• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Tip: For ARs, you deinately don't need a special bore sight tool... take the upper off, pull the bolt/carrier, put it on a bench (easiest w/ a vise), look down the bore and find a spot it's aiming at, then adjust your sights to be on the same spot. I just did this recently w/ a new rifle and new scope. W/in a couple inches at 50yds first shot and took seconds to do....

-rvb

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It's really just a "trick", or field-expedient way of zeroing if you replace one or the other.

I still prefer getting out and zeroing by shooting groups and adjusting accordingly. Its very zen-like. :D
    I can understand and have used the Irons to install a rough zero on the reddots and ACOGs. I just don't get how you can replace the rear with the red and front sight as the dot is not in a fixed location. Might just be me and the Vodka thinking to hard about it. :dunno::popcorn:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I can understand and have used the Irons to install a rough zero on the reddots and ACOGs. I just don't get how you can replace the rear with the red and front sight as the dot is not in a fixed location. Might just be me and the Vodka thinking to hard about it. :dunno::popcorn:

Look at a red dot this way.... the dot IS in a fixed location, it's your head that's not (causing the dot to "appear" to move; but it doesn't, really). If, when aligning the irons, the FS, RS, and dot are in alignment, then all is zero'd. If not, something needs adjusted. Hopefully you know which.

The vodka should help. suggest drinking more.

-rvb

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Tip: For ARs, you deinately don't need a special bore sight tool... take the upper off, pull the bolt/carrier, put it on a bench (easiest w/ a vise), look down the bore and find a spot it's aiming at, then adjust your sights to be on the same spot. I just did this recently w/ a new rifle and new scope. W/in a couple inches at 50yds first shot and took seconds to do....

-rvb
    I usually do not have a bench or a vise when I am putting a sight on an weapon... ;)

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    It comes down to any 2 points make a staight line. if you have 3 points its still a straight line. Take one point away (down to 2 points) still a straight line. Add a 3rd point again and line it up with the 2 "good" points and you now have 3 points in a straight line again. This is not accounting for paralax of course

I have a crappy paint drawing to show it but my picture load feature is missing for some reason

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hey, the ARMS sights are nice. I have an ARMS #40 rear sight. Those folding fronts are pretty strong too. I would rather have a taper pinned gas block option though.

Top Bottom