at least 200 rounds through it. If there are no malfunctions you can be confident it was either break in issues or the gun doesn't like PMC.

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    @King, thanks for the tip. I'm going to try that....any excuse to put 200 rounds through it will be taken!! :D
    I hope it is just break in issues, if not, i'll have to send it back to springfield. and I've heard their customer service is great. Hopefully it won't come to that. I'll stick with the MFS brand. That worked fine with 0 malfunctions.
    It was a completely different feel to shoot a semi-auto, when all i've been shooting is my revolver. and 9mm bullets punch a nasty shredded hole, especially compared to .38 specials and .357's.....

I wonder if the magazine was not seated far enough? Could that be a source of the malfunctions?

can't wait to hear more good things about XDM's!!! i've become a big fan especially after shooting (in spite of the malfunctions)

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Keeping it loaded in my nightstand while my .357 is out for repair!! it is definitely a good substitute!! :D

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    So I went back to the range and put 200 rounds through it (Magtech brand) without a single FTE or FTL....
    The one issue I did have was that the slide didn't lock back when the magazine was empty. That could be a mechanical issue or it could be due to my form when shooting....I'm still working on that

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    So I went back to the range and put 200 rounds through it (Magtech brand) without a single FTE or FTL....
    The one issue I did have was that the slide didn't lock back when the magazine was empty. That could be a mechanical issue or it could be due to my form when shooting....I'm still working on that

I have a couple of guns, where the slide would not lock back after the last round. It was do to the gun having a stiff recoil spring. If it keeps happening after roughly 500 rounds. Then you may have a magazine issue.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

That's awesome. It's safe to say you either had break in issues or you found a brand of ammo you gun doesn't like. I"m glad everything is good to go now. Regarding the slide not locking back, you have to be careful of hand placement. I had a terrible time with factory XD slide stops. The meat of my thumb would sit on the stop and prevent it from locking the slide back. I had to go to pistol gear extended slide stops on my XD's. They're longer but also thinner. You may be having the same issue. Actually, I would bet money I don't have that is what is going on.

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Still not sure why the slide isn't locking back. It may have lessened, but I haven't shot my XDM a lot since the last trip where I put 200 rounds through.(I've shot maybe 75 rounds since then through it)
    However, I did get to shoot a couple of CC 9mm's and the comparison to my gun was night and day different! I was able to shoot a Khar and a Rorbaugh ultra compact's....the travel on those triggers was unbelievable! I thought i was taking a trip down state or something for how long it took to make it go 'bang'!! also, the small grips on those guys made them not so fun to shoot.
    Albeit, though, the purpose of those guns is strictly self defense at close range. Those 2 are not fun-at-the-range guns....but the XDM sure is!!!!!!!!!!
    The feel of the gun is so much better to me after a comparison basis :D
    oh sigh, i love guns!! I just can't help myself :draw:

happy shooting everyone (I know I will!)

Top Bottom