• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Can you share where you got this deal. I'm looking for a FT-2900 also.
    Thanks,

You can get an even better deal here:
    YAESU FT-2900R - RADIOS>RADIO TRANSCEIVERS>MOBILE RADIOS>2M RADIOS

I am taking my test on Sunday morning. I've been studying for the General, too, and I think I have a pretty good chance of passing both if I can study the General materials for another few hours before Sunday.

I'm still deciding on a mobile, but leaning toward the Yaesu, because I really like their higher end options and I would like to put the 8800R in my other truck with a remote kit.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I got it from Universal-Radio.com out of Reynoldsville OH. The manufacture coupons all expired on the 30th, but they're doing a rebate of the same value. Everyone seems to be within a dollar or two of each other. I was very happy with the shipping time since it only had to come from Ohio. All was very well packaged.

Yaesu FT-2900R, Yaesu FT2900R Mobile Transceiver

I haven't hooked up the radio yet, but it feels solid and very well built. I'm doing an alternator swap on my truck this weekend if all goes well and I'll have the radio setup then.

Last edited:

David202

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You can get an even better deal here:
    YAESU FT-2900R - RADIOS>RADIO TRANSCEIVERS>MOBILE RADIOS>2M RADIOS

I am taking my test on Sunday morning. I've been studying for the General, too, and I think I have a pretty good chance of passing both if I can study the General materials for another few hours before Sunday.

I'm still deciding on a mobile, but leaning toward the Yaesu, because I really like their higher end options and I would like to put the 8800R in my other truck with a remote kit.

Good luck on the test. There is a reasonable chance looking over the General questions as well will let you pass both - that's what I did.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I have been studying my ass off and took nearly 50 practice test. I have passed the vast majority of the general exams so I think I have a real chance. I won't have an HF rig for a long while, but it will be nice to have the privileges.

I already knew plenty about electricity so that part was easy, but the radio-specific stuff, and memorizing the bandwidths and all that has been a challenge--so I've been practicing. 50 practice tests x 35 questions = 1750 practice questions.

Yeah, I better get back to studying.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I really like my Kenwood TM-V71A.
    I'm not trying to compare it to anything as I do not have experience with the Yaesu products. But I really like the V71A's memory management and ease of programing.

I use it as both a base station and mobile in my truck. In the truck I use a diamond MR77 magmount. In the house I use a Diamond X30A in my attic.

I've considered getting a 2900R to keep in the truck full-time, but I have an old Alinco 2m handheld that I keep in the truck that works when the V71A is in the house.

I'm hoping over winter I can get back "into it" a little more. I'd like to start to learn morse, and maybe dable with echolink a little (I have a buddy out east who I'm trying to push into getting his licence, then we could talk "2m" [via echolink]).

I'm considering joining a local club and getting involved w/ ARES. I'm not one to chat much, especially w/ strangers. Knowing people on the air might get me more into it. Right now I'm 99.9% listen only.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Do you have a handheld? I took the practice tests for the tech and I should have no problem passing; the test is on October 7th. The General looks much harder.

I'm really on the fence as to whether I want to spend $3-400 on a mobile radio. I kinda wish I could find a used rig, even if it only had a single band, just so I can listen more until I decide what I want in the truck.

What kind of antenna setup are you using?

BTW, make sure you're using a good meter to figure out if your truck really is putting out 1 volt too much. If that's true, that is a very uncommon symptom in this day and age.

Ask around, and look online. I found someone at my workplace looking to get rid of an old handheld... so my first radio was a 2m handheld and I think I pd $40 bucks or something like that for the radio, a couple of batteries, and the charger. I still keep it in the truck and can use it with my mag mount with a couple of connector adaptors.

If I remember right, I may have even bought it before I got my license, and just listened in to some of the local repeater nets.

-rvb

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I have a handheld in route, still deciding on a mobile. Probably going to go with the Yaesu FT-2900R.

I went to a hamfest today and saw a bunch of radios for sale. I also saw a lot of crap. I did see a few nice 2m mobiles but they wanted $75 a piece for them, so I passed. I did buy an SWR meter for $10. Now the long wait until the FCC issues my callsign and it's awwwn.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have a handheld in route, still deciding on a mobile. Probably going to go with the Yaesu FT-2900R.

I went to a hamfest today and saw a bunch of radios for sale. I also saw a lot of crap. I did see a few nice 2m mobiles but they wanted $75 a piece for them, so I passed. I did buy an SWR meter for $10. Now the long wait until the FCC issues my callsign and it's awwwn.

