• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    Have an XDm that needs new sight to help my aging eyes.....I have heard that the XDM sights are near to impossible to remove. Horror stories of torches and dry ice, 10 ton presses and other non-friendly methods. Is there a gunsmith out there can do this quickly (1-2 weeks) or is there a tool I can purchase to install the sights myself without the horrors?

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    james' reputation is good check out the raving reviews on xdtalk.com now i was able to use the mgw tool but did make one small scratch 1/4" long... I personally would have james do it unless you have 3-4 xdm/xds sitting around needing sights in the next year

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    These sights are pushed in with a 20 ton press and they don't come out easily. If you are going to try the hammer and punch, make sure you have enough hammer.
    I changed out two sets on the xd service 4" with a cutoff wheel and my dremel. Just cut them in half perpendicular to the slide. Go slowly and use tape on either side of the sight, in front and behind is not a bad idea.

You could also send them to Springfield. Or to "XD TALK James" in AL who ever he might be.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i know a smith that broke his kimber universal sight pusher on a xd

i'd avoid doing this myself, it's a pain in the a**

Phezzik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Madison County
    The trick to xd sights (having done countless sets on the xd's, xdm's and xds's) is that yes, they are pushed in with a hydraulic press, but they are directional. I busted up a couple sight sets before I figured that little bit out, but now I can usually knock em out and fit new ones in about half an hour (depending on new sights, as sometimes they require fitting). It's all about making sure you knock them out the right direction or they will never move. That and as stated above, a proper sized steel punch and a good solid hammer (removal), and a solid brass punch or MGW sight installation tool (installation).

Disclaimer: This was when I was at my properly equipped shopped in Albuquerque. Ah, the good 'ol days.

Top Bottom