• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Do you have a handheld? I took the practice tests for the tech and I should have no problem passing; the test is on October 7th. The General looks much harder.

I'm really on the fence as to whether I want to spend $3-400 on a mobile radio. I kinda wish I could find a used rig, even if it only had a single band, just so I can listen more until I decide what I want in the truck.

What kind of antenna setup are you using?

BTW, make sure you're using a good meter to figure out if your truck really is putting out 1 volt too much. If that's true, that is a very uncommon symptom in this day and age.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    2900r is 162.00 and delivered in two days.

Yes, but it's also VHF only, and a lot of this thread has been about dual band radios. There are repeaters for both in my area. Is there a lot more traffic on the 2m than the UHF bands?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I use my HT at work to monitor UHF- schools, hospitals, ems, county fire, etc. But never hear repeater traffic.

Mostly I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't giving up any versatility that I would later desire. The 2900r is smaller and far less expensive, though, which I like.

I do want to make sure I have something to grow into. But it also seems like if 2 meter is where all the action is, I might as well just get a 2 meter single band mobile and get a handheld for everything else if necessary.

I'm open to opinions, however, because I'm still a week out before I take the exam.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah thats what I would do. You will appreciate having the HT at times.

Plenty to learn, and you can set up the 2900r for a roof mounted antenna also.

Black Radio disease is worse than Black Rifle disease. You will be hooked and buying something else.

My 857d, is my base, but ready for the go box in portable mode.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Do you have a handheld?

What kind of antenna setup are you using?

BTW, make sure you're using a good meter to figure out if your truck really is putting out 1 volt too much. If that's true, that is a very uncommon symptom in this day and age.

I've got a Baofang 5R-VU, I like it for the money and think I'll like it even after playing with some others.

Going to get a new antnna for the 5R, and debating on the FT-2900R antenna. Looking at getting 2 for the 2900R, a smaller and larger one, both truck mounted.

It's a 79 For Courier with a 2.3L engine/35 amp alternator at the moment. Upgrading to a 3 wire 12SI @ 100amps in the next week. Used a decent Multimeter - Greenlee from Lowes.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The mount would be the next question. I'm too lazy to drill a hole in my roof. My CB is on a hood mount right now. There are stake pocket mounts that fit under the cap that could work, or I could put a hood mount on the other side.

I should probably just buy a handheld first. And study for my general class (tech is going to be a joke, why didn't I do this years ago?)

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    3/4ths NMO seems to be the mount of choice.

The Firestik mount I'm using for my CB antenna is similar in design, but the way it attaches is stronger (I can use bolts and nuts) so perhaps I should just get another one of those and put it right next to the one I have. It's actually made for a Chevy or something but it works great on my Ford Ranger.

They're only $9 a piece, too.

The 3/4ths NMO, in my case, would require using sheet metal screws or something, which I think it less than ideal.

It's amazing the volume of stuff that is out there in ham land. Someone really needs to make a good website to weed through it all.

In the end though, it's probably just like CB--you're better off just getting a radio and talking rather than trying to trick out everything.

The 1900R + antenna and mount is under $200...sounds like it might be the ticket.

The similar Kenwood radio looks really nice, too.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I can create my own if so.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I went with this setup:

YAESU FT2900R 2M MOBILE 184.95 184.95
    LARSEN NMO-150B 144 5/8 COIL & W490B 29.95 29.95
    LARSEN TMB34B TRUNK L-BRACKET BLACK .75 8.95 8.95
    LARSEN NMO-K MTG .5IN TO 17FT RG58 PL 19.95 19.95
    SUBTOTAL 243.80
    SHIPPING 9.95
    LESS COUPON -25.00
    TOTAL 228.75

Seems like a pretty decent deal to me (And I get a hat with it). I was going to weld up my own bracket but one for 9 bucks and painted seems more than worth it. The plan is to mount this on the inside back of my truck bed near the tailgate.

Depending on how this antenna works I'll put up a smaller one for everyday use, and keep this on hand when needed.

QRZ.com has some pretty decent content and forums. I haven't really done to much searching one stop sites but there is a load of info scattered around.

I also ordered my 100A 3 wire 12SI alternator and some heavier wires. Those should be in before the radio so nothing to hold me back from getting the radio running when it arrives.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm thinking about going with the Kenwood TM 281A. I like my Firestik hood mount, which I may use for a VHF antenna as well. Antenna and coax I'm up in the air on and haven't researched. But under $200 sounds good. I'd like to buy a handheld right away just to scan/listen, but I will have to look into that too so I don't end up with something I just need to turn over shortly.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    One more question for you guys. It seems that the Kenwood versus Yaesu debate is like Ford versus Chevy, so I don't want to ask that, but I do have a specific question regarding the brands.

The USB cables for programming the radios are fairly cheap (around $10), but the Kenwood software is free, whereas the Yaesu software is not. This would add $30-40 to the cost of the radio if I desired to program it with a computer rather than with the display.

I like the Yaesu radio better because it has a bigger display (because the speaker isn't in the front), but I'm tempted to buy the Kenwood anyway, because I will be able to get that software for free.

Should I just get the Yaesu and forget about programming it with a computer?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I will see if I can dig up a programming file for you for this radio.

I went with this setup:

SUBTOTAL 243.80
    SHIPPING 9.95
    LESS COUPON -25.00
    TOTAL 228.75

Seems like a pretty decent deal to me (And I get a hat with it). I was going to weld up my own bracket but one for 9 bucks and painted seems more than worth it. The plan is to mount this on the inside back of my truck bed near the tailgate.

Depending on how this antenna works I'll put up a smaller one for everyday use, and keep this on hand when needed.

QRZ.com has some pretty decent content and forums. I haven't really done to much searching one stop sites but there is a load of info scattered around.

I also ordered my 100A 3 wire 12SI alternator and some heavier wires. Those should be in before the radio so nothing to hold me back from getting the radio running when it arrives.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    you want the programming software for whichever you get; I went my first 9years as a ham without using software and now that I have it, don't know how I got along without it (too much manual programming to get everything in)

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    you want the programming software for whichever you get; I went my first 9years as a ham without using software and now that I have it, don't know how I got along without it (too much manual programming to get everything in)

That's what I'm thinking, too. Which is a shame, because I really like the display on the Yaesu radios, but if the software costs 1/3 of what the radio costs, it seems as if the decision is made for me.

If there's a less expensive software option I'm overlooking, I like the look of the Yaesu radio better. Even the 1900, which is nice and small, has a nice display compared to the Kenwood.

Dirtracer49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I went with this setup:

SUBTOTAL 243.80
    SHIPPING 9.95
    LESS COUPON -25.00
    TOTAL 228.75

Seems like a pretty decent deal to me (And I get a hat with it).

Can you share where you got this deal. I'm looking for a FT-2900 also.
    Thanks,

Top Bottom