• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    XDS owners: what self defense ammo do you carry?

With such a short barrel, I'm wondering what kind of velocity I'm getting with 230 gr bullets. Or any ammo for that matter.

I'm going to try Federal 230 HST +P, Hornady Crit Def 185 gr, and Hornady Crit Def 200 gr +P. I'm thinking the +P is going to hurt, but again with the short barrel, maybe not. Target rounds 230gr are very manageable.

Open to suggestions/experience.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking that with such a short barrel, any upscale/hollow point cartridge won't have a chance to expand. Might as well stay with 230 ball....which, at XDs distance oughta be more than enough. :dunno:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This might help.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4lV8wwCzsso[/ame]

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW2Y-IZpyE&feature=relmfu[/ame]

This Youtube channel is great. Has a lot of tests in it.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Standard pressure was sold out, or I'd have bought that.

Wouldn't the standard pressure have the same, if not worse effect?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...With such a short barrel, I'm wondering what kind of velocity I'm getting with 230 gr bullets. Or any ammo for that matter. ...

As you should be. See the "barrel length implications" note on this page ==>> Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo .

If you don't want to buy/borrow a chrono, you could just test candidates for carry ammo. As long as the bullets perform as desired (in terms of expansion and penetration) you're not all that concerned about the velocity anyway.

Water and paper milk/juice cartons work well. From firearmstactical.com: "
    "A Simple Method for Testing Bullets with Your Guns
    A quick and easy method to determine bullet or shotshell performance out of any handgun or shotgun is to gather several (and we mean several -- about 30) cardboard half-gallon milk cartons (plastic won't do).
    Fill them full of water, line them up side-by-side three abreast, in three rows of 10 (each carton should be in contact with its neighbor). Back-up several feet and shoot a bullet from your handgun into the center row of cartons.
    Count the number of water filled cartons the bullet penetrated, including the carton where the bullet came to rest. Multiply the number of cartons times 2.5 to determine penetration depth in inches. This will give you a SWAG (scientific wild-ass gauge) of how your gun/cartridge combination will perform in soft tissue (both bullet expansion and penetration).
    The data obtained and averaged from three test shots should give you a fairly accurate SWAG. Remember to observe all safety rules when handling your firearm."

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The January edition of American Rifleman has a test on the XDS. They showed results from 3 different rounds;

1. Hornady 230gr HAP #90985--694fps

2. Remington 230gr MC #LN45AP4-- 698fps

3. Buffalo Bore 185gr +P Barnes TAC-XP-- 1107fps

Top Bottom