• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Curious if anyone has experience with both of these for comparison? I do have bigger hands. Just curious how the trigger and recoil is for both. I realize the recoil isn't going to be brutal with a 9mm. I am more interested in whether it is snappy with a lot of muzzle flip. I like a gun with manageable recoil where I can easily pop off 2 rounds on target with no trouble in under a second. Obviously a snappier gun makes this more difficult. I have also considered the P938 if anyone wants to chime in on that too. But I am primarily interested in the XDs and LC9s.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I ppersonally prefer the LC9s and so this is what I bought. I have only handled ad dry fired the XDs but in doing so I found preferred the trigger on the LC9s. Since then I have pit several boxes of ammo through the Ruger and am most satisfied with it. The trigger on it is amazing and it is very accurate oit of the box. It is easy to conceal if you CC as well. It is very lightweight loaded, even with the extended magazine in it. In short I think it is head and shoulders about all of the Nines in this class...

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    The trigger on the new LC9s is just awesome out of the box. Both have very manageable recoil but between the two, I would go with the Ruger no questions asked.

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    +1 for the xds. I think the trigger is far superior, recoil is a bit more manageable, looks better (looks matter to me), and the resale value is better. My:twocents: All of that was worth the extra cost for the xds for me.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Another +1 for the XDS 9mm. Slightly heavier so follow ups are quicker. I also prefer a more aggressive grip texture, which the XDS has. And I believe a much easier take-down process for cleaning (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Give both a try, but if follow ups are a concern, the XDS is for you.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Having XDs 9mm in both 3.3/4.0 and a LC9s, Ruger lighter wt, more felt recoil, but I have the PRP trigger springs in both XDs's. LC9s has lighter trigger than the XDs even with the kits, XDs 's more accurate than the LC9s IMO. Had XS BD sights installed on LC9s at Galloway, but shot 1.5/2" to the right at 8 yds. Ordered TG TFO sights and sent the slide back to change them. XDs are both heavier than the LC9s XDs 20+ oz and LC9s 17 oz. Hope when the FTO sights are in, and a range trip or two, with the LC9s -will become my every day CCW pistol.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Having XDs 9mm in both 3.3/4.0 and a LC9s, Ruger lighter wt, more felt recoil, but I have the PRP trigger springs in both XDs's. LC9s has lighter trigger than the XDs even with the kits, XDs 's more accurate than the LC9s IMO. Had XS BD sights installed on LC9s at Galloway, but shot 1.5/2" to the right at 8 yds. Ordered TG TFO sights and sent the slide back to change them. XDs are both heavier than the LC9s XDs 20+ oz and LC9s 17 oz. Hope when the FTO sights are in, and a range trip or two, with the LC9s -will become my every day CCW pistol.

I have an XDm 9mm and XDm .45cal and love them both! The factory triggers kinda sucked to me. So I swapped them out with PRP Drop-in Trigger Kits. That cut the pull length and reset in half and shaved some weight off the pull weight too (~ 1.5-2 pounds claimed). I also swapped the factory sights for TG TFO (Green/Green) sights on both of them. They are both very accurate and excellent guns. But they are also a bit bulky for some clothing. So I am looking for a slightly smaller single stack for those days. On a side note, I did speak to the folks at PRP a few weeks back. And they did admit that they were in preliminary testing of a possible Trigger Kit for the XDs. But they said the internals on the XDs are different than the XD/XDm. So they couldn't say for sure whether it would be an option or not. But there is a glimmer of hope. I also added the Pearce Grip Extensions to all my Compact Magazines for a better grip.

I am torn between the XDs and LC9s. I see pro's and con's to each.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Have you looked at the Shield and CCP? They're in the same class as well.All of them are going to be comparable. Get your hands on as many of the options as possible, and pick the one that you like the most. Personally, I'd be waiting for the CCP.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Have you looked at the Shield and CCP? They're in the same class as well.All of them are going to be comparable. Get your hands on as many of the options as possible, and pick the one that you like the most. Personally, I'd be waiting for the CCP.

I have looked at the Shield and it looks and feels pretty good. The CCP is nothing but an unrealized dream right now, a rumor. I was pretty excited about it when it showed up at the NRA Show in Indy. But several months later and no solid explanation(s), it still isn't in the stores. I'm a little concerned with the timing since the release of it was delayed about the time Remington pulled the R51. They're both based on the old blow-back design for venting excess gas to help ease recoil.

The XDs is more aggressive in looks and feel. And it is a scaled down version of the familiar XDm platform for me. So I would think that alone would make it easier to switch between carying one of my XDm's and the XDs.

The Ruger LC9s seems to be getting a lot of praise and folks seem to like it. The looks and ergonomics aren't as aggressive as the XDs. But it is more rounded around the edges. So it would be less likely to get caught on anything too.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    So why have you not included the shield if you say it's pretty good? Have you shot it? It seemed to shoot the best for me out of any of the smaller pistols I've shot to date (xds, shield, a few kahrs, pps). But you've got to shoot them (or at least handle them if you can't shoot them) yourself to see what one works best for you.

Any way you look at it, you can't really go wrong. They're all good choices. You just have to figure out what one you shoot the best.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I will simply say that the weight difference issue with recoil hasn't effected any of my follow up shots. I can snap 'em off rapid fire and keep a tight group with it. It's a 9mm which isn't a big recoil round in the first place. My money still goes to the Ruger. Face it, with the XDs a significant amount of the price is for the name alone. not the gun. Ruger is still proud of their weapons but no so proud they feel they need to charge for the name. Stick with the Ruger.

I do have a Shield in 40 cal though. I bought it when I was on a 40 cal kick and wanted a small 40 for concealed carry or a BUG. The SR40c was too large for what I wanted so I spent the name premium on the Shield. I normally open carry. Typically I carry a full sized pistol or revolver openly and a smaller fu of the same caliber concealed. That way I can use the ammo from a dysfunctional weapon in the other.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    In my opinion the trigger on the LC9s is terrible. Smooth, but very very mushy. Also I've not been impressed with the quality control on Ruger semi autos. Working at a gun store I handle a lot of them and the defective rate is much higher than other manufacturers. Ruger fanboys hate all you want, but it's true. The LC9s wouldn't be my first choice, or my second or third of 7th for that matter. Between the two, get the XDs.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Gee, was a smith and an FFL for a long time before giving it up and I found that Rugers were the ones I never saw broken, I own some 40 of them and never had trouble with any of them so I guess I am one super lucky guy. As for mushy trigger, I guess my definition is different as I find it to be crisp and great bu I must have gotten the good one again. Are you sure you had the LC9S? I agree with you the trigger on the hammered LC9 had a horrible, mushy trigger but not the LC9s

There is a lot of Ruger hate on this board and frankly that doesn't bother me. Hate all you want. I would tell the story of my two XD's and the horrible service I was given on them returning them for service but no one would believe it. Say what you will but Ruger never give bad service and they are also FAST to get your gun back to you should you have trouble.

In any case he likely bought the XDs and again, no worries as it is his money.
    I don't hate, I just wonder where all the Ruger hate comes from.:dunno:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    No Ruger hate here. I just prefer some of the other options for polymer handguns. They're good guns, just not my cup of tea. I do intend to own a redhawk at some point, though.

The good thing is, there's a metric ton of great firearms on the market now. Lots of them function extremely well, and everyone can pick from a long list to find the one that they like the best.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I think the xds is the higher quality out of the two. I also think the trigger and sights are better on the xds. As far as the lc9s goes blah. I just don't connect with them. I think the lc9s is better than the original lc9. In summary the xds is a bit better in terms of fit and finish and my personal favorite but they both shoot 9mm bullets. I don't know about y'all but even if it was a .22 I wouldn't want it sailing rounds toward me.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Biggest beef I have with the LC9(s) is the takedown procedure. Come to think of it, that's my gripe with the Shield as well - I don't like having to use extra tools to take something down for cleaning. The XDs, at least in this neck of the woods, is supremely overpriced - though it does have a feel of quality about it that you don't get with Ruger (or even the S&W, IMO). Once Glock throws a single-stack 9 into the race, I think that's where my next buy will be..

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Biggest beef I have with the LC9(s) is the takedown procedure. Come to think of it, that's my gripe with the Shield as well - I don't like having to use extra tools to take something down for cleaning. The XDs, at least in this neck of the woods, is supremely overpriced - though it does have a feel of quality about it that you don't get with Ruger (or even the S&W, IMO). Once Glock throws a single-stack 9 into the race, I think that's where my next buy will be..

I used to have a Shield. Takedown doesn't require any special tools. That little lever you push down behind the chamber, I could push it down with my finger, a stick, a bore brush, a cleaning rod, or anything really.

Takedown is very easy on that firearm, and I don't think it should dissuade anyone from purchasing that firearm.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My finger won't fit in there, and anything else - a stick, brush, rod, screwdriver, brass, etc - is a tool in my book :P Some people may be able to do a Ruger with their fingernails or something too, but I sure as heck can't..

The only thing I like more than taking it down is trying to put it back together - seems like that last 1/4'' before the slide is back far enough to flip the lever down is a bear.

My Shield is a good carrying gun, and a good shooter as well - but it's not (at least to me) as easy to break down as some others.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    In my opinion the trigger on the LC9s is terrible. Smooth, but very very mushy. Also I've not been impressed with the quality control on Ruger semi autos. Working at a gun store I handle a lot of them and the defective rate is much higher than other manufacturers. Ruger fanboys hate all you want, but it's true. The LC9s wouldn't be my first choice, or my second or third of 7th for that matter. Between the two, get the XDs.
    Not a Ruger fanboy but this post has me scratching my head. The lc9s that I own has the best trigger of any striker fired pistol I've ever shot. No one comes close.

Top Bottom