• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    I just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on this. I have a xdm45 but have always loved 1911s for the looks, reliability, and the history behind them. Thoughts????? :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on this. I have a xdm45 but have always loved 1911s for the looks, reliability, and the history behind them. Thoughts????? :dunno:

It's gonna come down to how it feels in your hand... The XDM is a double stack. 45 rounds are pretty big in diameter anyhow... so that's a super wide grip if you have smaller-ish hands (compared to the single stack 1911)...
    YMMV :twocents:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    T totally different pistols, but both shoot nicely. I had an XDM 45 and it shot well, match grade barrel and all. Not much the same between the two pistol types though besides being 45 acp and having a grip safety. IIRC the XDM45 has one of the smallest grip widths on a poylmer double stack 45, compared to a Glock or FN, or even an M&P 45.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Both are excellent guns, use what feels best for you. Obviously 1911 will be slimmer with a better trigger, while the XDM will win on capacity. I'm not sure if this is a HD gun, competition, carry, etc, but I can say it is very possible to CC a full size 1911. Good luck doing the same with an XDM.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Both are excellent guns, use what feels best for you. Obviously 1911 will be slimmer with a better trigger, while the XDM will win on capacity. I'm not sure if this is a HD gun, competition, carry, etc, but I can say it is very possible to CC a full size 1911. Good luck doing the same with an XDM.

I can CC a full size XD45 13 rd mag no problem. Body type is a factor though. Arnold Schwarzenegger could probably CC a minigun.

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    I have a 5" 45 XD and a 1911. Like a previous post said, the triggers won't feel the same. I have a Powder River Match trigger kit in my XD and it is as good as an XD can get, but it is not like a nice 1911 trigger. You will have to carry the 1911 with the hammer cocked and safety on, that turned me off to carrying a 1911.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I can CC a full size XD45 13 rd mag no problem. Body type is a factor though. Arnold Schwarzenegger could probably CC a minigun.

The XDM has a bit more length in both the grip and barrel than the XD though. Plus...I've seen you CC that XD45. And by "I've seen you," I mean the gun :D Then again, I do know what to look for.

Different strokes for different folks... that ^ is exactly why I choose the 1911.
    Crazy world, brah.

Yep! Cocked and locked single action is my preferred style as well.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    The XDM has a bit more length in both the grip and barrel than the XD though. Plus...I've seen you CC that XD45. And by "I've seen you," I mean the gun :D Then again, I do know what to look for.

How can the XDM45 have more grip length than an XD45? They use the same mags.

And yeah, you have a trained eye so you don't count. ;) It's nice to know someone's checking me out from behind though! :D

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How can the XDM45 have more grip length than an XD45? They use the same mags.

And yeah, you have a trained eye so you don't count. ;) It's nice to know someone's checking me out from behind though! :D

Hahaha, my trained eye would say a non-trained eye could spot it too. But sometimes you don't know.

You're right about the XD/XDM grip length. I was thinking of the 9/40 which are different and forgot the 45 was the same!

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hahaha, my trained eye would say a non-trained eye could spot it too. But sometimes you don't know.

I've OC'd that 45 so many times I don't really care if someone spots that "suspicious bump". Most people passing by me who would care wouldn't notice it long enough "spot" anything anyway. My CC doesn't have to stand up to close examination, just enough to bare a passing resemblance of being "unarmed".

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis

If you're looking for reliability, the XDM is the route to go. This is coming from a guy who just switched from the XD to the 1911 / M&P. Then again the 1911, when selected well, is reliable enough for CC purposes. Just make sure you buy a good one (which will be quite a bit more expensive) and don't dick with it.

For me, I LOVE the 1911 and the M&P. I love how they look, feel, etc. The 1911 most of all. That means I train with them a lot more than with my XD because I ENJOY training with them. That means I'll have a higher skill level with them. Thus, get the gun that you like most of all. You'll use it more and be more proficient with it.

I've OC'd that 45 so many times I don't really care if someone spots that "suspicious bump". Most people passing by me who would care wouldn't notice it long enough "spot" anything anyway. My CC doesn't have to stand up to close examination, just enough to bare a passing resemblance of being "unarmed".

It's true that for social situtations that "bump" doesn't really matter because the people who are afraid of guns tend to be oblivious anyways. And it doesn't really hurt you if a fellow CC guy notices.

However, don't get lazy. There ARE criminals who know what to look for and, if you're displaying an obvious print, you've now given up the single advantage that you had in CCing the gun compared to OCing it.

That could end poorly for you.

Last edited:

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Like any pistol you have that you may carry:), train, train, and train.:ar15: I have both the 1911 for more years than I can recall the xd's and xdm's for only the past 4-5 yrs, with hamhock hands like mine my fingers can wrap around almost anything (except for a clock, sorry). I would trust any of my 1911's or xdm 45 to carry. I always believed it depends on your size and clothing to cc, no I do not open carry, jsut my choice. just a oldman's :twocents:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I like 1911s. And I like SA products.

Can't make a wrong decision, go with what feels best to you. I would be probably be more likely to carry a 1911, but that is just me......

Get both, maybe?

skunkworks1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    for me if going polymer go original with a g21 or a good 1911. and for carry to me weight is a big deal so the lighter the better. just a thought.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom