• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I have a buddy interested in buying his first .45 semi-automatic, which will be used 95% home defense/5% target. He likes the feel of my Springfield XD, but I told him he should also check out the XDM. Other than the XDM having an interchangeable back strap or palm swell and a match grade barrel, is there anything else that is materially different? Is the XDM worth the extra $100 or so? Are there better options for a home defense weapon at about the same price? (I'm not a Glock fan, so I didn't go there)

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    My opinion on them is, go with the XD 45 tactical 5", or the XDM45. The reality is, the grip sizes are not that much of a change. They are both great, and so similar it really doesn't make much of a difference. I am hard pressed to choose between them. I have had the 4" 45, and prefer the longer sight radius of the XDM and Tactical. One thing that stands out to me on the XDM 45 is the grip serrations are far more... grippy. The XD gets slick after 2 or 3 years. That would be the main thing to tip the scales in favor of the XDM 45.

All of that being said, I like the Sig P250 full size, the FNP 45, the M&P 45, and single stack 1911s better than the XD and XDM, and not necessarily in that order. I like XDM better than XD, and then it falls to Glocks and double stack 1911s.

Last edited:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have the XD 40 subcompact. It works well is accurate, although I am still playing around with different loads. I haven't been able to see a huge difference between the XD and XDM personally. For self defense I don't think the intruder would much care if he/she is stopped by an XD instead of an XDM.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    from my experience the xdm grip gives you more traction because of the serations on the grip. i prefer the more squareish grip of the regular xd though. triggers are basically the same i could tell no difference between my xd and xdm.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have a buddy interested in buying his first .45 semi-automatic, which will be used 95% home defense/5% target. He likes the feel of my Springfield XD, but I told him he should also check out the XDM. Other than the XDM having an interchangeable back strap or palm swell and a match grade barrel, is there anything else that is materially different? Is the XDM worth the extra $100 or so? Are there better options for a home defense weapon at about the same price? (I'm not a Glock fan, so I didn't go there)

The XDM will be a bit large for carry IMO. The service model XD's are perfect for all applications IMO.

Here are my thoughts on the XDs and XDMs:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2jCAIOIyNo]YouTube - Review: Springfield XD Series of Pistols[/ame]

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Grip was an issue for my XD. Went to the local skateboard shop and picked up a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Skateboard-Grip-Sheet-Black-BUBBLE/dp/B002E0B2BK"]sheet of grip tape[/ame]. I set aside an afternoon and took my time making a pattern for the grip on my XD. I ended up with five perfectly matched panels (sides, front, back and under the trigger guard). The adhesive is superb and so is the tacky grip (similar to rough sandpaper or deck tape). It is thinner than deck tape and doesn't add to the overall grip circumference. Just a suggestion.

To the OP: I don't think the 'M' factor is a game changer. Nice but not necessary ... for me. Just my opinion.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have had the XD and XDM Springfields. Both of them are extremely reliable pistols but I feel the grip on the XDM is much better than the XD.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    It is difficult to choose between the XD and XDm. I have a XD45 tactical and a XDm 45. There is a noticeable difference in grip and slide dimensions. The difference in sight radius is negligible. Maybe an eighth of an inch. There is little difference in recoil impulse and weight. I would say the main differences are the auto takedown feature and the grip. As to whether or not the XDm is worth the money, I bought a XDm chambered in the same caliber as the XD I already had so I say, yes, it is worth it.
    The XDM will be a bit large for carry IMO.

I love when people say stuff like this because I comfortably carry my XDm and XD tactical at the same time.;) One stays concealed and the other open. I'm curious as to why the half inch of barrel difference makes the service model suitable for carry and the XDm to large.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    I've shot both side by side. the XDm shot so much better. Cut my groups in half. Had a better feel in the hand. As mentioned grip inserts don't change the size much but do add a different feel to the grip. IMO worth the 100$

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I personally prefer the XD over the XDM. I am a Glock lover, but have no problem with the XD, I think it is a great firearm and would not hesitate to own one if I did not carry Glock. I just never liked the XDM at all. Just personal prefference. Go with what he likes best, the XD will serve him well if he goes that route because of the price.

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with the above poster. I have the xdm 40 and am looking to upgrade to a .45 and I am looking at a Glock 21. i am leaning towards the feel of the XDM though.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Unless he is dead set on the Xdm, I would go with the Xd. To me the whole X factor is just a bunch of marketing hype. My best advice is, try and shoot both, then decide from there. I owned a Xd .40 service for a while, and it served me well. The only real downside was, they are chunky and heavy. Compared to other polymer framed pistols.

JohnnyTre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Jasper County
    I own the XDM in .40 cal I wanted a full size tactical gun with a rail. If that is the only gun he is going to be using for home defense the XDM or XD is a good choice. But if he is going to want to carry the pistol concealed for me it is difficult to conceal my XDM not because of the barrel but because of the grip being so long but I did not purchase it for the role of concealed carry. Also with the XDM your mags are going to be more expensive. I got a good deal on mine back in 2009 so price wasn't a factor in my decision. If I had to pick and budget was a part of the equation I would opt for the regular XD and put the money that was saved towards a weapon light. I will say that the trigger is very good as compared to my Glock and my XDM is very accurate but that could be the case with the standard XD as well.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Not so with the .45 - they use the exact same mags.

:rockwoot:

When they introduced the XDm45 part of me was hoping for more capacity but it was really nice to buy a new gun and already have a bunch of mags for it and even a couple of holster it fit from my Tactical.

Top Bottom