• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I think radios are really a personal choice, you balance out what you want/need and your price point and go. My first HT was an FT60, it was great for what I wanted, folks told me all sorts of things, but I loved it, pick what you like and want and go for it. You'll use it so get what you think will serve you best.

The best advice you've gotten IMO is from Sailor......."Get a good antenna" especially for your home. Doesn't matter how good a radio you get, if you're using a coat hanger you're not going to get very far.

Last edited:

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    In a shtf sitaution, will 2m or 440 be the best choice? I mean the repeater will most likely fail, or do many have back up power and if so for how long? I always thought 2m for local few mile coverage in a simplex mode would be fine. But for a longer or more group/ news coverage HF would be the best way to go. Whats the thought on this?
    (Let me know if I should make this its own thread??)

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Don't want to highjack things here, but I agree, when SHTF, HF will be the preferred method. There is an arguement about whether you'll really want to transmit or not during SHTF though. I couldn't give you any idea of how many repeaters have back up power, but I bet most wouldn't last long in a real SHTF situaiton (fuel reserves/theft etc). I bought a really nice SW radio that cover the ham bands last year. It works well and is part of my gear to go.

The OP is just getting their ticket so I beleive that's why the questions are basically dealing with equipment for 2m and 440.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I agree, and the OP is not wrong by any means for wanting to get 2m and 440 I love it. But since this is a shft, "I think(hence all my question marks)"
    that if we or I didn't bring that up we would be doing him an in justice since he is trying to prep. I have been wondering this myself.. lately I really like talking on 2m, and I was considering making a 2m radio go box, but during research it appears most go box radios are hf. Am I way off base here....

To OP god luck on getting your ticket!!!!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    In reality, for shtf contact your group with a group text. At least one member monitors the radio for skywarn reports or fire/police/ambulance/hospitals etc. He relays this to the group.

Almost all emcomm traffic will be VHF.

One member needs a roof antenna, we get 23 miles simplex here. I am hub for all traffic and can relay to those who can not hear/transmit that distance.

Many repeaters are battery backed up. My VHF go box is a tiny ht in an otter box.

My HF box is an FT-857D with tuner, signalink, batteries, antenna, etc. I can talk local or the world on it. Although NVIS is probably the most useful mode to work for regional disasters.

My 2 cents, after a few drinks.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Don't want to highjack things here, but I agree, when SHTF, HF will be the preferred method. There is an arguement about whether you'll really want to transmit or not during SHTF though. I couldn't give you any idea of how many repeaters have back up power, but I bet most wouldn't last long in a real SHTF situaiton (fuel reserves/theft etc). I bought a really nice SW radio that cover the ham bands last year. It works well and is part of my gear to go.

The OP is just getting their ticket so I beleive that's why the questions are basically dealing with equipment for 2m and 440.

I tested several small SW radios. The best I tested was the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, with sideband. I was able to pick up cw and decode it with an app on my phone. Long clip on wire antenna a must.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Just got the Baofeng in today. Seems pretty good build quality. It's not built like a rock or anything, but it appears to be able to take some abuse (Not sure about hits to solid rock or concrete). Apparently I didn't order the cable, so I'm doing that now...

I'm all for the prep perspective on radios, but since I'm not even licensed yet VHF/UHF is more than enough. Should have Tech this weekend, or at least the test passed and waiting of the FCC.

I don't think I ever really layed out my "Agenda".

Basically I want a mobile rig with a compact fixed antenna and a longer one that I can mount onto my truck. I want to be able to take it out and use it as a base station, but I don't have any plans of setting it up at home. If I get into it more I'll look for a real base station.

This is mostly just a feet wetting thing. Something that I do want the means to do, and the know how to go with it. I don't think I'll be on the air all that much, but Field Days and just the tinkering aspects do appeal to me.

As always, I do appreciate the perspectives and input. Will update again after I get it charged and get to listen in. Hopefully the FCC isn't too slow at updating things so I can press the key sooner than later.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm taking my test in a few weeks and I saw this thread. Anyone have suggestions for antennas?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Antenna for what? Roof, car, HT?

Yup.

Also I am not sure when the SHTF if HF is going to be all that handy, I guess it just depends on how widespread the SHTF is. If it's a nuclear SHTF then your sold state HF rig might be toasted anyway...band condx are going to suck no matter what.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yup.