The wait is not that long if you know where to look online. Did your examiners give you the info on pulling your call sign from FCC.gov?

-rvb

jackhandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Evansville
    I just put a Yaesu 8800R in my vehicle and I love it...the lack of backlighting so far hasnt been an issue. I bought mine off of Craigslist and got a hell of steal.
    I'm excited to have the ability to cross band repeat but have not used it for that purpose yet.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The wait is not that long if you know where to look online. Did your examiners give you the info on pulling your call sign from FCC.gov?

-rvb

Actually, no. But I must have checked a dozen times today. Still no call sign!

Either way, my HT still isn't here. And my gf is threatening to do bad things to me if I buy a mobile radio.

David202

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Actually, no. But I must have checked a dozen times today. Still no call sign!

Either way, my HT still isn't here. And my gf is threatening to do bad things to me if I buy a mobile radio.

If I recall correctly, when I got my license (~2 years) it took ~4 business days to appear in ULS (just an FYI).

Just wait until you talk on the radio with your SO in the car. My wife really enjoys it when I listen/talk on the radio when we are on road trips.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I end up making many trips from Iowa where I go to school, to Indiana, where I reside.

It'll be nice to have someone to chat with, when she's not there.

And yes, it'll just be a day or two more. I feel like I've been waiting 8 years though...should have done this years ago.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    That's what I'm thinking, too. Which is a shame, because I really like the display on the Yaesu radios, but if the software costs 1/3 of what the radio costs, it seems as if the decision is made for me.

If there's a less expensive software option I'm overlooking, I like the look of the Yaesu radio better. Even the 1900, which is nice and small, has a nice display compared to the Kenwood.

It's been a while, but I think I paid more for the cable than I did the software (for the FT-8800R). The software for the FT-60R (handheld) was free, but the cable was about $15.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Software for the 1900-2900 is $15 Another option is to split your power connection an terminate them with Anderson Power Poles. Then just wire a red LED off the split to illuminate your radio. I do this for my go boxes. I have red and white ones, but the white is really too bright.

The free Chirp software supports the following Kenwood radios.

Kenwood
    TH-D7A/G
    TH-D72
    TH-F6A
    TH-K2
    TM-271A/281A
    TM-D700
    TM-D710
    TM-G707 (in daily builds)
    TM-V7A
    TM-V71A

You can easily add a route or zip code or county with Chirp. Radioreference.com importing requires you be a radioreference premium member though.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The free Chirp software supports the following Kenwood radios.

You can easily add a route or zip code or county with Chirp. Radioreference.com importing requires you be a radioreference premium member though.

these tools program repeaters into the radio for a route/location? you mean I didn't have to spend hrs looking at maps and the repeater book while entering repeaters for my vacation? programming SW suddenly looks worthwhile for the first time.....

-rvb

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    In Chirp you can directly import from Radioreference and Repeaterbook. The direct import in repeaterbook, asks for a county I believe. But on the web I have used the proximity feature and chosen all repeaters around a 50 mile zip code and saved it as a chirp file, then just use the import function.

Granted it is free user supported software, and will have some bugs, but I like the importing features much better than the software I paid for.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Got my HT today, still no callsign, hoping for that tomorrow.

Haven't heard any traffic here in lovely Iowa yet other than some CW on the local 440 repeater. I've got ~24 channels programmed so far and was scanning them for an hour or so.

The new Baofang UV-5R (new firmware) doesn't work with Chirp yet, or the software it came with. I got it to work with VIP, so I'm using that for now. I'll switch to Chirp when they come out with a new version. I spent ~2 hours trying to get the driver to cooperate with the cable. Got that squared away and neither the Baofang or Chirp software would work. Tried VIP and it worked, so I programmed the ~2 dozen local stations and finally I'm "on" the air...listening anyway.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Haven't heard any traffic here in lovely Iowa yet other than some CW on the local 440 repeater. I've got ~24 channels programmed so far and was scanning them for an hour or so.

If there are radio clubs in your area w/ websites, you may be able to find out when some "nets" are active. For instance, in this area there are a few nightly nets at specific times. And Weekly nets on Wednesdays at various times. Some are just for chatting, one is a "help and swap" net, one is the ARES training net, etc. Then there is the SKYWARN net when weather is bad, etc.

-rvb

Top Bottom