Also I am not sure when the SHTF if HF is going to be all that handy, I guess it just depends on how widespread the SHTF is. If it's a nuclear SHTF then your sold state HF rig might be toasted anyway...band condx are going to suck no matter what.

Diamond antennas are gtg.

I agree that VHF will be the most useful. Especially if someone in your group has a tower or a high gain antenna at elevation.

HF may be more useful just for intel. Get a code reading program so you can decode morse. Low power code may be popular.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would be interested in a mobile antenna. Sorry, I thought that was assumed considering we are talking about mobile radios, but I realize now that I wasn't considering the possibility that some people use mobile radios as bases.

I may just buy a handheld for now, but I'm open to opinions on that. I actually would rather get my license and listen for a while before I start talking over the airwaves, because I'm a transient at this point.

I'm a CBer like many people coming to amateur radio and mostly I'd just like to chitchat with other radio nerds for now. The $300 we're talking about for these radios seems like quite a bit, but I'm shocked at how much radio one gets when compared to CB radios.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Diamond antennas are gtg.

I agree that VHF will be the most useful. Especially if someone in your group has a tower or a high gain antenna at elevation.

HF may be more useful just for intel. Get a code reading program so you can decode morse. Low power code may be popular.

I don't need a computer program to decode code. :rockwoot:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    PistolBob -- You're the "one" in every group (& good for you). If it's slow enough, I can read it; really need more practice (I did have to do 5WPM for my General).

All -- If we ever get into a real & large scale SHTF, will be power. And at some point, if power cannot be produced, all these items will be worthless.

Just my 2-cents..... Greg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    PistolBob -- You're the "one" in every group (& good for you). If it's slow enough, I can read it; really need more practice (I did have to do 5WPM for my General).

All -- If we ever get into a real & large scale SHTF, will be power. And at some point, if power cannot be produced, all these items will be worthless.

Just my 2-cents..... Greg

Greg...that's why QRP CW is where salvation lies. Work the world on 5 watts and a good wire antenna, small power pack. My CW is about 25 wpm...at one time I could get to maybe 35 wpm...but not lately. I don't have enough time to be on the air as much as I'd like to be. We need to teach these new hams how to handle CW. Once they see how much fun it is, they'll be hooked. Tried mobile CW for a bit, almost got myself killed a few times so I gave it up.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    It's one of those things I would like to do, but my project list is huge already. Meanwhile I have to rely on phone apps and software.

Sailor, that's fine as long as we have cell phone towers working, and plenty of renewable/rechargeable power.

My QRP CW rigs are all powered with small format SLA battery packs that I can charge from a couple of solar panels and a regulator I built. I call that low overhead communications. Portable antennas are end fed wires, mostly half waves and a little homebrew impedance matcher. (Thanks to AA5TB's most spectacular website at AA5TB - The End Fed Half Wave Antenna )

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have my 857 set to run off SLA batteries in a go box if needed. I have sent and decoded psk, using my phone for the software. CW decoding software is crap, but you can get the gist of the conversation. I have enough solar, generators and inverter's to keep in power, just lacking the code language.

Some tiny SDR things are on the horizon and should be getting affordable.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Forgot to update earlier, I passed my tech. Went ahead and too the General but only got 19 of 35 right so only a Tech at the moment. I haven't broadcasted yet, just listening still.

The Baofeng seems pretty good, It does need a better antenna for sure - looking into a MFJ 15" for it.

Also pulled the manual online for the 2900R and it does have the features I thought it didn't, so I'm going to get that one ordered. I wont be able to install it until I do so work on my truck. It's kicking out 1 volt too many and I don't want to hook anything up until that's fixed.

At the testing site I saw a few mobile antennas that were bumper mounted - Does that not hurt the antennas TX/RX much? I would have though having it next to a metal body panel would be bad. Is the end result still better than a shorter antenna mounted above the car? I'd have no issue mounting a 5/8ths if I didn't need to have it sitting up above the truck.

Edit:
    Since it's in discusses (or was 2 days ago:) One of the features I though the 2900R didn't have was the CW trainer...it does have an adjustable trainer. You can set WPM or CPM. Random output - I assume the words are just groups of letter but they may be actual words.

Top Bottom